Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Has any one ever killed a second rifle season bull?

My hunt this year is in southern Colorado second rifle season, iv been doin some research and haven't been hearing good things about second rifle season, Have any of you had good or bad experiences during this season? Is it possible to punch your tag? Some uplifting advice would be appreciated...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 6 Posts
    You should talk to CC on this one. I have never hunted it but someone must of got 1 at some point. lol Just go have a good hunt and hope for the best. You will never get 1 if you dont go. You will be in Colorado with a tag in your pocket, what could be better!!! Are you going OTC? Why are you limited to southern CO? Good Luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    You'll still hear them buglin and finishing up 2nd cycle cows during 2nd in some units. The guys we've sent have gone 9/10 the last 3yrs.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    when does the 2nd season start?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Dyingtokill second season typically is not as good the first season but all depends how much pressure has already been on those animals. They will quickly head to private or go nocturnal. I have seen hunters take some nice elk in second season OTC. I think if you can get out and scout first season you may find some game that isn't being pressured and you might just be able to come back 2nd season and harvest one. Can't kill one sitting around watching tv. Good luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by ivorytip View Post
    when does the 2nd season start?
    October 19 - 27. Second season can be good, depending on a number of things....weather being first. It is usually pretty mild then and can be down right hot too!

Remember one thing, these animals have been hunted for almost 2 months by this time. Archery & muzzleloading and first rifle season. The other thing is that there will be lots more hunters in the field as this is the first season that OTC bull tags are available and are unlimited in most units. In most of the public land areas, the elk will be in the dark timber and deep canyons because of the hunting pressure. Most hunters won't go there because it really lots of work (I know I'm preaching to the choir!). Wilderness areas don't necessarily follow this pattern except around the edges, again most hunters won't go deep so the animals get much less pressure.

My take is that the best rifle tag is first season. Second & third are unlimited OTC bull tags. The real sleeper is 4th season IMHO. Again it is really weather dependant. Usually a storm will get them moving and it can be great. This yearI plan on getting a 4th season leftover cow tag (if available) and should have no problem filling my freezer. I have lots of friends who only hunt 4th season and they usually do well, if the weather cooperates.

The way Colorado sets up its season structure is why I have started hunting muzzle loading season. The one main reason is less hunters in the field and of course being able to rifle (ML) hunt during the rut. Just my take after hunting here the last 15 years. When it comes to tags issued, it's all $$$and the state knows it. Thats why they issue unlimited bull taks in those 2 seasons, non resident are welcomed with open arms....please come and spend you money
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 07-20-2013 at 07:35 AM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    There's a reason why they have unlimited 2nd season OTC bull tags. If your hunting in a limited unit second season can be decent but if your hunting OTC, expect lots of company! IMO, it's probably the worst season to hunt. Elk have already been pressured and weather isn't usually moving them around much yet. The season is long and the first unlimited hunt so lots of guy's hunt it. Of course there are exceptions to everything... My advise, if you aren't to picky is to shoot the first legal bull you see, you may not see another...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    We usually do better on the second season for elk. I'm a deer hunter and when we don't get a deer tag, we will go the second season for elk. Guess it depends on where you hunt.

Moose
    Every hunting season you miss is one you can not make up.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmoose View Post
    Guess it depends on where you hunt.

Moose
    That my friend is an understatement!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good stuff guys this is really help full, and im not really limited to south Colorado but with so many options on were to hunt I just decided to pick a part of the state and get to know it for a few years and move on if it don't work for me, instead of jumping around each year(just my own thoughts) Also I got a buddy that's gonna take some horses up there and get us back in there away from the foot traffic. I hope this pays off, I was wanting to put in for first rifle but he convinced me to save my points and go with second he said its just as good as first. So that's what I did. I know nothins guaranteed I would just atleast spot a elk if I cant get him killed that will be my fault.And yes I will be punchin a tag on the first legal bull I see I am not picky what so ever!! But thanks guys that was the exact info I was wanting..