Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Need Some Direction

Guy thought it may help if I post this story.

This is a long shot…

I am a Battalion Chief in the fire service on the west coast. I sit here tonight having gone through an extremely difficult year and a half. In fact, it has been a difficult 23 years. I have watched four of my brother’s fall as they served their community. Two of my true friends, outstanding leader’s in our community, Russ Locatelli and Johnny Carmesin, left our department under circumstances that were not predictable. Unfortunately, the stress of the job exacerbated a cardiac condition in Russ and Johnny was shot (yes shot) on the job. Bottom line….Russ needs a heart transplant and Johnny needs a break. Both of them have beautiful families that have suffered more than anyone should. Don’t get me wrong, they are not living in a bed of death, they choose to live life with the cards they have been dealt. Both of these outstanding men are avid outdoorsmen and conservationists. Each of them have families that should be commended for standing strong during adversity.

Russ joined the fire service as a volunteer firefighter around 1990, Johnny joined in 1977. Both of them have a combined service to country and community of over 40 years. I was there when Johnny was shot while on duty, he was down on the ground fighting for his life as was another friend of ours. I won’t forget the day when we loaded Russ into the plane for medical care, not knowing if we would ever see him again. Both of those days haunt me every day of my life. Not many people can understand the feeling of seeing two men who have given so much to their community fall in the line of duty.

Here is my issue…

Both Russ and Johnny have never received a proper retirement or separation. Russ retired as a Battalion Chief and Johnny an Engineer that was getting ready to promote to an Assistant Chief. There are numerous issues that prevented both from receiving a proper thank you and good bye. The primary reason is time. Both cases were drug out for so long that each got lost in time. Normally we would give them a proper send off to show our appreciation but in these cases, we didn’t.

I am sitting home alone tonight thinking about both of these outstanding men, men who are avid outdoorsmen, outstanding friends, phenomenal fathers, and incomparable leaders. I need to do something to thank them. We have talked and talked and talked about doing something to repay them and show our appreciation for their service but it has always stopped at the talking. I want to stop talking and act.

I am asking you for guidance. Here is what I need….

I want to give these fine men the proper gift of appreciation….the hunt of a lifetime. Together!

I will trade, beg, borrow, and save to make this happen. I am not looking for a hand me down. I have saved $2000 of my own money to do something special for them. Something like an awesome hunt. Here is what I ask of you….

Can you please give me guidance in a way to make this plan come to fruition? Do you know of someone or somewhere that can help me make this happen? I see shows on TV that help our beloved wounded soldiers. There has to be something that helps our beloved wounded firefighters. There can’t be many men that deserve it more than Russ and Johnny. I ask for your help. I am thinking of some sort of adventure that puts these two great men in their element, hunting large game or ducks. Something that brings them together and gives them the thanks they deserve.

I thank you for your help.

SC

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Pretty neat brother! Have you spoke with either of these men about what their "dream hunt" would be. With the budget I would rule out a marco polo sheep hunt but I think if you talk with a few outfitters in say Az, or Colorado, maybe Idaho. You may be able to get your buddies chasing muleys in the desert, or elk in the pinions. Im not very well connected with guides or outfitters so I can't really point you in the right direction but each state mentioned has plenty of options for an outfitter. And most of them are good hearted fellas that take kindly to men who serve their community.

Fill us in a bit more on the specifics of what your going for here. I dont think you mentioned age of your buddies. Or animal or weapon preference.

Look forward to seeing how this turns out for you and your buddies!

Also welcome to the forum!
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Sent you a PM
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    There is a member here that has a awesome ranch that has extended his land for hunting to a few in the past. I will PM you some contact info and he may be able to help.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hope it works out for you. I think soldiers, firefighters, and police officers are all heroes. Underpaid and under appreciated. I don't know many things you could do on that budget except public land mule deer or elk. If they are sheep fanatics you could look into an Aoudad hunt in West Texas for a trespass fee.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks a bunch Hardstock! I have not asked them about a dream hunt. They are both simple guys that don't ask anyone for anything. We go on a duck hunting trip every year in Gustine, CA and i know they both really enjoy hunting birds of any type. Johnny is an avid big game hunter, in fact he is avid about any game. He is hard core. Russ and his dad went on a Canadian Goose hunt a few years ago so I would say he really likes waterfowl. I know he has talked about hunting deer and pigs in the past.

Russ is limited on his ability to hike around because of his heart. Johnny can go just about anywhere, even with a replacement hip and femur. I imagine Russ would need to hunt from an ATV or blind of some type. He is not able to put a lot of physical effort out.

If I had to pinpoint some type of hunt it would be a duck hunt, turkey hunt, pig hunt, deer hunt (from a blind) or dove hunt. Russ is far more limited than Johnny,... not by choice.

I was really hoping for a contact that could assist with land or option to give them. As I stated in my post, I am not looking for a freebie....I am willing to put forth some money for airfare, travel, access fees or other expense to help out. I am open to suggestions but I can't afford to send them on an all expense paid trip. i wish I could. Thanks again. SC

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Colorado Cowboy,

How do I check a PM? I'm new at this forum....thanks.

SC

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    Once you have logged in look at the top of the page you will see Notifications. Click on that then go to your inbox. Pretty easy from there.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.