Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barnes TTSX

Thanks

Barnes TTSX

Has anyone shot an Elk with the new bullet .?I shoot the the TSX and was wondering if anyone has had any problems with them.I was worried about over expansion at close range on an Elk I have had problems before with other bullets.I shot a .300 Win.Mag.

Thanks
    Haven't shot the TTSX but I love the TSX. I killed my biggest muley in 2009 and my largest elk in 2010 using a 110-grain TSX from a .257 Weatherby Mag. Both shots where at ~125 yards. These were factory loads but I recently purchased a reloading kit so I can start reloading my own loads with TSX for all my calibers to get the best out of all my rifles. Good Luck

Thanks
    I shot elk the last 2 years using the Barnes TTSX 150 gr bullet shot out of my 7mm RUM. I would say that the bullet performed well. There was pretty good weight retention - over 90% on the 1st bull that was shot at approx 150 yards. But that shot hit the spine.
    The 2nd bull I shot 3 times broadside at 400 yards and each bull completely passed through. All shots were through the lungs area.

They are very accurate out of my rifle.

Thanks
    Love the TTSX. I've yet to have a problem with expansion in either my 30-06 or my .270.
    People in SUV's and suburbs will kill more game animals than a man with a bow, ever could.

Thanks
    The ttsx is great. I have shot 3 elk and 1 black bear with my 308 168 ttsx gr. I have yet tried the factory ttsx ammo.

Thanks
    Thanks guys I was just curious because they shot well through my rifles and I would like to use them I have had bad luck with the Winchester bullets fragmenting when I hit large bone .I had shot a spike elk in the shoulder and the 180 grain ballistic tip only went in about 3" before blowing apart I was able to get him with a follow up shot.I was worried these might do the same.The shot was probably 100 yards or so.

Thanks
    I've never had a bullet break up when shooting the TTSX, but I have blown up every other bullet I have tried in my Thompson Center .270. I have the long heavy barrel and hand load them pretty hot. I shot a moose with some of the new Federal Fusion bullets and they didn't exit the far side, just a mess of fragments on the inside of the hide.
    With my hot loads I shot my whitetail doe at 70yards and got full expansion, ridiculous internal damage, as little meat loss as I could expect from anything, and a ten step blood trail.
    People in SUV's and suburbs will kill more game animals than a man with a bow, ever could.

Thanks
    I have never had a problem with Barnes bullets. The problem you said you are having with your other bullets fragmenting is the reason we shoot Barnes. The stay togther. I have loaded and shot the X bullet,coated (blue) X, tsx, ttsx and the mrx in 338 win mag , 300 Tejas and just working up some 270 loads for my teenage daughter to shoot. I have never recovered a bullet. I have always wanted to ,but all have been pass threw shots even one threw the shoulder of a deer at 625 yards.
    If your rifle shoots them well you cant go wrong.

Thanks
    I took a cow last December with the 180 TTSX in my Savage 116 300WM; they work great, I'm really impressed with them.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Last year was the first year I've shot Barnes bullets. I loaded the 180 gr TSX in front of IMR7828 for my 300 WM running at a slow 2815 fps. I took 6 plains game animals in South Africa including 2 kudu (168 and 225 yards), black wildebeest (271 yards), blesbok (70 yards), mountain reedbuck (125 yards) and common duiker (~30 yards). Additionally, I took a scimitar horned oryx (265 yards) and a blackbuck (~70 yards) in Texas and ended my season with a bull elk (150-200 yards) here in Colorado. Of all these animals, I never recovered a bullet. I did recover a single petal from the exit wound on the kudu that was taken at 225 yards. Only two of these animals required a second shot. I've been throughly impressed with the Barnes TSX bullets and the performance last year.

I've loaded a set of 168 grain TTSX to have a look at them. Although, I'm not sure why because I have nothing to complain about regarding the TSX performance!