Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: solar panels

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post

solar panels

I'm gonna b in Idaho elk hunting last two weeks in September, and thinking of getting a lite weight solar panel to charge my phone so I can bivy out 2 or 3 times during that hunt, any feed back on the new solar market?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I use the Goal zero set up. The adventure kit works well for charging up a phone or batteries for other gear. I also use it for my iPad mini on long flights to extend its life. The battery pack that came with the solar kit is really nice for a lot of things.
    I have the nomad 7 solar panel. The battery pack is the guide 10. It also sports a nice bright LED in the battery pack. As well the flex LED wand that connects to the USB power port on the battery pack was very nice for a tent light. It lite up my wall tent plenty when it was dark.
    I got about two charges on my iPhone before the batteries needed topped off. It has loops all over the solar panels that help you connect it to a pack as well.
    Very worth the money.
    Keep in mind the solar panel alone often won't charge an iPhone, but the battery pack will. So having both is essential to providing the power for iPhones or iPads. Just an FYI.
    One day in good sun I charged the phone in 40 minutes! The batteries in 2 hours!
    I hunt because......

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wolftalonID For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for that info . I have a small solar charger but it was not charging my phone, so the battery pack was a missing piece of the puzzle I didn't have, and I like the goal zero too will probably get that nice option to have strap it on our pack and charging on the go .

Thanks
    Congratulations
    What did u like or dislike about the nomad 7?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm gonna get a wolf tag too and try to help the cause.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I have been doing this same research and i will be going with the goal zero Guide 10 Plus. I will get the AAA adapter, but I don't know if that very realistic for me. I will be hard pressed to be able to charge my Iphone and keep a set of AA's for my Garmin Rhino. People recommend that you save the big Rhino battery for emergencies so you can crank the transmit power up to 5W, and use the AA battery pack for navigating around on 2W. Look for another thread about this from a little while back. There was even more info about which models came with which add ons.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Very Cool on the Wolf Tag..... Hoping to see some Tags filled and Plenty of pictures......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    First things in perspective. When I go out to hunt, I go to get away from life and be quiet and unplugged. I don't own the solar panel to keep me on facebook(not even a member) or twitter( oops got me there).
    i got it for field work so my devices would have a back up if I was unable to get back on overnight work. It is also a great prepper item.
    I like it a lot, it works, it's light, and offers a lot of options.
    For those who can't let it go in the field while hunting? No help there from me. I don't use a GPS on the ground it's not that far when I am hiking to get lost. In the air, it is so having my foreflight app up is very helpful.

I see guys here hunting with their smart phones, GPS, cameras, computers. Etc. I can't knock that too hard, because I have been out with all that and more. Solar panels and products by goal zero are top notch and work!

For hunting and light electronics like smart phones for pic taking, light cameras, hand held GPS. Great option.
    If you need more than that, leave it in camp or get a camera guy! Lol
    I hunt because......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Me too! Gotta check the rules but I want to take a mouse squeeker .

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think the best solar charger out there in terms of performance, not weight, is the Orange JOOS. It can charge in the shade, charges up more quickly, and charges much more than any comparable device, and is virtually indestructible. Leave it in your tent rather than carrying it around all day. It will charge just fine there.

You may see a review of solar chargers in an upcoming Eastmans' journal.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to hoshour For This Useful Post: