Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lightbulb New meal Pack list....

As I mentioned in a few other threads I'm a little older than most here and trying to update a few things this year the biggest thing is my food pack and trying to cut some of the food weight. So after reading a few threads and taking some advice from some on the forum I am finally putting together my 7 day food pack. Today I started with part of the mid morning snack, I did the trail mix part since it is all dried goods and I can vacuum seal it now. I am really tired of the old trail mix and not partial to peanuts so I cobbled together my own mix and figured the calorie count for each trail-mix pack.
    The list of what is in the mix per day:

Crasins Original 20 grams 65.0 calories
    Crasins Blueberry 10 grams 32.5 calories
    Crasins Pomegranate 10 grams 32.5 calories
    Granola 22 grams 92.0 calories
    Pecans 20 grams 135.0 calories
    Cashews 48 grams 274.0 calories
    Dried Mango 12.1 grams 41.9 calories
    Dried Apple 12.1 grams 41.9 calories
    Total per day 4.97 ounces 714.8 calories

Cost per day $2.25

As I move along with my food pack I will add it to this thread.....Mark

Since I will be out for fourteen days I made up fourteen trailmix packs in case I have to reload after the first seven day pack in.
    Last edited by 25contender; 08-05-2013 at 07:44 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Man this is a really good idea, They look really yummy and give you all the calories and nutrients you need.

thanks for sharing

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Yes great idea! Look forward to see what else you come up with
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    For only 5 ounces, that packs a pretty good punch! Tastes a heck of a lot better than a power bar too. I do something similar to that, except I load up on almonds and walnuts.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Im going to do some venison jerky this weekend to bring too. Trying to put some good eats together with a good calorie count but lightweight. Mark

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Ditto on this.. I just packed up 7 individual packs of my own creation, 835 calories per day. I need a vacuum sealer!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbuck View Post
    Ditto on this.. I just packed up 7 individual packs of my own creation, 835 calories per day. I need a vacuum sealer!!
    I have a older Food Saver. I think it as a antique one of the first made but it still works grate and no frills!! Nice to be able to compress it all down for packing. Since most of the food is dried or freeze dried the vacuum sealer seems to be the way to go.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good idea with that - I do like the idea of the vacuum sealer. What kind do you have and how much do you use it?

The thought of getting one has crossed my mind many times. Then I see the price plus the cost of the bags and start considering how much I'd actually use it and the thought generally fades pretty quick.

Have you done fresh vegatables with it? We've got our garden pretty well established now, has anybody here vacuum packed fresh vegetables and then forzen them? If so, does it make a real difference compared to just bagging them?

Mark - You mind if we throw some stuff on your thread?

I'm going to do a modified no-bake cookie recipe and once I have it dialed in, I'm going to put up here on the forum. It would be nice to have one list, if you're ok with somebody hijacking your thread to do it .
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Add to the thread as you like!! Its nice to have some new ideas. I use my vacuum sealer a lot. Almost everything we kill and process we package using the vacuum sealer. Your game will last way way longer in the freezer in Vacuum sealed bags. I do all my wild game and fish as well as many vegetables from the garden. My wife blanches many vegetables and then we vacuum seal them to freeze.Cost on the bags is higher but the things you freeze in them last 10 times as long in the freezer. You can also wash the larger bags after use and reuse them if you want.

Post on up some good stuff for your food packs. Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by JMSZ View Post
    Good idea with that - I do like the idea of the vacuum sealer. What kind do you have and how much do you use it?

The thought of getting one has crossed my mind many times. Then I see the price plus the cost of the bags and start considering how much I'd actually use it and the thought generally fades pretty quick.

Have you done fresh vegatables with it? We've got our garden pretty well established now, has anybody here vacuum packed fresh vegetables and then forzen them? If so, does it make a real difference compared to just bagging them?

Mark - You mind if we throw some stuff on your thread?

I'm going to do a modified no-bake cookie recipe and once I have it dialed in, I'm going to put up here on the forum. It would be nice to have one list, if you're ok with somebody hijacking your thread to do it .

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by 25contender View Post
    Add to the thread as you like!! Its nice to have some new ideas. I use my vacuum sealer a lot. Almost everything we kill and process we package using the vacuum sealer. Your game will last way way longer in the freezer in Vacuum sealed bags. I do all my wild game and fish as well as many vegetables from the garden. My wife blanches many vegetables and then we vacuum seal them to freeze.Cost on the bags is higher but the things you freeze in them last 10 times as long in the freezer. You can also wash the larger bags after use and reuse them if you want.

Post on up some good stuff for your food packs. Mark

Thanks.

Question - Have you ever tried vacuum sealing a sandwich - like a peanut butter and bacon sandwich?

I was reading backpacking light again and they mentioned pre-cooked bacon that apparently holds up pretty well after it's opened and with no refrigeration.

That has me thinking...

Check this out - http://www.amazon.com/Case-Yoders-Pr...e-cooked+bacon

Even better - https://www.cmmginc.com/product_p/13401ab.htm

I never knew this stuff existed...
    Last edited by JMSZ; 08-06-2013 at 10:08 AM.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site