Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Just came back from Co on a scouting trip. Everything seemed pretty green to me for this time of year. It rained all 4 days that we were there and it was pretty cool up on the mountain at night. Saw some nice bulls and good elk numbers too.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    It was 48 here this am (6800') and it rained like hell yesterday afternoon with winds like a hurricane! After the clouds left, there was a skiff of snow on the San Juans, which I'm sure will be gone this am as the sun is shining bright. Starting to feel like fall. Going to Lake City next Saturday for a week. Weather says its been in the low 40"s every night. I am planning on doing some hiking up in the mts above timberline, some fishing and have an appiontment with an outfitter for a possible 2014 M/L hunt.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by BossBrott View Post
    From the sounds of it, Co has seen some good rainfall in the high country. I just spent 4 days up in the high country scouting for deer and doing some fishing, it was really lush, a far cry from the valley (the hell hole). The lake is located at 7500', about summit level, and we had rain on 1 evening. I did get into some deer, and with the help of google earth, located a spring in the backcountry with plenty of sign. The high country lakes are still at capacity, and the smell of fall is in the air. Can't wait for the leaves to turn.
    As for the valley of hell and their politics, they can have it, I'm no flatlander. I live in the foothills between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe at 3500", and have the opportunity to wet a line any day of the week. I hear plenty about our water wars, and am terrified as to the repercussions of our elected officials sending our water south to LA to feed the desert.

Here's a pic of the lake I will use as my base camp.
    Nice looking lake. The last 6 years in Ca. I lived in Big Bear. It's 7500ft, and not too bad to live. My problem was I also like to fly fish mountain creeks. They were always dried up there. It was frustrating. One year the lake almost dried up.

We had earthquakes, and fires all the time. I was evacuated for two weeks once. I had enough, and came to Colorado. Best move I ever made in my life. I live at 8000ft now, and i'm 10 min from all the hunting and fishing I need. I should have moved here 50 years ago.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    Nice looking lake. The last 6 years in Ca. I lived in Big Bear. It's 7500ft, and not too bad to live. My problem was I also like to fly fish mountain creeks. They were always dried up there. It was frustrating. One year the lake almost dried up.

We had earthquakes, and fires all the time. I was evacuated for two weeks once. I had enough, and came to Colorado. Best move I ever made in my life. I live at 8000ft now, and i'm 10 min from all the hunting and fishing I need. I should have moved here 50 years ago.
    Before I retired, we considered Big Bear too. Nice country, BUT too close to the metro area of the LA basin and too many people, just to name a few of the bad stuff. No matter how the politics go here in Colorado, still better than So California!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I was out scouting in the northern LaGaritas this weekend; got steady rain starting early Sat afternoon and rained almost 'til dark. When the clouds lifted there was snow above about 12,500'. I was camped at about 11,200 and the truck thermometer said 31 degrees this morning.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Nice August weather.

I hate the heat.