Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    I hope I never get 17 points anywhere! I have enough trouble letting go of 4 or 5 of them. The exception may be Nevada and sheep/goats/moose in my home state but other then that I look for units I can hunt with 5 points or less. I think if I saved that many points in a state that far away I would put to much pressure on myself once I did draw the tag. Nevada is close enough I can get down there to scout so its the only state I apply for long shots in.
    I wish that were not the case with me but most likely I will get to 17 for elk here in Oregon, most likey Utah and a handful of other states

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deer View Post
    I wish that were not the case with me but most likely I will get to 17 for elk here in Oregon, most likey Utah and a handful of other states
    Thats alot of points in alot of places but eventually you will draw some awesome tags!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Somebody's gotta draw. I get something almost every year now after about 10 years of applying here and there. I didn't read the regs closely in Arizona and accidentally drew a bull tag on my 4th choice crappy hunt and blew almost 10 points. I'm still upset and it's been 2 years now. No ones fault but my own but at least i started applying in my 20's so I've got a chance to enjoy the fruits of my planning/dreaming.
    My .02 - find hunts you can go and do with your points, especially for elk. Crap happens that you can't control so get out and hunt b/c no one tells us when we're going to get sick, injured or too broken down to do it anymore.

Happy new year to everyone and good luck with your applications and hunts in 2014.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskeytango View Post
    Somebody's gotta draw. I get something almost every year now after about 10 years of applying here and there. I didn't read the regs closely in Arizona and accidentally drew a bull tag on my 4th choice crappy hunt and blew almost 10 points. I'm still upset and it's been 2 years now. No ones fault but my own but at least i started applying in my 20's so I've got a chance to enjoy the fruits of my planning/dreaming.
    My .02 - find hunts you can go and do with your points, especially for elk. Crap happens that you can't control so get out and hunt b/c no one tells us when we're going to get sick, injured or too broken down to do it anymore.

Happy new year to everyone and good luck with your applications and hunts in 2014.
    Very true 'somebodys gotta draw' but for some tags the odds just arent there. I have nothing against anyone building 20 plus points, its just not for me so I generally look for hunts I can draw with 3-5 points.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I burned my AZ points last year, keeping my 2 perm points. I don't see them ever getting above 5 from this point on. And 5 will get me in the max pool on a bunch of late Elk hunts.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    QUOTE=jdan9;69344]My son has 17 NR points. He hasn't elk hunted one day in his life. Been busy with college, sports, etc... I have 7, not sure what to do, he can bow hunt 9 solo or we can bow hunt unit 1 together. Tough decision for us. Did I mention I have a lot of money invested in his points!![/QUOTE]
    Man, that's a lot of pressure to put on oneself! No time to hunt elk for 17 years...what is he, an indentured servant? You can't learn how to hunt elk by building a pile of points. At some point, you have to get out and do it. I guess he could go guided and shift some of that pressure onto the guiding service.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    MW,

Indentured servant..funny, I had a hard time getting him to mow the lawn!! He played hockey through HS and college, not a lot of free time in the fall! Now he's in the working world. Over the years he has been on quite a few western deer hunts, those were a little easier to manage when he had a 3-5 day window that he could get away. In addition to his AZ points, he has them in WY, CO and UT. He has no clue what he has! If he desires he'll get plenty of opportunities to learn how to chase elk!
    Last edited by jdan9; 12-30-2013 at 03:07 PM.