Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Should I have known..Wyoming 2013 Antelope Quotas...reduced when?

Our non-resident party of three are so disappointed we did not get drawn for antelope in WY. Trying to figure out what went wrong so can do better next year....We studied Eastman's info and WY info on points needed, special draw, & made applications on March 11, Area 63....I believe the "tentative" quotas on website then was still 400 for 63-1 and 200 for 63-2. Now, I see that final was changed to 100 for 63-1 and 200 for 63-2.

Did the quota change in the 4 days left in application period, or is final quota changed at some date after application period closed? If the latter, how could we have got a "heads-up" that the tags would be reduced this drastically...I try to read the Eastman's info.

Thanks folks for any help...I want to be sure I take my son antelope hunting in 2014...we had a great hunt in Area 63 in 2011.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The quotas they list are tentative and subject to change. Wardens & biologists have lots of input and are in the field and if they think herd numbers are down, I am sure they get quotas changed...after the application period is over!!

Did you have any points for your party?
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yes, we each had 1PP, we put 63-1, 63-2, 69 as first, second, third choice. Also paid for the "Special" draw. If had reversed the 63-1 and 63-2 choices would have drawn....they really cut the 63-1 tags a bunch. Thought 63-2 was even a shoe-in for 2nd choice. We of course could only base our decisions on past results, but when they cut the tags, it changed everything.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Too bad, I know how disappointed you are !
    Colorado Cowboy
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Bluntly, yes you should have known. Bag limits and season dates are final waaay before the app correction period has ended on June 1.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to WapitiBob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well, explain that to me please. First of all, our application deadline was March 15. We waited until March 11, and only thing we could find on the WY F&G website was a complete listing of hunt areas, quotas, and season dates. It is overstamped at an angle with the red words: "Tentative" . The final quotas, which I see now on the site, are completely different. Did they change on noon the last day, or as "Colorado Cowboy" stated, after the deadline?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    This year you had until June 3rd to modify your application if you applied on line. See below link. You can change your unit choices until that date. They published the finialized quotas before June 3rd. I kept checking until they released the final quotas. This allowed me to switch my first choice from area 106 to something different. They cut the tags in that area as well.

http://gf.state.wy.us/web2011/hunting-1001085.aspx

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PlainsHunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    [QUOTE=PlainsHunter;59455]This year you had until June 3rd to modify your application if you applied on line. See below link. You can change your unit choices until that date. They published the finialized quotas before June 3rd. I kept checking until they released the final quotas. This allowed me to switch my first choice from area 106 to something different. They cut the tags in that area as well.

http://gf.state.wy.us/web2011/hunting-1001085.aspx[/QUOTE

I have been hunting Wyoming since the mid 80's and I did not know this! I guess the reason I never looked into it was because I only wanted to hunt one particular unit. I usually never put a second choice. Learn something new all the time.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I have been hunting Wyoming since the mid 80's and I did not know this! I guess the reason I never looked into it was because I only wanted to hunt one particular unit. I usually never put a second choice. Learn something new all the time.
    Same for me CC. I haven't been hunting there as long as you but like yourself I only put in for one unit.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by PlainsHunter View Post
    This year you had until June 3rd to modify your application if you applied on line. See below link. You can change your unit choices until that date. They published the finialized quotas before June 3rd. I kept checking until they released the final quotas. This allowed me to switch my first choice from area 106 to something different. They cut the tags in that area as well.

http://gf.state.wy.us/web2011/hunting-1001085.aspx
    Well I sure missed that "modify" date . I did not realize that...if we would have looked we would have switched our 1st choice and got drawn. Thanks a lot. Won't make that mistake again!