Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 2 Posts

Cattle and elk movement...

I few weeks ago I started scouting and saw alot of bulls and cows, i went back up this weekend and didnt see a thing but saw alot of cattle where the elk were. When the ranchers move the cattle to an area do the elk move out?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 3 Posts
    The areas I have always hunted have Cattle in them every so often when I am hunting. It may shuffle the elk around a little but have found that they dont move far and most of the time they dont move at all.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 25contender For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    In my experience the cattle will more often than not move the elk out of an area. Especially when the cattle are using the same water, elk often will look for an alternate water source. If water in limited then the elk will stick around a little closer. Good thing is though, when the ranchers gather in late Sept. then the elk will usually move right back in. I would suggest putting up some trail cameras to verify whether or not the elk are gone. Good luck.
    JJenness
    G
    &T Crazy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jjenness For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Just like the other posts, in my experiences the elk don't fully move out but they definitely get away from the cattle. Same goes for sheep, we had a bull closing in on us last year during archery. 150 yards...........100..........80.........73........ ..then we hear baaaa baaaaaa. All the elk stop and stare in the direction. Soon as the sheep crested the ridge the elk took off at full speed, down the canyon and out of our lives. Very disappointing but that is what happens when you hunt public land.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tdub24 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for all the info, ive never really hunted elk where cattle are, it was just very strange that there were elk all over and now nothing. The only thing I could think of was there were no cattle before and alot this time.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by kiddwinner View Post
    Thanks for all the info, ive never really hunted elk where cattle are, it was just very strange that there were elk all over and now nothing. The only thing I could think of was there were no cattle before and alot this time.
    Kidd, where I hunt...when the ranchers on horseback move the cattle, they move the elk out of the area as well. They do come back, sometimes it takes quite a few days, sometimes overnight. Do you have any of our "Fuzzy little Friends" (Wolves) in your elk area? That'll sure do it! Also, what's the water situation like there? It's been hot all over the state as you know. Stock ponds & creeks are drying up.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    Kidd, where I hunt...when the ranchers on horseback move the cattle, they move the elk out of the area as well. They do come back, sometimes it takes quite a few days, sometimes overnight. Do you have any of our "Fuzzy little Friends" (Wolves) in your elk area? That'll sure do it! Also, what's the water situation like there? It's been hot all over the state as you know. Stock ponds & creeks are drying up.
    Im hunting the Big Horns Specifically to avoid the 100's of wolves and bears...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well sheep come with dogs, then men. Elk are not stupid. Cattle...well they free graze all over here in Idaho. Your camp is more in danger than your elk. Wall tents and cows dont mix well. However that said, I have never seen elk leave because of cows.
    I hunt because......

12. The Following User Says Thank You to wolftalonID For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Had this same convo on another forum recently mostly about sheep. We ran sheep for many years in the mountains, and no doubt sheep n cattle and all that come with them, dogs, hearders, horses, we ran deer off. But they ALMOST always come back, we kept the sheep moving, and several years we went back in the fall and harvested those same bucks in the same areas or nearby. If you can find and talk to the herders/wranglers talk to them and ask them about the animals they have seen and you will be surprised the amount of info they will give you. They come across stuff you may not have seen, game trails, springs, bedding areas.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Also must add, we did not run sheep where there are elk only deer(out here in N.Cal) so maybe my whole post was moot?!?