Thanks

1st Colorado Elk Hunt

A friend and I are going bow hunting for Elk September 23 - 29. Neither of us have ever done this before, but are sure looking forward to it. I have been to the Colorado Parks and Wildlife site and seem to get more confused by the minute. I am eventually going to call them and get some help, but I thought I would check here first. Here are some questions and if anyone can answer any of them, I would appreciate it.
    Where would you recommend hunting? Seems everytime I find a unit that I am interested in, it is either not open for bow (like units 4,441,191,61) or there is very little public land. I was told that Monitor mesa in unit 62 is a good place, but it looks like 62 is one of the most heavily hunted units.
    Can you hunt all BLM, FS and CDOW lands? For example, if I am going to hunt BLM, are there special rules and permits for them?
    Is it worthwhile for me to bring a 4 wheeler?
    Can you camp where you want, or do you have to do it in specified campgrounds?
    I have a bunch more questions, but this is a start!!
    Thanks.
    Rick

Thanks
    Welcome to the forum rick! 10567,000!

Thanks
    Rick welcome to the forum. Very few people are going to share much at all on OTC or easy to draw type tags on a public forum.

If you found the area that has the most people hunting, you have probably found that area with the best public access.

You can usually hunt any BLM or Forest Service land, but in some states I have found issues with hunting state held lands. You will need to check the specifics on the area you are hunting.

I hunted without a 4 wheeler in several states for 27 years (1983 to 2010), you can probably get by without one. With that said I got a Yamaha Rhino in 2010 and now take it nearly everywhere I go hunting, but this year I won't. The first hunt is for antelope and is walk-in. The second hunt is for mule deer and has an excellent network of Forest Service roads, so I don't want to haul the Rhino for 3000 miles. The point is do research on the specific spot you will be hunting.

In most states I have found you can camp pretty much anywhere on BLM and Forest Service land. Of course there may be exceptions in the specific area you are hunting.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Thanks.
    I just got off the phone with a hunt planner at the Colorado CDOW. He has been working there 2 weeks and I think I know more than him (lol). He wasn't much help. I am going to try and narrow my seach down a little, then call the local FS, BLM or CDOW office.

Thanks
    Remember that many areas don't allow any vehicle travel after a certain point. That is my type of area!! Depending on where you go the 4 wheeler might not be worth the hassle.

Thanks
    I use to guide outside of Craig for a Private Ranch....look at the two areas southeast of craig (wanna say area 12) and the adjoining area into Routte County. Huge heard lot of decent elk if you can find them up in the mountains.

Thanks
    I live in Montrose CO right in 62 and it does get a bunch of pressure. Your best bet is to get as far away from the roads and 4x4 trails as you can. Best of luck to you this season and have fun.

Thanks
    Thanks everyone. I talked with a Forest Service guy in unit 70 and he said go to the south part of that area. I looked at a map and picked out Delores Peak area. Anybody know anything about this area?
    Here in TN, we make wildlife plots and hunt out of tree stands, trying to catch the deer going to the plots. Since I did not bring one of my tractor to Colorado and make a plot, now is the best way to hunt Elk? Stand or on the ground? Do I get on a peak and glass areas, then stalk them? When do I bugle? Bull or cow call? Do you use cover scents? Sorry I am so ignorant on this subject.
    Rick

Thanks
    Look to the grand mesa GMU units and you will be able to find some elk and good success on animals.

Thanks
    If you really want to hunt Delores peak area let me know by pm. I have hunted there several years. It can be pretty good.