Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking for a sportsman's perspective

My wife was just offered an interview in Pueblo, CO in mid September.

If the job itself seems ok what is that area like? From what she knows a lot of the people in the department she'd be working in actually live in/near Colorado Springs and commute to Pueblo. I'd go with her but already have a fishing trip with my dad planned for SW Montana since I didn't draw any tags this year.

For the important part whats that area like for a sportsman. We'd be moving from southern NJ and I lived most of my life in western PA.

I like deer hunting, turkey hunting and use my bow whenever I can. Also in to waterfowl hunting pretty heavy with my black lab.

I can see driving west puts me into some pretty country but are there easy access opportunities near where we'd be living/working? Or mostly locked up private land.

Thanks for your perspective.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well,

I live in castle rock which is about 30 miles north of Colorado Springs. I work in Colorado Springs and spend a ton of time there. If I had a choice, I would not want to live in pueblo. If you are looking for cheap housing, pueblo might seem like a good option but I'd tell you otherwise. Traffic north absolutely sucks during prime time which is not the case from Colorado Springs moving north. Also, Colorado Springs, especially the northern part is much nicer, better schools and much safer. Pueblo is a high Latino population and a completely different demographic. Springs is a military town which is mostly Air Force. It's actually the second highest population of military next to a city in Virginia. ( I forget the name of it).

Colorado Springs has a great outdoor population and there are some decent hunting units. You also can drive about 2-3 hours northwest and get into other good hunting areas. If you have more questions, let me know and I could give you more specific info.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I lived in Colorado Springs for 3 years. Locals just call it, "The Springs." You'll love it. Beautiful scenery. You'll be in the rain shadow of Pike's Peak, so not much rain or snow. With 4 military installations, it's a pretty conservative town with plenty of affordable housing. It's right at 6,000 feet but 9,000" feet is a 30-minute drive west.

There is good deer, elk, and bighorn sheep hunting within 1-2 hour's drive, though the best hunting is farther away than that. SW of Pueblo is a good area for black bears. There are a few antelope down that way, too. I'm not a turkey hunter so not sure about that.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Bowhunting in CO is far different than in NJ or PA. There is some waterfowl hunting to the east and southeast but not nearly what you're used to in NJ.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I live in the Springs. Could offer my perspective as well, but I have a heck of a lot more to say than I wish to type..

Frankly, Pueblo is closer to good waterfowling and turkey hunting than the Springs is, but for me it's worth driving an extra 40 minutes not to live in Pueblo. Too dadgum hot down there. They have tarantulas too.

Anyways, shoot me a pm if you wanna chat and I will give you my phone number. If not, hope the above helps.

Good luck with the upcoming crossroad.
    Last edited by ckink65284; 07-30-2013 at 10:16 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    You couldn't pay me to live in Pueblo. Way too hot.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    You couldn't pay me to live in Pueblo. Way too hot.
    My thoughts exactly... I live in the mountains west of the Springs. It's OK but still front range which is nothing like the western slope. Someone said it's pretty conservative. That in my opinion is not the case. I wouldn't call the housing affordable either. Just my opinion. Pueblo is cheaper but I'd definite look for close alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    I don't know the area, but if someone loves to hunt, it would be hard to be more centrally located.

Loads of opportunities in Colorado.

3 hours from SE Wyoming.

3 hours from New Mexico

6 hours from Utah

8 hours from SE Montana.

8 hour drive from NE Arizona.

9 hours from SE Idaho

Living in Western Oregon I drive 1.5 to 3 days to hunt most of those areas.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 07-31-2013 at 10:03 AM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I grew up in Manitou Springs, next to Colo. Springs. If I was to work in Pueblo, I would look into living in Rye. About a 30 minute drive north to Pueblo but much different country. A nice little town right on the edge of beautiful country. The commute would be an easy one.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by BKC View Post
    I grew up in Manitou Springs, next to Colo. Springs. If I was to work in Pueblo, I would look into living in Rye. About a 30 minute drive north to Pueblo but much different country. A nice little town right on the edge of beautiful country. The commute would be an easy one.
    There are quite a few small towns west of Pueblo near the NF that I would really look hard at.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley