Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 71 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clacklin009 View Post
    25contender, I have that pack, how do you have the bow attached?
    I couldn't find a system that held my bow the way I wanted. So I had a friend that does canvas work make a system that works well for my Mathews Z7. It's very simple. I will take some photos for you when I get a chance.
    Last edited by 25contender; 07-20-2013 at 08:29 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    If you want just for fun. Email me your list and I'll break it down and send it back. Then this early fall give it a test. See if you like it.

But you did touch base on something... if you are comfortable and don't mind that load. Then by all means keep roll'n. I can sure tell you one thing, if you pack 15 pds of food, you can go with me anytime.
    I went out this morning even though it was a little warm for a five mile trek with a total weight pack (65lbs) It actually felt pretty good but I need to shift a little weight for a better balance..I did have a small hotspot with the new boots but almost not even noticeable. These boots are much better than my last boots. If I can loose 5 more lbs it will be very comfortable. I will update my list soon. Mark
    Last edited by 25contender; 07-20-2013 at 08:56 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 25contender View Post
    If I can loose 5 more lbs it will be very comfortable.
    Call Jenny..

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 1 Post
    If you are looking for a light knife that can do it all, this is a good option. 5.6oz, D2 steel, carries a length of emergency para cord. I wrapped the handle in a layer of hockey tape to keep the cord from getting too bloody. This is part of my Army kit as well.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/375http://www.benchmade.com/products/375

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by CoHiCntry View Post
    Call Jenny..
    Ha I don't think she can shave 5 off the pack weight. Body weight is fine.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by clacklin009 View Post
    25contender, I have that pack, how do you have the bow attached?
    Ok let me see if the photos will help. It is nothing fancy but it works well.

This is a pic of the bottom piece that the bow sits in. I brought the guy a piece of cardboard the shape of the bottom part of the bow for a template. He added three release buckles two on the top and one on the bottom so it can be removed. He also added a cinch strap to hold the bow in the bottom piece for long treks. One side of the release buckles are just tied with cord to the packs buckle straps and the bottom release buckle is tied to the pack strapping on the bottom. See the two pics below.

The bow on the top is held in with a quick release strap. It attaches to the shoulder strap with a buckle. You just run the strap around or through the riser then back through the quick release buckle and snug it up a little.Pics below.

Without strap in release buckle.

With strap in the release buckle.

The pic in the previous post has the pack with the bow in it. Eberlestock make a bucket and strap you can buy but the one I bought didn't work with my Mathews Z7 so I sold it to someone else... I hope this helps. Mark
    Last edited by 25contender; 07-20-2013 at 07:01 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 25contender For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks Mark, That is a good set-up. Good pictures.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ill tell I just cant get down to their pack weight for a five to seven day pack!! I have tried but I pack all my cleaning and meat bags with me along with a few other things. Its a long way back after I shoot a Elk and I really like to pack a load of meat out with me on the way back out. I guess going in by myself might have a lot to do with that. No one else to split up some of the essentials. I would be curious to see what most hunters pack weights are on solo trips. Mine with everything including 2 starter quarts of water,food for seven days, and my bow on the pack is 65lbs this year. That is 8lbs lighter than my last pack in. I guess I need to lose a few things but I use them all. Maybe new lighter gear.
    Here is my list for a seven day pack in.

Total weight =1034.16oz = 64.62lbs
    Seams to me you could shave off a few pounds by getting rid of your day pack depending on if you could use your main pack. Also your tent is 3.5 lbs just on its own.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ok I have been listening to everyone and I have knocked off some more weight.

If I hunt where I normally do, there is a stream I cross halfway in and I can refill for the trip in. So I am eliminating 1QT of water and fill when I am almost to my campsite. Where I camp there is a stream about .35 miles away so I can refill there as often as I need when I head back in the evening. I drink a lot of water each day,at least a gallon plus everyday. I am going to leave the Ax the Gurber knife and the leather sheath for the Wyoming saw. The guy that did my bow carrier made a lightweight carrier for the saw and it weighs about 1/10 of what the leather sheath did. I am replacing the poncho with Lighter weight rain-gear so that will save a few ozs. It looks like the food pack wont be as heavy as I thought so it will be about 1lb lighter. I am also going to leave the day pack and just compress down my main pack for day trips once I am in. Those few things will put me right at 56.46 lbs. Depending on the forecast I might leave a item or two of clothing at the truck but I doubt it. Last time I did that we had a freak snowstorm and there was 12" of snow on the ground the next morning!! Was great hunt afterwards!! Got to stick with the tent for now.
    Last edited by 25contender; 07-22-2013 at 07:30 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ok I have been listening to everyone and I have knocked off some more weight.

If I hunt where I normally do, there is a stream I cross halfway in and I can refill for the trip in. So I am eliminating 1QT of water and fill when I am almost to my campsite. Where I camp there is a stream about .35 miles away so I can refill there as often as I need when I head back in the evening. I drink a lot of water each day,at least a gallon plus everyday. I am going to leave the Ax the Gurber knife and the leather sheath for the Wyoming saw. The guy that did my bow carrier made a lightweight carrier for the saw and it weighs about 1/10 of what the leather sheath did. I am replacing the poncho with Lighter weight rain-gear so that will save a few ozs. It looks like the food pack wont be as heavy as I thought so it will be about 1lb lighter. I am also going to leave the day pack and just compress down my main pack for day trips once I am in. Those few things will put me right at 56.46 lbs. Depending on the forecast I might leave a item or two of clothing at the truck but I doubt it. Last time I did that we had a freak snowstorm and there was 12" of snow on the ground the next morning!! Was great hunt afterwards!! Got to stick with the tent for now.
    That is my exact pack weight (56 lbs). LOL. For me pack weight includes everything I'm taking into the backcountry (guns, binos, etc).