Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: solar panels

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    I'm with u I want to b unplugged as much as possible,but I need to let loved ones know I'm safe and having fun ,and hopefully I won't need it but just in case It's the next trip gone bad storey,I can call for help! And in those back areas u need a full charge to get it out some times.I'm the type of person that would rather have it and not need it , than need it and not have it. Kinda like that new show I just mentioned,all had taken precautions but didn't have it on them the moment their disaster happen.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'll check them out.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftalonID View Post
    First things in perspective. When I go out to hunt, I go to get away from life and be quiet and unplugged. I don't own the solar panel to keep me on facebook(not even a member) or twitter( oops got me there).
    i got it for field work so my devices would have a back up if I was unable to get back on overnight work. It is also a great prepper item.
    I like it a lot, it works, it's light, and offers a lot of options.
    For those who can't let it go in the field while hunting? No help there from me. I don't use a GPS on the ground it's not that far when I am hiking to get lost. In the air, it is so having my foreflight app up is very helpful.

I see guys here hunting with their smart phones, GPS, cameras, computers. Etc. I can't knock that too hard, because I have been out with all that and more. Solar panels and products by goal zero are top notch and work!

For hunting and light electronics like smart phones for pic taking, light cameras, hand held GPS. Great option.
    If you need more than that, leave it in camp or get a camera guy! Lol
    Great!!.........I thought i was done researching these. now you have me thinking again.

Im with AZ. I am hoping to use my phone to get out to call in. My wife gets a little freaked out when i go by myself.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Since I have no cell signal where I hunt. I will be bringing a SPOT 2 with me this year. At least when I am out of contact for five to seven days at a time I can send out a "everything is fine" message every now and then. I do bring a small video camera and a gps with me as well. I use lithium Batteries and carry a few extra sets with me. I don't leave the gps or other electronics on all the time.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Another vote for the GZ Guide 10 kit, if you are needing AA or AAA batteries recharged. The only thing I dont like is the weight of the recharging battery pack, so I just leave it at home. All of my electronics these days usually have a microUSB port that allows for charging without removing batteries. If you have that then you can skip the battery pack and just pick up a lightweight solar panel (6"x9", .8lbs). The solar panel by its self has a USB and 12v output port that you can use a standard USB cable and the solar panel to charge cellphones, headlamps, cameras, or anything else that can be charged by a simple USB cable. If you are looking at this option, check out the Brunton Explorer Solar panel (4.5"x9"x1" compacted, 14.8oz) or the Goal Zero Nomad Solar Panel (6"x9"x1" compacted, 12.8oz) Another cool product that goes along with this is the Brunton Glacier 115 headlamp, which has a USB port built in for recharging, so no need for a battery pack charger or extra batteries.

Another really cool options for the ultralight hunter is the Brunton Ember. I have been using this brand new product since this spring and love it! Its a small rechargeable lithium battery pack that also has a solar panel on one side to recharge its self. The Brunton Ember is (3.5"x2.5"x.75") and weighs 5oz. Plugging it into the wall or or computer will charge it in about 2hrs, recharging via the built in solar panel take about 7-8 hrs of direct sunlight to fully recharge. Not the fastest, but pretty easy to leave it out to recharge at camp. Even without cell service in my area, I use my cellphone as my gps, camera, etc. and using the Ember I can fully recharge my phone 3 times before having to recharge the Ember. Also the charging time is quick. It will recharge my phone 1-1.5% per minute in my testing. This item will be in my pack for sure this fall.
    Last edited by LintonOutdoors; 07-23-2013 at 01:04 PM. Reason: typo
    LINTON OUTDOORS
    Serious Gear for the Serious Sportsman
    www.lintonoutdoors.com

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LintonOutdoors For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thought I'd let everyone know I went with the Goal zero plus 10, .I'll put it to the test during early deer season , before heading to Idaho. Thanks for all the input and I'll let everyone know how the test run went.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I got my 10 plus a couple weeks ago. I put it to the test and it failed. The initial work was great. Charged my phone about as fast as a car plug. I was thrilled to see it charge the big battery on my garmin 530. It pushed it from 50% to 60% in a few hrs. Slow like they said it would be, so I think the AA battery pack is still going to be needed for that.

Then it died!! I am sending it back and the replacement is already on the way. The service people have been great.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Even new puppies die , but It's great to see a company stand behind their product with good service, without good service , the best product is crap. In my opinion

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Here is a cool lightweight product that I have been using. Not as quick of a recharge time, but much lighter and a lot more compact.

LINTON OUTDOORS
    Serious Gear for the Serious Sportsman
    www.lintonoutdoors.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I will heed ur info on the rhino .