Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

    2014 Outfitter and area for Elk Hunt

    I'm going to try and use my points for next year and would like some recommendations. I will have 7 points going into next year and want to do a guided hunt for a good bull in Wyoming. I have been a subscriber for years and have the mrs that I read regularly. Just asking if you guys had that many points what area and outfitter would you be looking at?

    I plan on rifle hunting but would also entertain a bow hunt if the quality of the hunt would be better. I live in Kentucky so I would to get the opportunity to hunt a great area and see lots of animals.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Safe hunting to all

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would look into unit 61 or 62. Call Bob Sundeen with Trails West Outfitters as that would be my first choice.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    512
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 58 Times in 52 Posts
    Congratulations
    109
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I sent ya a private message.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    227
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Why waste the money on an outfitter unless you want to go into the wilderness. If you are doing rifle a good unit should be slam dunk with a little effort

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Allegan, MI
    Posts
    1,076
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 242 Times in 198 Posts
    Congratulations
    2
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Why waste the money on an outfitter unless you want to go into the wilderness. If you are doing rifle a good unit should be slam dunk with a little effort

    ***This sounds like a comment from a person who has either never hunted elk before or has hunted them for so long that he's so good at it that he takes it for granted! I'd also recommend Bob Sundeen, as stated above, or Jake Clark. Both guys are well know as hard working, honest gents that hunt great areas and will get you on a good bull most of the time.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    vegas
    Posts
    1,212
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 158 Times in 104 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    ***This sounds like a comment from a person who has either never hunted elk before or has hunted them for so long that he's so good at it that he takes it for granted! I'd also recommend Bob Sundeen, as stated above, or Jake Clark. Both guys are well know as hard working, honest gents that hunt great areas and will get you on a good bull most of the time.
    Comments like this are what send threads like this into a downhill spiral. Grab a chair fellas this should ugly quick.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Allegan, MI
    Posts
    1,076
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 242 Times in 198 Posts
    Congratulations
    2
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hardstalk View Post
    Comments like this are what send threads like this into a downhill spiral. Grab a chair fellas this should ugly quick.
    Downhill spiral in what way? A person who has never hunted elk may not not see an elk in the best unit in the state if he doesn't know what he's doing. I've never heard of any elk hunt being considered a "slam dunk"! Knowing a unit through repeated scouting and hunts is one of the main reasons for success IMHO and that's why an outfitter is not a bad idea for a first timer, regardless of whether he hunts in an area that doesn't require one.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The high plains of Colorado
    Posts
    597
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 64 Times in 58 Posts
    Congratulations
    7
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    Downhill spiral in what way? A person who has never hunted elk may not not see an elk in the best unit in the state if he doesn't know what he's doing. I've never heard of any elk hunt being considered a "slam dunk"! Knowing a unit through repeated scouting and hunts is one of the main reasons for success IMHO and that's why an outfitter is not a bad idea for a first timer, regardless of whether he hunts in an area that doesn't require one.
    Show me a slam dunk elk and I'll show you a high fence. This will get fun to just sit back and watch.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    227
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    Downhill spiral in what way? A person who has never hunted elk may not not see an elk in the best unit in the state if he doesn't know what he's doing. I've never heard of any elk hunt being considered a "slam dunk"! Knowing a unit through repeated scouting and hunts is one of the main reasons for success IMHO and that's why an outfitter is not a bad idea for a first timer, regardless of whether he hunts in an area that doesn't require one.
    Obviously this is coming from a guy who does not know how to find elk any other way besides using his wallet. If a guy puts forth the effort as I stated "scouting, research, and boot leather" it would be a slam dunk I am assuming you are a Michigan guy so I will look past your ignorance since I assume your idea of effort is sitting in a tree stand all day

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Reno, Nevada, United States
    Posts
    2,105
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 154 Times in 116 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Obviously this is coming from a guy who does not know how to find elk any other way besides using his wallet. If a guy puts forth the effort as I stated "scouting, research, and boot leather" it would be a slam dunk I am assuming you are a Michigan guy so I will look past your ignorance since I assume your idea of effort is sitting in a tree stand all day
    Scouting, research and boot leather is recipe for success!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Colorado OTC Archery Elk Hunt 2014
    By rcfireninja in forum Elk
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-11-2014, 05:37 PM
  2. 2014 EHJ Trophy Mule Deer Hunt
    By ScottR in forum General Hunting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-11-2014, 11:19 AM
  3. Area 20 or 21 Antelope 2014 Wyoming
    By mattdeere in forum Antelope
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-25-2014, 07:19 PM
  4. 2014 Antelope Hunt with 0 PP
    By cycloneshooter in forum Wyoming
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-05-2013, 09:23 PM
  5. Spike camp/outfitter hunt reccomendations
    By joemf1985 in forum Colorado
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-27-2012, 09:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •