Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Cold Creek is now on my list. Only one problem, it does not show on my FS map. guess I'll have to get my topos out.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 26 Times in 3 Posts
    Would also be suprised at how many can hide in a little 1-5acre patch of timber down in the sage country. It never fails that we run into a few good bulls down in the lower elevation that would be easy picking bc they have no place to go once they leave their little hiding spot.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 1 Post
    I have been hunting the Colorado State Forest (unit 6) for the past several years and I will either hunt archery for either sex (OTC) and then get a 1st season cow tag (Lots of leftovers), or go 1st season for a cow and if I get my cow then I will go back for 2nd season with a bull tag (OTC). The problem with 2nd season is that the weather plays a huge part. Twice I have hunted 2nd season and never saw a thing after an early snow. As soon as there is a decent snow then all the elk will move out into North Park (on private property). 2 years ago the snows came right during second season (it snowed about 6" overnight and I was the only one who went out hunting while everyone else was packing up and heading out), and I had a herd come right by me. Unfortunately I only had a cow tag, and after I dropped my cow I watched a huge 6x6 bull trot right by me within 50 yards. The bottom line is that if the weather is key where I hunt for 2nd season, and it can be hit or miss depending on what mother nature decides to do.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I haven't killed one but I've seen good bulls during this season. The first year I was covering country to fast and bumped two different bulls in separate areas of the canyon right out of their bed. I hunted the same area last year with a first season tag and saw a dandy 6pt moving over the top with his cows on opening morning. Later on in the week I met up with some guys who killed a different bull that was a 6x7. So the area I'm hunting has elk in it. In '09 my buddy killed a cow during 2nd season and we saw a small 5pt come out if this same area. I'm heading back there this year with a 2nd season rifle tag. Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Second season rifle elk (Oct. 12-16) is nine days long but can really be crowded with hunters as it's the 1st season that offers OTC tags. It's hit or miss on how good it can be depending on the weather (snow). If it snows good in the high country the elk bail down lower and the hunting can be fantastic. But if it's hot and dry the elk can be anywhere; usually up high in the dark timber. I love to just hunt so I, personally, choose the longest seasons I can find. What the heck, your elk hunting in Colorado; who cares what season it is. Come, enjoy, have a ball.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 26 Times in 3 Posts
    2nd is 19-27.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Cold Creek is now on my list. Only one problem, it does not show on my FS map. guess I'll have to get my topos out.
    After checking my trusty topo, I know exactly where you are talking about. I have hunted it and seen elk there, but shot none as they were all cows and I had a bull tag. I am going up near there Thursday to shoot some long distance practice (300 to 600 yds), might do a little looking around there again.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My rule is if you read about it on the internet, its going to be crowded. I've only hunted OTC 2nd season once, and by the 6th day we were finally starting to figure it out, the bulls were where the hunters weren't. Sounds obvious, but we had to travel nearly 100 miles before we found places without people. And mostly it was confusing/difficult access that you had to physically go figure out. I think a good strategy to start once you pick a unit, is google search it and eliminate every spot you read about on page one, then look at the map and see what's left, that will start to get you away from the orange army.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Doe Nob View Post
    My rule is if you read about it on the internet, its going to be crowded. I've only hunted OTC 2nd season once, and by the 6th day we were finally starting to figure it out, the bulls were where the hunters weren't. Sounds obvious, but we had to travel nearly 100 miles before we found places without people. And mostly it was confusing/difficult access that you had to physically go figure out. I think a good strategy to start once you pick a unit, is google search it and eliminate every spot you read about on page one, then look at the map and see what's left, that will start to get you away from the orange army.
    Doe nob that's some good advice I appreciate it, but then again I have thought that about all the post on this thread. Do You think every one that reads this reply could meet meet at Amarillo at the big Texan 3 days before my hunt so everyone can fill me up with all of your years of knowledge?? Ill buy the steaks!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by packmule View Post
    2nd is 19-27.

That is correct