Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I like my 65mm and think its the better option for me. I have more power and clarity then the smaller ones yet not as big and bulky as the 80+mm ones. I did check out the new 50mm Razor the other day and it was pretty sweet. I still would prob grab my 65mm Swarovski out of the safe though when it came time to head to hills.

I have the 20-60x eyepice right now, but I would really like the wide angle 25-50x.
    Last edited by jarheadhunter; 07-15-2013 at 11:34 AM. Reason: added info

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Mark, as you can infer from many of the posts, you, like most of us want to use our spotter in multiple ways so one of the major things you have to ask yourself is what will be my main application. If you are an established backpacker, or you are a guy that will stick with what you do and will be mostly packing the scope up, then you should go with a 50mm-65mm scope. If you think you will end up doing a lot of glassing from camp or just off the road then a bigger scope will be better. There is a nice benefit that comes will larger scopes, they will perform better at higher magnifications. If you take two of the same scopes, one a 65mm and one a 85mm, the 85mm will be brighter. The only way to have a smaller scope perform comparable to a larger scope is to increase the quality of the scope. Many people will compare the 85mm Vortex Razor with the 65mm Swaro. If you were to make that comparison and found them to be equal you could buy the Vortex to save money, however, it is not a very packable scope due to size and weight. If you can afford the swaro 65mm it will perform great at high magnification (not as good as the Swaro 80mm) it is a 20-60x, and is smaller and lighter then the Vortex so it is still packable. Once you have your price range you apply that the the scopes in question and the way you will use it. You might want to get a higher quality 65mm than a 80-85mm larger scope, same price range.

I have the Nikon ED 50mm and I love it, because it does what I need it to do, however, if I hunt a different area I will be looking to get the 65mm Swaro so I have more magnification and better light gathering. The 50mm's quality diminishes at the high end of 30x similar to the 65mm diminishing around the 40x, so you will get at least 10x the magnification will equal performance. Usually you have a better eye piece with the bigger scope.
    Last edited by clacklin009; 07-15-2013 at 12:16 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 39 Times in 2 Posts
    Thanks for all the great info guys. I'm relatively new here and it's been really awesome to get such good feedback and personal tips.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    ..........This is a tough question, and it seems I am always changing my mind on it.
    Then we are in trouble since a fair number of us rely on BB to help us make up our minds. I am trying to decide whether or not to sell my ED50 and I may just go with Bitters latest trend, 65 scope for all around.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My personal outlook on this is...

my binos will usually be a 10x43 sized, so 10x

my scope will have an upper end of 10x or 14x

I'd consider 2 spotters, 1 big one for from the truck style spotting, and in this case, bigger the better, 80mm glass etc... and then a lightweight spotter something like a 20-30x with a smaller than 80mm objective. So depending what your spotter will be used for, yes it would determine what size I'd get.

and yes I wouldn't want a spotter of the same mag as my binos, what's the point then? plus your binos have 2 lens for 2 eyes vs. 1 of a spotter. so I'd leave the spotter home in that case.

bigger spotter glass means being able to use more upper end mag too, usually. ie... a 60x on a 100mm lens will work but on a 65mm lens god luck using 60x unless everything is perfect in the atmosphere...

I believe my spotter is a 20-60x 65mm and rarely am I able to use it to full 60x magnification in the field...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyMusky View Post
    My personal outlook on this is...

my binos will usually be a 10x43 sized, so 10x

my scope will have an upper end of 10x or 14x

I'd consider 2 spotters, 1 big one for from the truck style spotting, and in this case, bigger the better, 80mm glass etc... and then a lightweight spotter something like a 20-30x with a smaller than 80mm objective. So depending what your spotter will be used for, yes it would determine what size I'd get.

and yes I wouldn't want a spotter of the same mag as my binos, what's the point then? plus your binos have 2 lens for 2 eyes vs. 1 of a spotter. so I'd leave the spotter home in that case.

bigger spotter glass means being able to use more upper end mag too, usually. ie... a 60x on a 100mm lens will work but on a 65mm lens god luck using 60x unless everything is perfect in the atmosphere...

I believe my spotter is a 20-60x 65mm and rarely am I able to use it to full 60x magnification in the field...
    What spotter are you using husky?
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!