Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trail cam's

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have a couple that I use oround my place. I want to know what is coming into my garden and eating everything, whats getting all the duck & goose egs around our pond and whatever else gets caught in the camera. Raccons, skunks, deer, fox, feral cats....you name it.

Technology is always on the move. We all use range finders, new & better optics, GPS, etc, etc. Can't see any difference with game cameras.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have one camera I usually put it over a water tank where I think deer are watering. Almost every picture is of a deer drinking at night, or an occasional coon or coyote. I use mine to see whats around in hopes of getting a picture of a big one, or anything else interesting. I just enjoy looking at the pictures of animals, even if I get a picture of the state record it's still just that....a picture. To me, a game camera is not going to fill your tag, but may inform you of a nice buck that your scouting has not revealed (usually bc they are only moving at night in my area).

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I just got one last year. I don't get to scout where i hunt enough to make multiple trips over and over to monitor cameras.

My logic is this:
    A game camera has a very limited range, so the hunter who is using it already has the skills and the knowledgr to determine where animals will "likely" be. I think it allows hunters of mature animals to confidently pass on smaller animals because they know a more mature animal is in the area. With that said, think about the fact that a hunter will pass on "good" bucks in the hope of the "great" buck and go home with a tag, because he never came back. A guy that never used a camera will take that "good" buck, and feel great about his accomplishment.

Either way, a camera is just a means to an end. I don't see it being any more or less ethical than a couple guys with big spotting scopes covering 5 sq miles and comparing notes for a few days and then going after the herd and having a great hunt.

Please don't let this thread deteriorate like some others. This is a great topic, and i think these topics need to be raised periodically as technology continues to improve. We love our sport, but someone else's opinion can be pretty enlightening once in awhile.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Have 3 myself. I mostly just enjoy seeing the videos of the animals and getting a peak into their life. Also feel good knowing I have some eyes on our family farm because no one is there 90 percent of the time. I do feel like they are cheating a bit. So far I haven't used them to pattern any animals but I am hoping I get some pics of some decent bucks...and I am not sure how I will feel if using a camera leads to me getting a deer. If it is something I could have done using my wits and just pure interpretation of sign, hunches, hard work...I know I appreciate the success more. Hunting is as much about the journey , if not more, as it is the destination.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a few and use them whenever I can. I can't say they've really helped me get any deer, but they sure are fun. Half the fun of hunting is all the preparation and planning. This just gives you another thing to get excited about. At times they also help to keep your motivation up after a long season. On a number of occasions I've hunt a stand multiple days and never saw anything. Motivation started to get low. Getting up so early to climb the mountain is a little less fun each day. So I put up a camera and I'm shocked at what I see. Some times it's a big buck in the middle of the night, others I'm surprised to see deer go by mid day when they should be bedded and lastly I've seen a buck come through less than 5 minutes after I left. In all those instances I still never shot a deer from those stands, but those pictures kept me thinking...."there's still a chance!"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I don't mind people using them, but I won't use them myself. It is more exciting to be surprised by whats coming in, whats around the next bend, or whats over the next hill. I don't know what is so enjoyable about hunting an area where you know every animal by name and the biggest surprise is seeing a new buck or bull that you don't have a trail cam picture of. On the rare occasion I watch a "modern" hunting TV show, it seems as though all the hunters go to guide services and the first thing they do is look at the trail cam pics of the deer they will be hunting. Its almost as if the hunters can browse a catalog and pick out what they want. Even the nocturnal bucks/bulls can't hide anymore. Its seeing the unexpected with my own two eyes that gets my heart pounding....but like I said before, I don't care if other people use them in their own quests.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a bunch of them. Heavily in favor of them as they are probably the best mgmt tool available.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a couple and I really enjoy them. I like to see what's around my hunting areas and enjoy looking at the pictures. I don't try to pattern a particular buck just enjoy seeing them on the camera. I guess it's like a whole 'nother sport for me. Just an excuse to get out in the woods sort of like shed hunting I guess. I put cameras out in spots I don't intend to hunt sometimes just to see what I can get.

Bob

Thanks
    Congratulations
    A lot of this depends on how "aggressive" you are with your cameras. If I was strictly a Trophy Hunter I would probably be more religious about keeping multiple cameras going to make sure I knew what was out there. If I was only a meat hunter I wouldn't waste my time/money on any of it. I am somewhere in the middle with my one camera that is on the shelf more than in the field. To each their own.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am up to three now and have had a blast with them. At first I got them just for trying to pattern deer but now I seem to use them year round. I love being able to take my 4 year old daughter out to check them thoughout the year. I think she has more fun than I do. Like BobT said it's like a new sport for us.