Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Co f&g website, tag questions

I'm lucky just to get this thing turned on much less figure out much on the Colorado fish and game website. In doing research for the future I find not much of what I'm looking for. GMU #'s 6,7 & 8. I find no hunts listed at all for area 8. Nothing.
    Elk tags...
    My questions are: how many NR pp does it take to draw muzzy, cow and either/bull tags in these units. Can any of those tags be drawn as a second choice?
    I am obviously the dumbest one of this entire group and would really appreciate any help trying to figure this out.
    Thanks so much.

First rifle
    Last edited by canvsbk; 07-24-2013 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Addition

Thanks
    Congratulations
    First let me say that the website does take a little time to figue out how to navigate it. Units 7,8,9,19 &191 are all together. I'll check on the points and get back.

Back....looks like no points required for cow or bull. No either sex tags in these units.

To look up this go to cpw.state.co.us then go to Hunting, then Big Game, then Statistics then go to Elk and look at the 2012 stats as all of the 2013 numbers are not there yet.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 07-24-2013 at 02:23 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My wife says I'm beyond help but we don't listen to her.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Here are the 2013 draw stats. This shows you how many tags were available and how many residents and non-residents applied for each area. Recall that 65% of licenses go to residents and 35% go to nonresidents, unless the unit takes more than 5 (I think) pp for a resident to draw, then the split is 80/20. You have to figure that in when figuring out draw odds. The CDOW website does not do a good job of explaining that. Also, when units are combined, you will not find all units listed in the recap, as they will all fall under the first unit in the hunt unit group. For instance, the muzz tag for 7,8,9,19,191 will be EM007O1M.

Scrolling down to EM007O1M, you can see that there were 255 tags available and 471 first choice applicants, 336 residents, and 135 nonresidents. Using the 65/35 split, nonresidents would have dibs on about 90 of those tags. Looking at the number of people who applied and with how many points, you can see that 2 nonresi applied with 4 points, 2 with 3, 9 with 2, 45 with 1, and 76 applied with 0 points. Counting down from 90, your odds of drawing that hunt with 0 points are about 25%.

A look at the cow muzzy tag shows that you could draw a cow tag second choice, but it's no guaranteed.

A decade ago those tags could be picked up leftover, no problem. The CDOW has observed lower elk numbers in the areas since then and they're not really sure why, so the bio has lowered tag number significantly.

https://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCol...kHuntRecap.pdf

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks so much. What really had me confused was the hunts where they combine units, when that finally sunk in it makes a whole bunch more sense now. There's a lot of info there for me to stumble on...