Hybrid View

Thanks

Hunting in alaska

I,m hoping to go up to Alaska in 2012. Does anyone know the ins and outs of getting a non resedent moose tag? And does anyone know what the most inexpensive way to ship the meat if I'm blessed enough to harvest a moose? Thanks for any help you might have.

Thanks
    Long Hunter--You will need a hunting license ($85) a moose license ($500) and a harvest permit (free). Depending on what area you want to hunt you will either need to apply for the lottery in Nov 2011 (I think) to hunt 2012 or you can purchase a tag over the counter for some of the general hunt areas. Do you know where what area you want to hunt yet, or if you are using a guide?

Last year a guy was transporting moose to the lower 48 for people with a refrigerated semi. I'm not sure if he will be doing it again or how much he charged, but it would be something to look into.

Thanks
    Well, the last I checked, you just buy a NR tag across the counter. There may be some restrictions in a few units, but none I know of. Alaska has 26 units and those units near roads/population centers may have a quota of some kind, but I wouldn't hunt there anyhow. My best moose hunt was a float trip down one of Alaska's remote, fly-in rivers. Best trip I ever had. Almost all of the hunting in Alaska is a big deal. You don't just jump in your pickup and head for the hills. There are few roads, other than main highways, so you need a way to get to the game. Flying is the most popular, but some folks use boats and others use ATV s. There are lots of ways to hunt moose, but having done most of them, I recommend the float trip option. If you are planning to hire a guide or outfitter, they can fill you in. If it will be a do it yourself, PM me and I'll help a bit.
    I found the best meat processor to be Indian Valley Meats, in Indian Valley, just south of Anchorage about 30 minutes. For shipping your meat home, I'd call them and see if they have an option, after they cut and freeze it. In any case, it won't be cheap. You can also check with Alaska Airlines and get prices from them. Like I said when I started this, hunting in Alaska is a big deal! Good Luck!

Thanks
    I had a friend that shot a large moose a few years ago. He looked into FedEx, UPS etc. and it was very expensive. Some even wanted to split the skull so it wasn't so wide. But his brother happened to work at a gold mine in Fairbanks and had the inside track with a trucking company. They hauled it back to Oregon with some of the meat for around $300. If I remember right, FedEx was 1500 or more, so I would look at finding some kind of trucker to haul back.
    The other possibility is to drive and haul back yourself.
    NRA Life Member OHA Life Member
    Hunter for Life

Thanks
    Some good info already posted. There are some width restrictions like must be 50" or 3 eye guards to be legal in some units. I'd go to there website and do your homework some areas are better than others. Good luck!

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ting.resources

Thanks
    Thanks for the info you all have supplied. The trip i'm planning will be with my wifes cousin who is a resident and experienced hunter. He owns his own boat and we are talking about working down stream from an area thats not to far from Fairbanks. I believe this is a dram only area but i'm not sure. I thought I might run into someone that knows the ins and outs of non-resedent tags. This is all great stuff thanks again. Good huntin.