Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 1 Post

Boysen Reservoir / Antelope

Hello everyone.

Last year I was able to get a 63-2 tag out of the leftover pool. Many of the antelope were congregated around Pathfinder reservoir- especially on the north side of the unit. They would walk down along the sand and drink out of the lake in the same way they use a stock tank, or puddle by a stock tank. I had heard from some locals that a large portion of the local antelope herd migrated to the area around the lake due to lack of water in the surrounding hills.

I have a 75 tag this year and was wondering if the antelope were prone to moving towards the Boysen Reservoir in the same way in western portion of unit 75.

Just curious as to what all of you have witnessed in the Boysen Reservoir area in the past.

Thanks,

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 1 Post
    There r definitely antelope by Boysen. I have not noticed abnormal concentrations of antelope as the summer progresses

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Drelk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've hunted 75 quite a bit, there is quite a bit of water sources scattered through the unit.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wyohunter1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 1 Post
    I hunted there last year, 4 of us took antelope up to 79" gross. I got one of the maps of the unit from Eastman's store and it helped. We had a fun hunt and saw lots of new country. It was really dry up there and mass suffered some it seemed. Heading home we cut down through the Medicine Bow mountains and the country seemed much greener. The goats there seemed to be heavier and have much better cutters too on average. In 75 it wasn't hard to find goats over 14" with plenty breaking 15, but finding one with good mass or cutters was tough.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mcseal2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 1 Post
    Thanks everyone- I have the BLM maps, Gazetteer and the huntingGPS map for my Garmin and I've been trying to study the area on Google Earth. I'm just trying to narrow down where I should start looking inside the area. I only have 3 days to hunt. If I could find someting that would make mid 70's gross- I'd be happy. They cut the tags this year and I've read in other posts that the numbers are down from previous years so I'm not sure what to expect. Looking at the drought map- it looks like it is pretty dry this year as well. I drew it with 1 pt so I figure I should be happy to have the tag even if the mass on them is lacking like mcseal2 found last year.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PlainsHunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 40 Times in 6 Posts
    Hunt down in the southwestern 1/4 and you'll do fine.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 1 Post
    I don't think you should have trouble finding one in the mid 70's in 3 days. We scouted for 2 days before season but only hunted 3 days to get the four. We didn't find much on the north end where things get steeper, but the rest of the unit had lots of goats. The southwestern 1/4 was one of the better places for size and numbers but was real crowded with hunters the first couple days. After that things calmed down everywhere.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 40 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcseal2 View Post
    I don't think you should have trouble finding one in the mid 70's in 3 days. We scouted for 2 days before season but only hunted 3 days to get the four. We didn't find much on the north end where things get steeper, but the rest of the unit had lots of goats. The southwestern 1/4 was one of the better places for size and numbers but was real crowded with hunters the first couple days. After that things calmed down everywhere.

Yep, and that's why I always skip the first 4 or 5 days of a any season out there unless I'm out for the long haul until the end.