Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Archery Elk, Public Land, Do It Yourself Info help

I was told by a friend that he thought that Eastman's had a book that had breakdowns State by State showing draw stats, hunter numbers, tags available, etc. for help with deciding where to go for public land do it yourself elk hunting....does anyone know if there may be any truth to that? I want to start researching this and have not even settled on a State yet. This will be for archery elk and yes I know I have a LOT of work to do but if there was actually a publication that had this info in it....what a head start that would be.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    i dont know about a book but every year they cover the western states in their magazine, breaking diff units down, showing odds and stats. are you planning on an elk hunt this fall? idaho and colo will be you go to spots for otc tags. im not sure but i think oregon has otc tags as well, dont mark my words on that though. welcome to the forum, you will enjoy it here. ps... welcome to the elk woods! you will never forget it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Not looking for this year. It will be 2 - 3 years I am guessing.

I will also add that I am not necessarily looking for trophy elk, just decent ones. I am quite sure I would be very happy with a 280 - 300 bull for my first archery bull.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think you are refering to the MRS section in Eastmans magazines. You have to subscribe to get it, its not included if you buy the magazine off a magazine rack. There is ALOT of good info in it to get you started! The MRS info you are looking for is over for this year but if you subscribe now you can look at all the past MRS sections online. Mike Eastmans book elk hunting the west has alot of good info too. Good luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbay View Post
    Not looking for this year. It will be 2 - 3 years I am guessing.

I will also add that I am not necessarily looking for trophy elk, just decent ones. I am quite sure I would be very happy with a 280 - 300 bull for my first archery bull.
    I would also be happy with a 280-300 bull for my first as well. Or my 7th! I've never been elk hunting but the success rates are far lower than for deer. I think a 200-250 inch bull for a first timer is doable and something to be proud of.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    This year will be my 4th elk tag (WY cow/calf), and I have yet to hang a tag on one of those sneaky devils. From my perspective, it is going to be the greatest accomplishment in my 21 years of bowhunting to shoot a cow elk with my bow. The first three tags i had were CO OTC archery bull tags. The first year I didn't even see an elk on public land. Lots of sign, bugles, and crashing noises, but I never saw one. By the third year I was actually getting bulls into bow range, they just weren't giving me clean shots.

I am not sure how you view your elk hunting future, but if you want to kill a bull with a bow, plan on investing in multiple tags over a series of years, to learn the area and how to hunt the elk. The other option is to pay for a guide on private land. IMO, CO OTC is about the best way to learn to hunt elk. You can hunt them every year, on the same ground, and eventually you will get them figured out. You can read a lot about elk hunting tactics, but until you get out there and chase them, it is hard to appreciate the challenge.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    I would also be happy with a 280-300 bull for my first as well. Or my 7th! I've never been elk hunting but the success rates are far lower than for deer. I think a 200-250 inch bull for a first timer is doable and something to be proud of.
    You dern tootin, im a whitetail hunter and a animal with 200in of horn on his head that walks by me and is legal wont be walkin much longer, I see people passin 300in elk on tv and it blows my mind , im screamin at the tv let me take him!! I suppose its about like me passin a 140in whitetail tho after you kill enough of em you want a bigger one, I just cant see that at this point in my hunting life tho.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by dying to kill View Post
    You dern tootin, im a whitetail hunter and a animal with 200in of horn on his head that walks by me and is legal wont be walkin much longer, I see people passin 300in elk on tv and it blows my mind , im screamin at the tv let me take him!! I suppose its about like me passin a 140in whitetail tho after you kill enough of em you want a bigger one, I just cant see that at this point in my hunting life tho.
    Many of those Elk are on Private ranches or locked up public land. My best advice for those starting out that want to hunt accessible public land is to pick a good unit or two and learn it. Keep hunting it till you know what the Elk are doing from year to year. It wont take long to kill a decent bull if you stick with a decent area. It took me a few years to get a P/Y but a few others were taken before that. It takes a lot of hard work and conviction on a DIY public land hunt.
    Last edited by 25contender; 07-20-2013 at 02:50 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Going back and reading my last post I kind of had to chuckle a bit.....I need to downsize a bit. Is a 240 - 260 really that much of a reach after a few trips under my belt? After I read my post of 280 - 300 it even sounded a bit arrogant to me and I posted it!!! I do not expect to nail them down on my 1st or even 2nd trip but like it was said here, nail down an area and after a few trips hopefully I can learn enough about the elk where ever it is I decide to go after em. Sounds like I might want to start with a new magazine subscription.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think the key is that you go into your first elk hunt with the right mindset, so you aren't disappointed when you come back with nothing but blisters