Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

Is it too late to plan an otc rifle elk hunt in Colorado

I didn't draw any tags this year and the leftover tags for antelope weren't available in the area I wanted in Wyoming. I was going to do a Aoudad hunt in Texas but the few places to hunt with trespass fees are booked up until the spring of 2014. I've hunted Mule deer the past 5 years in Nebraska and Wyoming but I want to try something different.

I've never done a backcountry hunt or hunted elk in any manner. I'm going to need some elk hunting experience if I draw one of my LE tags in the next few years anyway. I would be happy with a legal bull of pretty much any size my first year, but I would like to hunt an OTC unit with the potential of a 250+ bull. I would like to learn a unit or 2 with OTC 2nd and 3rd rifle elk and an easy to draw (5pp or less) for deer so when I draw the deer I could hunt elk again. With these criteria in mind is this doable in 2 and 1/2 months? I've been researching the southwest region.

Any help would be greatly appreciated along with GPS coordinates to you're honey holes. just kidding!
    Feel free to pm if you don't want it up on the internet. I've got a few areas in mind but I'm very open to suggestions because I am a elk hunting and backcountry newbie.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 15 Times in 8 Posts
    I have been thinking about getting an OTC elk tag and scouting for deer at the same time too. Its never to late for OTC elk untill the season is over! I say pick some areas that interest you and go for it. Atleast you will be hunting and seeing new country!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 37 Times in 7 Posts
    Keep your standards reasonable and shoot the first legal bull you see on an OTC tag, especially if you are a newbie. A 250 bull is a HECK of a bull on an OTC tag. Pretty much any good Colorado units are going to have a few bulls that size but killing one is another question.

When I started out, I hunted cow elk quite a bit. A good way to learn an area and greatly increase your odds of success.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Colorado has almost unlimited hunting for 2nd & 3rd season otc bull tags. There are only a few units where they are not valid. Sure there are tons of hunters, but still the chance is there. Myself I like to hunt cows if I can't draw the unit I want. This year I didn't apply, just for points because I'll be in another state hunting. My plans were not firmed up enough to apply for the cow tag, so I hoped there would be one leftover....fat chance!

One thing to keep in mind is that the state has cut back on some of the cow tags as certain herds are getting close to their ideal numbers. Check the statistics, it is a great resource to research.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good advice guys. UH I don't know why but a raghorn bull would be fine with me. The success rates for elk are super low compared to deer so I know I can't be picky. Besides elk meat is tasty! I've only had it once but it was way better than deer of either species. Musket I think you are right, I think I will go for it. Looks like I can pick up a deer tag on 2-4 pts for 2nd or 3rd rifle in gmu 70 but the pressure for elk is tremendous. 1-2 pts in gmu 62, 1 or less in 71, 72, 74, 75. I don't see any info on 65, 73, 711, 741, 751 but they are grouped up with some of the previous gmus when it comes to deer hunting, right?
    Last edited by Alabama; 07-28-2013 at 09:49 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    I don't see any info on 65, 73, 711, 741, 751 but they are grouped up with some of the previous gmus when it comes to deer hunting, right?
    70,71,72,73 & 711 are all grouped together. 65 is with 64 and 751 is with 75. If you decide to hunt 70 thru 711, PM me and maybe I can help you some. These are with 20 miles of my homeplace and I hunt them a lot.

Good luck.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 15 Times in 8 Posts
    They probabally are grouped with other units. Its all on the Co site which is a bit confusing till you figure it out. The unit groups are easier to find in the reg book and you can down load it.