Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    2nd season is not as good as 1st season. For one, it can still catch the rut, and for two, it won't be anywhere near as crowded.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Now that I know you have some stock, I have a couple of suggestions that might be options for you guys. Unit 71 specifically the Lizard Head Wilderness Area might be something you want to consider. There are some trailheads and some good areas that most casual hunters don't get to. If you are interested PM me and I can give you some better details.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 37 Times in 2 Posts
    I have killed bulls during the second season as well as my dad and brother. Like others have said weather plays a big part in the quality of hunt. If it is warm with no snow the hunt can be tough. One year I went with my brother on his hunt and we didn't see much for the first 4 days because of the pressure and warm weather. On the 5th day we headed to timberline and shot a bull in the morning. They had moved back up to the higher country because of the weather. One thing I will say is finding a mature bull during this season can be tough. I see big bulls coming through the mountains every year during second season so it happens frequently. Good luck, how bad can it be? You get to hunt elk in Colorado.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 29 Times in 3 Posts
    An idea if your gmu preference isn't set in stone is to get into a unit that's LE but you have a shot at drawing w/ 0-1pts instead of fighting the constant pressure of OTC units.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm going to give the second season a shot this year in an OTC unit, we'll see how it turns out, I started training last week. Great views and trout fishing are a sure thing, elk.... Those will be a huge bonus!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I plan to be at Monte Vista Aug 6 for a chance at the left over tags. Like CC I will be looking for 4th season cow. My take is to hunt cow unless I draw a good bull tag. I think I have five elk points which I plan to use next year. Again, like CC, I love hunting the Lizard Head. The area in 81, I think we talked about, is a sure bull and easy except getting the meat out. I just don't see a chance at getting a bull with a trophy rack, still could be a 6x6. One place CC might have overlooked is Cold Creek canyon between Dunton and Delores Peak. Its too easy and unbelievable, the bulls stay in there close to the road as the hunters go deep. The best time to scout is night and I use gen3 mono while I sit and listen to the elk. That's how I found them. I walked past them for years. This is a rough spot and no easy task for a horse on retrieving game. I quit hunting there because of some really slob non resident hunters, I don't think they went into the canyon and they are probably gone now.
    If you decide to hunt in 71 I can give you a spot that elk like to use, its not in the wilderness, but close.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    In most of the public land areas, the elk will be in the dark timber and deep canyons because of the hunting pressure. Most hunters won't go there because it really lots of work (I know I'm preaching to the choir!).
    So let's say that a guy was willing to go into the dark timber and deep canyons 5 miles in, how does a guy find the elk once you are in there? Elk that are in heavy timber must be traveling a mile or two or more to get to good feed?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 29 Times in 3 Posts
    They can probably find good feed in the small openings in the dark timber where sunlight can reach the ground. I've noticed they'll feed a lot on those kind of spots throughout the day and move to more open areas as light fades. Perfect scenario is to be able to look across canyons where you can look through the timber at those spots.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hunt nothing but dark timber. You get them moving from bedding areas to feeding areas, and they also get up and move a bit during the day when bedding. Some guys think they lay down all day in the same bed. Not true.

You have to still hunt. Be very quiet. Move very slow. Play the wind. It helps if you've scouted the area, and know some bedding areas, but make sure you don't stink up the area while scouting.

It's a very different way to hunt compared to glassing, and long shots. You may not need a scope at all. I never did.

Good luck.

btw Only lately i've used a muzzleloader. All my hunting has been still hunting during rifle seasons.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Okay Pete, the scope is off my ML. I too like the dark timber and it fits my hunting speed. but I an't going five miles in. the bulls in Cold Creek are not more than 1/2 mile from the main road. I look for places they hide in plain site. Elk don't have to feed if pressure is great enough. I also like to hunt mule deer at the edge of town or just above private irrigated farms. Too lame to go five miles in.