Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You can always get some small packets of olive oil and throw it in some of the freeze dried meals. Flavor plus calories and adds taste too. For hunting trips, I'm like you guys in that I want a quick breakfast that's has some staying power like oatmeal, usually with nuts and fruit like raisins or dates. I will say if I'm going to make a real breakfast, I highly recomend Ova Easy instant eggs. They will ruin you for any other powdered eggs. I can't tell them from real. Throw in some shelf stable bacon or chorizo and it can't be beat.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 87TT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by 87TT View Post
    You can always get some small packets of olive oil and throw it in some of the freeze dried meals. Flavor plus calories and adds taste too. For hunting trips, I'm like you guys in that I want a quick breakfast that's has some staying power like oatmeal, usually with nuts and fruit like raisins or dates. I will say if I'm going to make a real breakfast, I highly recomend Ova Easy instant eggs. They will ruin you for any other powdered eggs. I can't tell them from real. Throw in some shelf stable bacon or chorizo and it can't be beat.
    I will have to try the eggs. I have a bunch of 1 oz Olive oil and honey packets made that I throw in with each meal. They are easy to make with the vacuum sealer. I will post a pic.

Thanks
    Congratulations

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by 87TT View Post
    Thanks for reminding me - now that I know about the straw trick, I can bring along some olive oil to throw in various meals - that's a good idea.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by 25contender View Post
    JMSZ did you try the Honey Stinger peanut honey energy bar @ 190 calories? It is good.
    I was looking at those at REI last night...lower calories/oz than the waffles, so I decided to pass on them. They do look good, though.

Now that I've started paying attention to the caloric density (and now that I'm looking at carrying a 75+ pound pack), I've been following it religiously.

I'll probably go ahead and try one, if they're as good as the waffles, I'll probably end up taking some along, just to provide some variety.

I was looking at the Mountain House at REI last night, too, they actually vary pretty widely in their caloric density, so I may end up taking some along...the beef stroganoff looks pretty good.

I also noticed that their freeze dried ice cream has a lot of calories, so I may end up taking some of those along...
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by JMSZ View Post
    I was looking at those at REI last night...lower calories/oz than the waffles, so I decided to pass on them. They do look good, though.

Now that I've started paying attention to the caloric density (and now that I'm looking at carrying a 75+ pound pack), I've been following it religiously.

I'll probably go ahead and try one, if they're as good as the waffles, I'll probably end up taking some along, just to provide some variety.

I was looking at the Mountain House at REI last night, too, they actually vary pretty widely in their caloric density, so I may end up taking some along...the beef stroganoff looks pretty good.

I also noticed that their freeze dried ice cream has a lot of calories, so I may end up taking some of those along...
    I too was really impressed with the density of some of the mountain house, but I was going cold food for sept after i thought about taking the weight of the stove and the fuel into hot food cal/oz. When we eat cold food it is gone from our packs. When we are done with the hot food, we not only had to pack the stove, fuel cans, and large packaging in but also pack it back out. I started putting alot less value on the stove when i took that and the space into consideration. You guys are a little ahead of me. I will try to get my food load worksheet done this weekend and see how it compares to what you guys have. I am afraid i am skimping on cals.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I like the MH meals. Most are two servings so I split them up into one serving bags. As far as the stove I like having hot meals and it is still lighter than bringing all cold food. The fuel tank is almost always empty or close to empty when coming out. I just have to have hot meals and they are fast to make.
    Last edited by 25contender; 08-10-2013 at 10:33 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I will likely come to the same conclusion after about 5 days of snack food. I will definetely be packing the MH in November when it is cold. I was going to use the hot weather sept hunt as an experiment. You have me thinking about the 2 servings per bag now. I may have missed that before. That may quickly justify the stove for me.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm only planning one hot meal per day, for dinner. I consider it a necessity in the cold weather, good for your body and good for morale.

I'm counting the two-meal bags as one meal, for eating and for calories.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Although Mountainhous' (MH) are 2 servings I can easily eat one package. Backpackers Pantry (BP) are 2 servings and they are 2 meals. I prefer MH over BP. BP is more organic, and every meal tastes like salad, not my cup of tea (or bag of food.)