Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kimber 84

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kimber 84

Thinking of ordering a Kimber 84. Will probably be in .270. Does anyone else on here have one (any caliber)? What are your experiences and opinions of the rifle? I get a very substantial discount on Kimber as I work for in the gun department of Cabela's, although we do not have any Kimber rifles (only pistols) for sale.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 2 Posts
    I have had a Model 84 in 7mm-08 for several years. It's scoped with a Zeiss 3x9. I don't have my load data in front of me but I will say that I have tried numerous loads, using many different powders and bullets, seating depths, etc. Most of them shoot poorly. I have a load or two that will group around 1 1/2" to 2" at 100 yards from a solid bench. Most are 4"-5" groups. I have checked the bedding, scope mounts, etc. and have been handloading for 40 years, so I'm not a novice at it.
    In reading some handloader blogs, I'm not the only one to experience this problem.

Overall, the 84 is a sleek, easy to carry rifle but I can't recommend them based on my experience with it's poor accuracy.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AKaviator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have an 84L Select grade in 30-06, and it consistently shoots factory ammo sub-moa. Currently, I am shooting Barnes Vortx TTSX 180 grns, and if I do my part it can get them in under 3/4 moa.

AK Aviator might have had a lemon, every gun manufacturer produces them from time to time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mnhunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks guys. Hoping the issues with accuracy have all been resolved, more or less permanently. A 1200-1400 dollar rifle should be able to shoot at least 1 MOA

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Best day of my rifle owning life was selling my wife's Kimber 84. What an absolute p.o.s.
    Bullets jammed on the feed shoe relentlessly. Accuracy sucked, 1 1/2 at 100 yards. My junker Rem 700 will shoot 1 minute. My friends Kimber had the same problems. I saw a guy selling an 84 on campfire and mentioning it had been sold a few times, back to the factory and not fixed, re crowned, re bedded, etc, etc. and now it was shooting an inch. yeehaw and they only cost $1200.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I only own one factory rifle in it's original config. (early model tang safety M77 Ruger in 25-06). All of the rest have had new stocks, triggers or barrels. Everything I own will shoot MOA or less. I do spend lots of time at the range and talk to lots of shooters there, experienced and inexperienced. From what have learned, if I was in the market for a new rifle today, number one on my list would be the new Savage. Seen lots of them at the range and have never heard any complaints. Savage has done a great job.

My old Ruger still shoots sub MOA after 40 years of hard hunting. Shot maybe 50 deer and more than that of antelope. Also a few Texas hogs. Never had a bad day with it if I do my part. In 2012, I shot a pretty good buck antelope in Wyoming that ranged at 417 before I made a one shot kill. I also shoot nothing but my own handloads (same for all centerfire I shoot).Every one of my rifles has it's own likes and dislikes as far as ammo goes. Powder, bullet, seating depth and primer selection are different for each rifle.
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 08-08-2013 at 08:52 AM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    i have an 84 in 270 wsm. horrible accuracy. sent it back to the factory, they test fired it and returned it with the target. I believe the group was 1 3/4" at 50yds. They said that was within their specs. I finally found a load to get inside 2" at 100. Never been so disgusted with a gun or a gun manufacturer. would have been better off with a $400 savage

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Maybe mine is the oddball then. I love my Kimber, it shoots great.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My most recent rifle is a Savage, the rest are Rem700 and Browning A-bolts. The Rem have trigger replacements and the Brownings have been adjusted as low as possible but are stock. I don't find anything to complain about with the A-bolts but the Savage has the best trigger of the lot. All shoot from 1/4 to 3/4 moa and the reason they do is ammo selection, they all have their favorite load. I like the Browning guns, they just feel right to me.
    Purchasing a new gun I would look at CZ. All the CZ owners I talk to love the way they shoot. I guess I would buy a cheaper gun that shoots well and put a really good scope on it. It would not be a Kimber.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Interesting thread. I have only heard mumblings over accuracy with Kimbers 1911's. I've had very good shooting weatherby vanguards and tikka t3's. Thats disappointing to hear about the kimbers, nice looking rifles.