Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH area
    Posts
    284
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 34 Times in 28 Posts

    5 day gear list in latest EBJ

    I haven't done much back pack style hunting myself but I found the article in the latest EBJ about Guy's 5 day pack list to be helpful.n I did notice that the article got specific into brands/models on some items and didn't on others and that it was missing what I would consider a few essential items such as a water filter unless Guy is packing all his water in but I liked it none-the-less.

    Anyway the article me wondering what everyone else's pack list looks like. Anyone care to share the secrets of there pack and what goes into it?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Laramie WY
    Posts
    459
    Thanks
    89
    Thanked 61 Times in 47 Posts
    This will be my first ever backpack hunt so I know some of my stuff is heavy, but if I enjoy it I will upgrade for next year:
    Badlands 4500 pack
    3 liter camelback
    Big Agnes Hogpark 20 bag
    Big Agnes air pad
    Montbell Crescent 2 tent
    Sleeping pad patch kit
    Jetboil
    Katadyn base camp water filter
    Food for 4 days
    Starbucks via coffee
    Emergency kit
    2 headlamps
    Mini flashlight
    Tripod
    Meopta HD spotting scope
    Extra pair of socks and underwear
    Down coat
    Rain gear
    Lighter
    I'm probably missing some stuff.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    325
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked 51 Times in 46 Posts
    First pack in trip for me as well this year. I am curious about how much clothing to bring. I will be bow hunting in August so it will be hot as hell and stuff gets pitted out fast. Aside from socks and underwear, how much extra should I bring? I am thinking a couple of base layer underarmor shirts and two lightweight breathable shirts on top, I can wash out in the creek and rotate each day. Weight will be an issue but I don't want to be 4 days in and smelling so bad the deer can smell me coming a mile away. Thanks

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    72
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    For me I only bring one set of merino base layers. one extra set of socks and underwear that I swap every morning. And then another set of merino ankle socks I sleep in.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    492
    Thanks
    111
    Thanked 118 Times in 69 Posts
    Ill tell I just cant get down to their pack weight for a five to seven day pack!! I have tried but I pack all my cleaning and meat bags with me along with a few other things. Its a long way back after I shoot a Elk and I really like to pack a load of meat out with me on the way back out. I guess going in by myself might have a lot to do with that. No one else to split up some of the essentials. I would be curious to see what most hunters pack weights are on solo trips. Mine with everything including 2 starter quarts of water,food for seven days, and my bow on the pack is 65lbs this year. That is 8lbs lighter than my last pack in. I guess I need to lose a few things but I use them all. Maybe new lighter gear.
    Here is my list for a seven day pack in.

    Pack & Stuff Sacks
    Pack =93
    Extra straps =5.96
    Stove Stuff Sack =0.71
    Small Dry Stuff Sack =1.45
    Large Dry Stuff Sack =2.1
    Day pack=36.13

    Sleeping
    Marmot Sleeping Bag =45.54
    Term-a-rest =23.48
    Tent =56.45

    Clothing
    Sitka Mountain Pants =24.19
    Sitka 90% Jacket =19.61
    Sitka Kelvin Insulated Vest =15.18
    First Lite Marino Crew Tx2 =11.19
    First Lite Marino Zip Tx1 =10.74
    First Lite Marino HCrew Tx1 =7.64
    First Lite Allegheny Tx2 =19.1
    MarinoWool Socks Linersx2 = 2.07
    MarinoWool Socks Med x2 =2.24
    MarinoWoolSocks Heavy x2 =5.43
    Marino Wool Boxers x2 =7.9
    Ball Cap =2.04
    Marino Wool Beanie Light =0.93
    Marino Wool Beanie Heavy = 2.57
    Suspenders =3.12
    Wool Mitten Gloves =4.06
    Light Gloves =2.1
    Pancho =11.38
    Gaiters =9.84

    Meals
    Mess Kit =8.35
    Stove =21.83
    Lighter =0.8
    Fork & Spoon =1.38
    Paper Towels and Rag =1.2
    Stove Fuel =32
    Toilet Paper =3
    7 Day Food Pack =240
    2 qt Water =64
    All Purpose Soap = 5
    Waterproof Matches =0.61

    Accessories
    Water Pump =12.75
    Water Tablets =1.06
    Binoculars = 32.16
    Range Finder/Case = 8.03
    Bugle =6.3
    Cow Calls x2 =2.5
    GPS Garmin 62s =6.2
    10 AA lithium Batteries =8.8
    Streamlight 14512 =5.6
    Duct Tape =4.16
    550 Cord =6.9
    Bow Sling =8.94
    Small Maglight =3.9
    Extra Bugle Reeds =1.19
    Buck Knife =7.41
    All Purpose Tool =9.35
    Wyoming Saw =19.64
    Gurber Ax =18.65
    Water Bladder =5.45
    Gurber Knife =7.61
    Plastic Bags =6.45
    Game Bags =21.15
    Wind dust=0.87
    Map=2.84

    Emergency Kit =14.7
    Marking Tape =0.39
    Knee Brace =6.52
    Chap Stick =0.32

    Bow & release=85.16


    Total weight =1034.16oz = 64.62lbs

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to 25contender For This Useful Post:

    tdub24 (07-16-2013)

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Bitterroot Valley, MT.
    Posts
    531
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 38 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 25contender View Post
    Ill tell I just cant get down to their pack weight for a five to seven day pack!! I have tried but I pack all my cleaning and meat bags with me along with a few other things. Its a long way back after I shoot a Elk and I really like to pack a load of meat out with me on the way back out. I guess going in by myself might have a lot to do with that. No one else to split up some of the essentials. I would be curious to see what most hunters pack weights are on solo trips. Mine with everything including 2 starter quarts of water,food for seven days, and my bow on the pack is 65lbs this year. That is 8lbs lighter than my last pack in. I guess I need to lose a few things but I use them all. Maybe new lighter gear.
    Here is my list for a seven day pack in.

    Pack & Stuff Sacks
    Pack =93
    Extra straps =5.96
    Stove Stuff Sack =0.71
    Small Dry Stuff Sack =1.45
    Large Dry Stuff Sack =2.1
    Day pack=36.13

    Sleeping
    Marmot Sleeping Bag =45.54
    Term-a-rest =23.48
    Tent =56.45

    Clothing
    Sitka Mountain Pants =24.19
    Sitka 90% Jacket =19.61
    Sitka Kelvin Insulated Vest =15.18
    First Lite Marino Crew Tx2 =11.19
    First Lite Marino Zip Tx1 =10.74
    First Lite Marino HCrew Tx1 =7.64
    First Lite Allegheny Tx2 =19.1
    MarinoWool Socks Linersx2 = 2.07
    MarinoWool Socks Med x2 =2.24
    MarinoWoolSocks Heavy x2 =5.43
    Marino Wool Boxers x2 =7.9
    Ball Cap =2.04
    Marino Wool Beanie Light =0.93
    Marino Wool Beanie Heavy = 2.57
    Suspenders =3.12
    Wool Mitten Gloves =4.06
    Light Gloves =2.1
    Pancho =11.38
    Gaiters =9.84

    Meals
    Mess Kit =8.35
    Stove =21.83
    Lighter =0.8
    Fork & Spoon =1.38
    Paper Towels and Rag =1.2
    Stove Fuel =32
    Toilet Paper =3
    7 Day Food Pack =240
    2 qt Water =64
    All Purpose Soap = 5
    Waterproof Matches =0.61

    Accessories
    Water Pump =12.75
    Water Tablets =1.06
    Binoculars = 32.16
    Range Finder/Case = 8.03
    Bugle =6.3
    Cow Calls x2 =2.5
    GPS Garmin 62s =6.2
    10 AA lithium Batteries =8.8
    Streamlight 14512 =5.6
    Duct Tape =4.16
    550 Cord =6.9
    Bow Sling =8.94
    Small Maglight =3.9
    Extra Bugle Reeds =1.19
    Buck Knife =7.41
    All Purpose Tool =9.35
    Wyoming Saw =19.64
    Gurber Ax =18.65
    Water Bladder =5.45
    Gurber Knife =7.61
    Plastic Bags =6.45
    Game Bags =21.15
    Wind dust=0.87
    Map=2.84

    Emergency Kit =14.7
    Marking Tape =0.39
    Knee Brace =6.52
    Chap Stick =0.32

    Bow & release=85.16


    Total weight =1034.16oz = 64.62lbs
    That's one organized list

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Montana For This Useful Post:

    25contender (07-19-2013)

  9. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    492
    Thanks
    111
    Thanked 118 Times in 69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    That's one organized list
    Ha !! You know where the spread sheet came from!! I want to thank you for the e-mail. I cant get down to your weight but your spreadsheet was a big help.

  10. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    132
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    I carry one game bag, large enough to take a hind quarter and backstrap on the first trip out. I can bring more bags in on the return trip, along with saw if needed. When elk hunting, you won't be getting it all out in one trip no matter what you do, so leave most the tools you need for dealing with success for the return trip in.
    llp

  11. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Bitterroot Valley, MT.
    Posts
    531
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 38 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 25contender View Post
    Ha !! You know where the spread sheet came from!! I want to thank you for the e-mail. I cant get down to your weight but your spreadsheet was a big help.
    If you want just for fun. Email me your list and I'll break it down and send it back. Then this early fall give it a test. See if you like it.

    But you did touch base on something... if you are comfortable and don't mind that load. Then by all means keep roll'n. I can sure tell you one thing, if you pack 15 pds of food, you can go with me anytime.

  12. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    492
    Thanks
    111
    Thanked 118 Times in 69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    If you want just for fun. Email me your list and I'll break it down and send it back. Then this early fall give it a test. See if you like it.

    But you did touch base on something... if you are comfortable and don't mind that load. Then by all means keep roll'n. I can sure tell you one thing, if you pack 15 pds of food, you can go with me anytime.
    I went out this morning even though it was a little warm for a five mile trek with a total weight pack (65lbs) It actually felt pretty good but I need to shift a little weight for a better balance..I did have a small hotspot with the new boots but almost not even noticeable. These boots are much better than my last boots. If I can loose 5 more lbs it will be very comfortable. I will update my list soon. Mark
    Last edited by 25contender; 07-20-2013 at 08:56 AM.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Latest Attempt at Taxidermy
    By Roboz in forum Elk
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-03-2012, 02:25 PM
  2. Guy's gear list
    By JBudd in forum Everything Backcountry
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-22-2012, 07:29 AM
  3. Backcountry Gear List
    By twp1224 in forum Bowhunting
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 12-29-2011, 06:55 PM
  4. My latest photo trip
    By Codes in forum Wildlife and Landscapes
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-02-2011, 02:00 PM
  5. New Mexico latest??
    By seth_osu in forum Elk
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-14-2011, 09:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •