Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 8 Posts
    On an early hunt I think you could cut some clothing too. I always have trouble not overpacking in that department. I would also cut the seprate day pack and just use 1 pack and leave what I dont need for the day in camp. I would take the multi tool and I never leave home without my Leatherman! on later hunts I will take a small hatchet in case I need to build a fire to dry out. on early hunts I dont take it or a saw. I also dont take stuff sacks for most things. It also depends on how tough the pack in is. If its pretty good going I dont mind a little extra weight but if its a tough long pack in I will strip it down to the bare bones and hope for the best!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 25contender View Post
    Ill tell I just cant get down to their pack weight for a five to seven day pack!! I have tried but I pack all my cleaning and meat bags with me along with a few other things. Its a long way back after I shoot a Elk and I really like to pack a load of meat out with me on the way back out. I guess going in by myself might have a lot to do with that. No one else to split up some of the essentials. I would be curious to see what most hunters pack weights are on solo trips. Mine with everything including 2 starter quarts of water,food for seven days, and my bow on the pack is 65lbs this year. That is 8lbs lighter than my last pack in. I guess I need to lose a few things but I use them all. Maybe new lighter gear.
    Here is my list for a seven day pack in.

Pack & Stuff Sacks
    Pack =93
    Extra straps =5.96
    Stove Stuff Sack =0.71
    Small Dry Stuff Sack =1.45
    Large Dry Stuff Sack =2.1
    Day pack=36.13

Sleeping
    Marmot Sleeping Bag =45.54
    Term-a-rest =23.48
    Tent =56.45

Clothing
    Sitka Mountain Pants =24.19
    Sitka 90% Jacket =19.61
    Sitka Kelvin Insulated Vest =15.18
    First Lite Marino Crew Tx2 =11.19
    First Lite Marino Zip Tx1 =10.74
    First Lite Marino HCrew Tx1 =7.64
    First Lite Allegheny Tx2 =19.1
    MarinoWool Socks Linersx2 = 2.07
    MarinoWool Socks Med x2 =2.24
    MarinoWoolSocks Heavy x2 =5.43
    Marino Wool Boxers x2 =7.9
    Ball Cap =2.04
    Marino Wool Beanie Light =0.93
    Marino Wool Beanie Heavy = 2.57
    Suspenders =3.12
    Wool Mitten Gloves =4.06
    Light Gloves =2.1
    Pancho =11.38
    Gaiters =9.84

Meals
    Mess Kit =8.35
    Stove =21.83
    Lighter =0.8
    Fork & Spoon =1.38
    Paper Towels and Rag =1.2
    Stove Fuel =32
    Toilet Paper =3
    7 Day Food Pack =240
    2 qt Water =64
    All Purpose Soap = 5
    Waterproof Matches =0.61

Accessories
    Water Pump =12.75
    Water Tablets =1.06
    Binoculars = 32.16
    Range Finder/Case = 8.03
    Bugle =6.3
    Cow Calls x2 =2.5
    GPS Garmin 62s =6.2
    10 AA lithium Batteries =8.8
    Streamlight 14512 =5.6
    Duct Tape =4.16
    550 Cord =6.9
    Bow Sling =8.94
    Small Maglight =3.9
    Extra Bugle Reeds =1.19
    Buck Knife =7.41
    All Purpose Tool =9.35
    Wyoming Saw =19.64
    Gurber Ax =18.65
    Water Bladder =5.45
    Gurber Knife =7.61
    Plastic Bags =6.45
    Game Bags =21.15
    Wind dust=0.87
    Map=2.84

Emergency Kit =14.7
    Marking Tape =0.39
    Knee Brace =6.52
    Chap Stick =0.32

Bow & release=85.16

Total weight =1034.16oz = 64.62lbs
    That's one organized list

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Montana For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think everyone starts a little high. I know I did. It will take a few years to get it nailed down. My rule was if I took it twice without using it, then it was removed from the list. This year tested a dangerously light spring bear hunt and yet again it was totally fine, I think I even had an extra cliff bar and mac'n'chz coming out.

I would imagine your phone has texting capabilities. Or note taking. Just keep track of what you don't use.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 48 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    I think everyone starts a little high. I know I did. It will take a few years to get it nailed down. My rule was if I took it twice without using it, then it was removed from the list. This year tested a dangerously light spring bear hunt and yet again it was totally fine, I think I even had an extra cliff bar and mac'n'chz coming out.

I would imagine your phone has texting capabilities. Or note taking. Just keep track of what you don't use.
    The big problem is this is the lightest pack I have had in 20 years. I have always used what is in the pack. Even though it is a tough trek into where I hunt I figured that most of the weight is at camp after I set up so I take my time going in and don't rush it. I only carry a two day pack from there so the weight drops to like 20 lbs at the most. I have been caught in the high country a few to many times without enough cloths so I hate to skimp there. I even use my Kelty pack because it is the lightest pack I have. I really need to upgrade to some lighter gear like the stove & mess kit but the ones I have work great so why buy new. Since I carry them on my pack in the pack weight includes my Bow, Arrows & Quiver, and release with backup release. That right there is 5.32 lbs but it is easier to pack it in that way.
    Pack ready to go.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the look, It is good for someone else to take a look. The pancho is being replace with lighter raingear. You are right I will be leaving the Saw,Multitool,and Gurber knife at the truck. The food I have been working on but find it hard to get below that number for seven days. I have knocked off 5lbs from the food pack from what I normally bring. Tough getting the weight down!!
    I like your packing list, I hump around about the same amount of gear I usually go in heavy with water. It's been really hard of the years to get below 60#s unless I'm only going in for a few days.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 48 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    That's one organized list
    Ha !! You know where the spread sheet came from!! I want to thank you for the e-mail. I cant get down to your weight but your spreadsheet was a big help.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Remember that Guys list did not include water, and I don't think it included the bow, either. You guys aren't too far off, but there are areas in which to improve.
    You can't stay scent free on a 7 day backpack hunt, so don't even really try. One change of clothes is max. No axe or even saw. Cut back on paper towels, and even just a small piece of soap, if any. No mess kit, just a titanium cup and pot to cook in. Seems like a lot of fuel. Just heat water and shut off. One can should last a week if used sparingly. A lighter tent / sleeping bag combo is also possible.
    It is all about shaving ounces in every area, to eventually save pounds overall.
    llp

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I carry one game bag, large enough to take a hind quarter and backstrap on the first trip out. I can bring more bags in on the return trip, along with saw if needed. When elk hunting, you won't be getting it all out in one trip no matter what you do, so leave most the tools you need for dealing with success for the return trip in.
    llp

Thanks
    Congratulations
    25contender, I have that pack, how do you have the bow attached?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ha !! You know where the spread sheet came from!! I want to thank you for the e-mail. I cant get down to your weight but your spreadsheet was a big help.
    If you want just for fun. Email me your list and I'll break it down and send it back. Then this early fall give it a test. See if you like it.

But you did touch base on something... if you are comfortable and don't mind that load. Then by all means keep roll'n. I can sure tell you one thing, if you pack 15 pds of food, you can go with me anytime.