Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

Early season scouting and elk location

I went up scouting elk this weekend and saw quite a few bulls in a couple areas, does anyone know, will these bulls continue to stay in this area all the way until archery season or are they constantly on the move?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Good question. I think it'll depend a lot on the weather as they usually move to an area for breeding.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to eblondheim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I did run through another area where i didnt see any elk but alot of trees were scraped up so I was actually thinking they may be in that area during the rut

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Elk (the species) will inhabit the same areas from year to year, however you might not always find the same animal. If water, food, or pressure change then animals will move. If Elk typically stay in the area for the hunt then there is a good chance of finding the same animals but nothing is certain.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to clacklin009 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Elk will move for the rut. They stay high in bachelor herds for the summer and move when the rut begins. We have watched bulls all summer and all of the sudden they are gone. They could just go a couple miles but when the rut hits they will be looking for cows. They usually will be in their summer range until the first couple weeks in September. It just depends on how early the rut kicks off. Last year was late for us and we started seeing new bulls around the 8th of september so if your hunt starts early go and kill them in their summer range.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Elkfreak22 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    In my experiences, the bulls will be wherever the cows are. Last year, I scouted one area and counted 62 bulls, but only 20 or so cows. Come hunting season (9/17), there were the 20 cows and the biggest bull out of the 62. Of course, they were some raghorns hanging around hoping to get a taste, but the big bull kept them at bay.

Another area I used to scout, had 200+ cows so there were big bulls all over, hanging on the outskirts waiting for the cows to go into estrus. All through July, August, and September I was seeing tons of elk. Come my muzzleloader season (10/20) There was only 75 or so cows and just a few bulls. I figured they stay in the summer area all through rut, unless they get too much pressure from humans.

Its like clacklin009 says

If water, food, or pressure change then animals will move.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tdub24 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    This is my first year putting any effort into scouting. During Sept I always have found elk in my honey hole but I have yet to see them or any sign of them this summer. I would guess they are in higher altitude in the summer and just come to my spot to breed in mid Sept. I hope so because my freezer is looking a bit empty right now.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to de_ballew For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    A friend and I have been setting up trail cameras for several years and the location of elk in the summer is never the same as the location in September.
    The bachelor bulls are normally in small groups. When the cows show up the bulls move in, at least in our area. They seem to have rutting areas that are the same location from year to year but not necessarily the same bulls.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to squirrelduster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    tdub nailed it. you find the cows during sep, you will find the bulls. as the others have said, it just depends. i have a few areas that i know the elk are year round. year round, cows calves and bulls. if there is good feed there from summer to fall then there will be elk there. heard bulls will feed amongst the cows during the hot summer months if there is quality feed to be had. not all of your monster bulls will be sky high either, they will be wherever the heck they want to be. north facing slopes full of timber at 6,000 feet will hold its fair share of elk. if the area has a healthy population they all cant feed on the same high mountain tops, they will be scatterd low and high.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ivorytip For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Like stated the bachelor bulls will hang out all summer up high as soon as they get the rut urge, they'll head to where to cows are. Locate the cows and you'll find the bulls.

I saw eleven bulls last weekend 5 in one group and 6 in another. They'll break up about the end of August and start hanging around the areas where the cows and calves are on thier summer range.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxhunter For This Useful Post: