Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JMSZ View Post
    Thanks.

Question - Have you ever tried vacuum sealing a sandwich - like a peanut butter and bacon sandwich?

I was reading backpacking light again and they mentioned pre-cooked bacon that apparently holds up pretty well after it's opened and with no refrigeration.

That has me thinking...

Check this out - http://www.amazon.com/Case-Yoders-Pr...e-cooked+bacon

Even better - https://www.cmmginc.com/product_p/13401ab.htm

I never knew this stuff existed...
    I vacuum sealed a bagel once... It was an epic fail. Squished it down to nothing, and pretty much turned it into a rock. I'd just go with the 'suck the air out of a zipock' method.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fink For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    I vacuum sealed a bagel once... It was an epic fail. Squished it down to nothing, and pretty much turned it into a rock. I'd just go with the 'suck the air out of a zipock' method.
    Yes that is right!! Anything with lots of air in it will be a no go. All the air will be suck out! I have done wraps with tortilla shells and that worked pretty good.nuts freeze dried goods and dried goods vacuum well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 25contender For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I use the vac sealer for meat and love it. For backpacking the bags are heavier and they are harder to pack as they are stiff and have a lot of edges. I usually use a bear can but even if not space is always at a premium. I even repack comercial backpacking food in ziplocks. I guess if you are making it up way in advance the vac sealer would keep it fresh longer. Why not make up your big batch and seal it in a large bag and repack it in ziplocks just before you leave. As for the shelf stable bacon, you can find it just about anywhere. I got my last at Walmart. It was Oscar Meyer. After you open it , you have to keep it cool but will stay good for a couple of days unless real hot out. (warning; may atract critters)
    http://www.kraftbrands.com/oscarmaye...ly-cooked.html

14 days of the same anything would kill me. I even alternate the stuff I love. I am sold on dehydrating too. Check out this site.
    http://www.trailcooking.com/

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by 25contender View Post
    Yes that is right!! Anything with lots of air in it will be a no go. All the air will be suck out! I have done wraps with tortilla shells and that worked pretty good.nuts freeze dried goods and dried goods vacuum well.
    Makes sense irt the bread... so, peanut butter and bacon pita - more compact.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by JMSZ View Post
    Makes sense irt the bread... so, peanut butter and bacon pita - more compact.
    Dont put to much Peanut butter as it will be squeezed out!! You will smell like peanut butter!! All you would need is a really thin layer. I would put the PB, or other spread on after you opened it to eat.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by 87TT View Post
    14 days of the same anything would kill me. I even alternate the stuff I love. I am sold on dehydrating too. Check out this site.
    Above is just part of the Snack. I bring a variety for Breakfast lunch and dinner

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by 87TT View Post
    I use the vac sealer for meat and love it. For backpacking the bags are heavier and they are harder to pack as they are stiff and have a lot of edges. I usually use a bear can but even if not space is always at a premium. I even repack comercial backpacking food in ziplocks. I guess if you are making it up way in advance the vac sealer would keep it fresh longer. Why not make up your big batch and seal it in a large bag and repack it in ziplocks just before you leave. As for the shelf stable bacon, you can find it just about anywhere. I got my last at Walmart. It was Oscar Meyer. After you open it , you have to keep it cool but will stay good for a couple of days unless real hot out. (warning; may atract critters)
    http://www.kraftbrands.com/oscarmaye...ly-cooked.html

Ah, you go to backpacking light too I thought about the variety, but I think this year I'm going to have to tough it out unless I can talk the wife into getting a vacuum sealer soon. I looked at Packit Gourmet and some others, but they are bloody expensive and a lot of them have a low calorie/weight ratio.

I've looked at some of that lady's recipes, they look really good and the concept is really good.

I'm not a fan of ziplocks, I've had too many incidents of a ziplock opening up and either dumping their contents or just letting whatever is inside get damp/dry (whatever it's not supposed to be). Granted, it's been with them in pockets where they're moving around more, but it's happened enough that I won't trust my food with them.

If I could find a way to secure them, it be a completely different matter. My wife had one of those bag sealers, I might see if she still knows where that is.

What kind of bear canister to you have? I was thinking about an Ursack, but I just read a post on BPL from a guy from back in 2010 about his Ursacks bear encounter...It held together, but the food was destroyed and the bear actually managed to make some punctures.

Bear slobber and carnation instant breakfast - YUM.

So, I'm stuck with a canister.

I may talk the wife into getting a vacuum sealer since we can use it for the garden, etc. We like to pick up stuff on sale and stick it in the freezer, so it sounds like it would be useful for that.

If I do that, I'll be more apt to do a bulk pack.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I actually use a bear bag. Well my own version. I use a larger water tight stuff bag. Throw a piece of cord over a limb 10-15 feet off the ground then run the end of cord you threw over the limb through a snap-link that holds the bag then toss the same end of cord over a limb about the same height on a close by tree. (Leaving the bag and with snap-link on the ground.) Then tie that end off to the trunk of the tree about six ft off the ground. All you do now is pull the sack up off the ground on the other end and tie it off. I leave a little slack in the line for wind and to make the sack self center in between the two trees. To let the bag down just untie and let it down. It has worked well over the past 20 years.
    Last edited by 25contender; 08-06-2013 at 01:27 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by 25contender View Post
    I actually use a bear bag. Well my own version. I use a larger water tight stuff bag. Throw a piece of cord over a limb 10-15 feet off the ground then run the end of cord you threw over the limb through a snap-link that holds the bag then toss the same end of cord over a limb about the same height on a close by tree. (Leaving the bag and with snap-link on the ground.) Then tie that end off to the trunk of the tree about six ft off the ground. All you do now is pull the sack up off the ground on the other end and tie it off. I leave a little slack in the line for wind and to make the sack self center in between the two trees. To let the bag down just untie and let it down. It has worked well over the past 20 years.
    Yeah, that's what I'm used to, but where I'm going, you're required to have a bear canister, so I have to work around (or, within) that.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The bearicade is the gold standard but pricey. I have a Garcia(black) and a Bear vault (clear with black lid that screws on). If I had to pick between those, I would take the Bear Vault. It holds a little more and it's see through so you can find stuff at the bottom.