Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Advice on DIY hunt

Hi all me and my brothers are planing an elk/mule deer DIY backpack hunt in Montana. We're new to Montana and wondering if y'all had any advice on areas to look into or just point us into the right direction. Thanks for your time.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Right direction............................N of Wyoming, E of Idaho, W of North Dakota. That is where you will find Montana.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Are you planning on Archery or Rifle?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    thanks for the imput tdub and were planning a rifle hunt. not looking for a trophy just a good time and meat for the freezer

Thanks
    Congratulations
    LOL, on a serious note, the best way to find a place to hunt is study some maps and pick an area with alot of public land and start hoofing it. Basically just pick a mountain and start walking. I was able to do this in Idaho in 2008, came home with a 6 point bull. Didn't have a clue what I was doing, but found elk just the same.

Not too many folks on this forum are going to just come out and tell first time posters where to go and hunt without seeing them contribute to other threads. It gives the impression that you signed up to the thread just for a handout, IMO.

Best of luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    isnt that the reason you post on here to get information from a more knowledgeable and a older generation. you know i try to do things the right way and ask and learn and recieve info how to get started because im new to this type of hunting and i want to start off on the right foot so i want to learn a thing or two from the people that know best but Its no wonder my generation gives hunters such a bad name and doesnt know anything about hunting because people like you will let the awesome herritage die with them because they could came less about passing on information because they are so worried some else my kill an animal. so if you dont have anything helpful or informationable why post at all?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh7277 View Post
    isnt that the reason you post on here to get information from a more knowledgeable and a older generation. you know i try to do things the right way and ask and learn and recieve info how to get started because im new to this type of hunting and i want to start off on the right foot so i want to learn a thing or two from the people that know best but Its no wonder my generation gives hunters such a bad name and doesnt know anything about hunting because people like you will let the awesome herritage die with them because they could came less about passing on information because they are so worried some else my kill an animal. so if you dont have anything helpful or informationable why post at all?
    Might want to change your tone, partner.

I love giving advice to new hunters. That sometimes includes general areas to hunt. Unfortunately some of us "older generation" worked really hard for our spots, and after letting a spot or two slip, saw the demise of those areas. It isn't personal.

Take a look around there is a bunch of good info for a new deer hunter in MT. I might help you out myself if you stick around and join the group, and let us get to know you.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bitterroot Bulls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Unfortunately some of us "older generation" worked really hard for our spots, and after letting a spot or two slip, saw the demise of those areas.
    Ain't that the truth! I made that mistake last year.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh7277 View Post
    What more needs to be said Josh, these "older generation" men gave you tons on insight. Hell, they gave me tons of insight and I have been Western hunting since I can remember. I am on this forum daily (unless out hunting) and yet I don't contribute too much cause these nuts on here have far more knowledge than I. I just read and learn, just like NDHunter mentioned.

When I decided that I needed to elk hunt, I bought an over the counter tag in unit 39 of Idaho. Didn't know jack squat about the area, just knew it was only about 5 hours from home. I researched google earth all most religiously, looking for every nook and cranny I feel elk could hide. I made 4 or 5 trips throughout the season scouting, walking up this mountain and down that. In all those trips, I only saw 1 elk, and it was a cow at that. I never dawned on me that 4000 folks, probably most from Boise, would be hunting this unit at the same time. But, I knew folks are lazy, if the animal wasn't next to the road, they would most likely eat there tag.

Opening morning, I was running late getting to the top of the mountain. On the way up, every pull off spot had a vehicle with folks peering out. Hell, I even saw a Ford Tempo car half way up the mountain. Not really sure how that car made it that far. Anyways, thought to myself, no way am I going to be able to find elk amongst this many people. When I got to the top and to the trail head, there was all ready 6 vehicles parked. I told Pop to drop me off anyways and I would walk all the way back to camp (7.6 miles). My buddy and I started walking, seeing folks glassing every 150 yards or so. But, after about 1.5 miles, the people stopped. No more than another quarter of a mile, elk were out and about feeding.

I knew from research (google earth, summer trips, talking with locals) that the elk are there, just needed to get away from the pumpkin party.

Moral of story.....................research, research, research!!!!!

Once again, I wish you the best of luck!!
    Last edited by tdub24; 08-14-2013 at 09:01 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I was a newbie who had already done a ton of research(so I thought), and through out a fishing post early on. Most people on here are more solitary minded, and that doesn't lend itself to a bunch of chatty Kathy about where we hunt. We share methods and gear tips that help all of us save money and time. All that banked time and money can be turned into your own field time. That makes a successful hunt even that much more rewarding.

I thought I had done a lot of research, but I soon found out how much more information there was that I could get on my own. Spend hours on this forum, along with a map, and you will likely pick out the clues that you are looking for. Nothing gets you credibility better than some scouting picks that shows you are in the fight for real.

I don't even tell my friends where I hunt anymore. I might give up the unit, but that is where it stops. Watching how guys like Bitterroot Bulls conduct themselves on this forum has taught me that some info a guy just needs to get on their own.

Now get after it, and good luck!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to tttoadman For This Useful Post: