Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I was a newbie who had already done a ton of research(so I thought), and through out a fishing post early on. Most people on here are more solitary minded, and that doesn't lend itself to a bunch of chatty Kathy about where we hunt. We share methods and gear tips that help all of us save money and time. All that banked time and money can be turned into your own field time. That makes a successful hunt even that much more rewarding.

I thought I had done a lot of research, but I soon found out how much more information there was that I could get on my own. Spend hours on this forum, along with a map, and you will likely pick out the clues that you are looking for. Nothing gets you credibility better than some scouting picks that shows you are in the fight for real.

I don't even tell my friends where I hunt anymore. I might give up the unit, but that is where it stops. Watching how guys like Bitterroot Bulls conduct themselves on this forum has taught me that some info a guy just needs to get on their own.

Now get after it, and good luck!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tttoadman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If you have picked out a unit, dissected it to the point you have a few areas, its real easy to simply ask if you can run those areas past guys who hunt that unit. Chances are you'll find out if you're on the right track and often they'll thro in a cpl spots.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Some great info here from some of us old guys....
    Wonder if the OP is even following along at this point and doesn't it irk you to no end when somebody starts blasting out info on an area that you've busted your butt to learn over the years?
    Some great guys on here, I admit to some begging at one time or another myself...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I too am new to posting on this forum, but I have been reading and gaining knowledge religiously here for months. I'm from southeast Texas and am about as far from mountains, mule deer, and elk as you can get but have a burning desire to hunt them. I got bit by the mule deer bug last winter when I went mule deer hunting with an outfitter and was fortunate enough to take a very respectable first mule deer. I've hunted whitetail here in Texas for years, but that's grown old and I'm wanting to start doing DIY hunts in the west but was overwhelmed by the daunting task of narrowing down an area to even start looking at. This post alone has taught me a ton. Thank you WapitiBob for the link to your post on the other site. It will be a wealth of knowledge for me and a lot of help to learn how to internet scout areas that are too far for me to even consider a scouting trip to before I get there on my actual hunt. It doesn't get said enough, but thank you guys for sharing the info you do, even if it gets read and used by guys that probably don't deserve it like me that don't have a whole lot to share or contribute. I'm going on my first DIY hunt this year, probably in southeast Montana, and look forward to sharing anything I pick up that y'all could possibly gain from. Take care and good luck out there!

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    It's the new generation. They want it quick and easy, and they want it now! What did we do before the internet? Oh yeah, I remember. We worked hard, and did it ourselves. It still works.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That was a great read as well as some of the best pointers I have gotten on how to mix old school boot leather scouting with todays high tech tools. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
    A few years ago I posted up a blog on another site and outlined from start to finish how I go thru the process of data gathering, Internet scouting, and went thru the hunt. I already had the unit but if you read that blog it will show you one way to drill down areas in an unknown state.
    As far as finding a unit, draw and harvest stats will be a benefit as well as the different game bios.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforu...l#.UgrQJKa9LCQ

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Unfortunately some of us "older generation" worked really hard for our spots, and after letting a spot or two slip, saw the demise of those areas.
    Ain't that the truth! I made that mistake last year.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 3 Posts
    I've noticed ppl aren't as tight-lipped about units they may only be able to draw once in their hunting lifetime.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Tag stew View Post
    That was a great read as well as some of the best pointers I have gotten on how to mix old school boot leather scouting with todays high tech tools. Thank you.
    your welcome.
    Hopefully it helps.