Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deep 6

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post

Deep 6

What does everyone think of the new deep six setups? Arrow, inserts, broadheads, etc. I'm looking at getting into some new arrows towards the end of the season to shoot for next year and wanted to get more information on them. I understand they will have less wind drift and typically more penetration, but I just question the durability of some of these arrows, inserts, and broadheads. These are some expensive setups by the time you get everything on them and I really don't want to be snapping arrows because of the slim shaft.

Does anyone have any experience with these? I'm looking forward to see how they fly at further distances and penetrate with elk and larger game.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 48 Times in 2 Posts
    The penetration of the deep six is a joke.. I haven't seen one do a complete pass through yet.. My buddy shot his deer at 27 yds only got 6" of pen, shot a bull at 32 yds and the arrow went in 3" and fell out, didn't hit bone on any of them.. Not worth the money, I bought a dz and a half of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Rockies are the marrow of the world.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 48 Times in 2 Posts
    Still have some if you wanna buy them, 28.5" long

The Rockies are the marrow of the world.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I went with the Victory VAP 1 arrows, and target shooting I noticed a difference in penetration. I opted to go with Victory arrows because they have an insert that allows for using your same broad heads. They call them Penetrator Broad head adapter. I went with the stainless steel ones which gives more FOC. Like I said, I noticed penetration difference when shooting into a target between these and my old arrows, but before these I bought some pretty cheap arrows and that can be some of the difference.

I think a pass through shot on an animal has a lot of factors that can affect it. The broad heads and bone contact. To come to the conclusion that the new arrows are junk and gave less penetration may be jumping the gun, but I can understand the frustration. Years ago I can't explain for sure what in my set up was bad, but after loosing 3 deer I switch my entire bow setup. I made a 63 yard shot on a cow elk and had a pass through. I know most people do not believe this when I tell them but every thing must have been perfect and very lucky. The broad head looked like new yet so there was no bone contact and that is the factor I believe.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to extreme minnesotan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I believe you and have had a 72 yard pass through on a cow elk. Cut on contact broad-heads are VALUABLE choices when hunting elk. Many people love their muzzies and they do well on thick elk hide up close....but that same head suffers at distance.

Elk wallow a ton....and build up heavy layers of mud and grit in their shoulders. Bulls have VERY heavy hide near their shoulders as armor for battle. Shooting one up high with a dull broad-head can result in it backing out. But to claim a three inch penetration, and "no bone" was hit....is a tad stretched.

I have not switched to Deep 6 setups yet, but have noticed how a cut on contact broad-head is always the way to go on that thick elk hide.

On a deer, at ranges under 30 yards, most bows today will blow through that contact shoulder bone and still take the deer out. I personally took a shot that penetrated through both shoulders if a deer from 20 yards and the deer ran or tried to anyway 10 yards and was done. I was literally field dressing less than 5 minutes after the shot.

On elk, thats not going to happen, and why they tell you to wait on the shot until that animal steps forward with his leg, opening up that shoulder blade and exposing the vitals. Even their ribs can stop a dull broad-head.

Also....take some time and have your bow paper tuned before every hunt. Arrows coming out wagging are not going to penetrate worth a crap as the energy is being spent wagging all the way to the target. Make sure they shoot perfect through paper to make sure they will be putting all their energy into the target and making better penetration.
    I hunt because......

8. The Following User Says Thank You to wolftalonID For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    I have some a/c injexions on order. I will not be using deep6 broad heads though.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Drhorsepower View Post
    I have some a/c injexions on order. I will not be using deep6 broad heads though.
    Using some Stainless VAP outserts? Firenock?

2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL
    TT Xtreme FC Pro
    Custom Black Gold Ascent 4 pin
    GT Velocity 300's tipped with 125 Shuttle t's weighing 490 grains!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nvarcher View Post
    Using some Stainless VAP outserts? Firenock?

Eggs ackley. Vap penetrator2

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Hycntryhtr View Post
    The penetration of the deep six is a joke.. I haven't seen one do a complete pass through yet.. My buddy shot his deer at 27 yds only got 6" of pen, shot a bull at 32 yds and the arrow went in 3" and fell out, didn't hit bone on any of them.. Not worth the money, I bought a dz and a half of them

That is crazy! I put the helix broadhead on my injexions and compared penetration against FMJ with G5 strikers on my rinehart target. The injexions were notably outperforming the FMJ's. Unfortunately I got blanked with my bow last year, so I haven't killed an animal with them yet.