Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dog training

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

dog training

i know this is sorta off topic but i figure you guys have better insight than an actual dog forum. i have had 2 dogs, a labrottie and a labchessie that i trained for hunting sheds. both have died at very young ages. i have a new black lab that i am starting this training with. any recomended books or disks that would be helpfull? i trained mine my own way and they did well but i am no trainer and id like to do it with strict obedince. any insight would be awesome!!! thanks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Not sure on books. Fatrascal seems to have it down! Hopefully hell chime in. I trained mine a couple years back as a pup. It helped alot to grind sheds into their food. Some fetch with a shed. Then start hiding it around the yard.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    grind sheds into their food??? hmmm, never thought of that, ill have to try that out. my main concern right now is to teach it the basics, sit, come, heel.... the last 2 dogs i skipped over those aspects to fast by my excitement of getting the antler hunting going. although good dogs, they werent as obedient as i wouldve liked them to be. i just wanna make sure i do it right this time ya know? thanks for the insight hardstalk!! he comes from a good line and i can allready tell he loves the water, but ill work that part in later.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My dog was introduced to tennis balls and sticks... Keep him away from both of those devils! Ive never in my life bought a tennis ball. Yet there laying all over my yard.. No clue where she finds them. When I take her to the hills I tell her " get your sheds!" She sniffs for about 10 minutes and then says to hell with it and brings me a nice stick.

Definitely get your basics solid first. You can work on multiple skills at the same time once they realize there learning.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hardstalk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I trained both my English pointers and my lab with the basic obedience principles in "gun dog" by Richard Wolters. I felt that to be a easy read and easy to implement and follow.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Work2hunt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    ive had a few people tell me to get that book by richard, ill head down to barnes and noble tomorrow. thanks guys. i just ordered some antler scent to keep sheds smelling strong for now, i have a pile of small sheds to pick from. should i get him use to elk and moose sheds too? or is an antler an antler? my first dog would bring me antlers but would also bring the ocasional rib from a carcas, im assuming that is to be expected?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    IT- I trained my dog with 'Water Dog' by Richard Wolters. I suppose gun dog would be the same, but I don't have experience with that book. My only regret with Water Dog, was that I didn't read it all the way through before starting my dog. Life would have been much easier if I would have.

I make zero claims of being some sort of dog training expert, but when it came to sheds, I brought some home shortly after I got the dog, and gave them to her as toys. She has small spike/ fork horn antlers for inside the house, and bigger ones for outside. She is always packing one around somewhere. I just tell her to "Go get a horn!"
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fink For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm interested in training an antler dog as well. There's lots of information on line. The obedience might be seperate initial training? I'm no expert though. I have two German shorthairs. Both mind really well. The older is on her last leg. The younger I'm planning to start training on antlers. I'm gonna try to start training him first to get into it, then get a puppy after my female passes. This way maybe I'll have a clue what I'm doing from trying to train my other dog first. There's lots of antler training DVD's along with plastc training antlers and scent you add to them. I would assume the real thing works better though? I'm sure you've seen this stuff already. Whether it really ever works out or not, it sounds like fun. Good luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have always wondered about this, I've got a GSP that I've trained on birds (speed training your bird dog by Larry Mueller). I hunt chukar and quail with but he has pointed sheds for me on several occasions (deer and antelope). I never trained that, actually broke him from hooves critters and varmints. He still points sheds which is kinda cool out chasing chukar.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JasonGNV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    i cant get him to stop yelping at night. 1st and 3rd night was fine but 2nd and 4th was horrible. before he gets put in kennel for the night he goes for mile walk and play time with kids with some basic training after, so he is wore out and falls asleep fast. but at 3am he wants out. its a big kennel, 10 x 15 feet. should i keep him in a crate at night with a blanket over it till he get a bit bigger? i have a couple of young mouser cats and i think they may be getting him worked up.