Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

Wyoming Quadruple Header Hunt 2015/2016

What's up Guys and Gals. I'm trying to position myself in a few years to do something that will be extremely challenging, fun and just overall exciting. I want to plan a hunt in Southwest Wyoming for Moose (Area 26), Elk (Gen Tag 102-104), Deer (Reg G 135) and Antelope (93) all hunting from the same camp. Based on the points I have I should be able to draw the Moose Tag in 2015 and the Gen Elk I should be able to draw with 0 points on the special Tag. The Deer I should be able to draw with 2-3 points on the Special if need be and the Antelope with 3 on the special tag. (All this info is based on 2013 draw statistics) It will cost a lot of money that year but I think it would be an outstanding opportunity, maybe even once in a lifetime. I would definitely need the use of horses to help pack meat. I have some buddies that have somewhat committed to coming to hunt and help but I'm thinking if they backed out or couldn't come for some reason it would be too much for a single DIYer to accomplish. Anyone want to come share a camp?

I would plan on being there from the end of September until the End of October.

What do you guys think? Is it too much of a challenge? Would I be better off using an outfitter? What would you do to accomplish this?

Thanks in Advance for any help and advice.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think your plan sounds amazing, just make sure you can take care of the meat. I would love to take off a month to hunt. I hunt antelope, deer and elk every year but only weekends and one week off.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Pretty ambitious, but if the meat can be taken to a processor for freezing/storage and you have the time/money to do it I'd say go for it. The only problem is that it will probably be tough to devote enough time to each animal to put a tag on a real good one of each species. If it were me, I'd probably try to do it in consecutive years and do a combo moose/elk one year and a deer/antelope combo the next. Getting horses and/or and outfitter for that length of time will be very spendy if you can even find one that would do it, but you have a long time to get your planning done and then pray you get all the tags you want the way the draws can go from year to year. I'm heading out next week on a three month trip in five states (NV, OR, WY, NM, and ND) for sheep, elk, deer, antelope, and pheasants, so your one month trip in one area is certainly able to be done if you get the tags you need. Good luck!!! PS: I'm retired and have a great wife, LOL!
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 08-14-2013 at 01:14 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    sent you a pm with some information. Like everyone else said you will want to find a place to store the meat. I would love to be able to do that.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for all the thoughts guys. Taking care of the meat will defiantly be a major priority, I know there's a Cold Storage up in Thanyne which would be a little drive. There used to be a older guy in Afton who had a meat cutting business but I think he's gone now.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Why not buy a point for elk and save about $400 on a special tag. Have you hunted any of those areas before? How many moose points do you have?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    NorCalHunter I have 11 points for Moose. I have hunted this area before just not a lot.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Your hunt could definitely be done but I think it would be a LOT to pull off. More isn't always better. I also think it might be tough to stay motivated. One of the biggest considerations is what your family life is like at home. Obviously I don't know your situation but if you have a wife and kids, after 3 weeks of hunting, will you still be gung-ho about staying away from them for another week? I've realized that for me, their is a huge difference between hunting everyday around home and still being home every night, versus being away from home and hunting for 2 weeks. It's hard not to start missing home and family after a while.

My other thing to think about is if you will still be motivated at the end to finish your hunts? After hitting it hard for 2-3 weeks, will you still be able to give 100% to the species you are after and not get a "I'm going to shoot the first thing I see and get the hell out of here" attitude?

Also, you mention your buddies being "somewhat commited," will they be there the entire month too? Will they also be hunting? Unless some of them will be driving up seperately, I think it would be tough to get guy's that would be able to commit to hunting for a couple weeks.

A lot depends on your personal situation and maybe you've thought about all this already or maybe none of this stuff will be an issue for you. These are just some of the things that I would consider.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Moose is typically an easy hunt, except if you kill the bull to far from the road. My two Shiras hunts lasted 45 minutes (Wyoming) and 3 days (Utah). Antelope can typically be done in 3 full days or less. For mule deer I usually budget 6 full hunting days. Elk will likely be the most challenging in a general area I would want to have 7 to 10 days to hunt elk. I usually like a couple days rest for every 5-6 days of hunting to recuperate.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    personally I would not want to put that many hunts together at 1 time especially tags that you need several points to draw. OTC tags if I had the money to burn I may look at a bit differently. That many tags would put alot of mental pressure on a person and if you do anything tomuch you will get burned out on it.