Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 2 Posts

K-22 Masterpiece

I almost forgot, my folks bought me a K-22 Masterpiece from this old timer in Pahrump for my birthday coming up on 24th. Being that I will most likely be out deer hunting (if I don't get one tomorrow or Friday) they gave it to me last night. Man............what a sweet looking 22!!!! I been wanting to get a 22 revolver and now I have it. Can hardly wait to get some rounds through it. Trying to research the serial number is like pulling teeth, oh well, not like I am interested in selling it. Just a really cool revolver!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You can get some help on the manufacture date on the Smith & Wesson Forum.
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Been doing that, seems everybody is an expert and there are multiple different conclusions. Pretty sure the revolver is 1947, but nothing so far confirms that. Thanks though.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Your gun is a K22 Target Masterpiece by Smith & Wesson. There were several options eg. wide hammer, wide trigger. They also made a K38 (which I shoot in a Bullseye Target league). They are very collectable. Did it come with the original factory box?

If it has a round butt, it is what I described, square butt is a Combat Masterpiece.

The round butt are divided into 3 configurations: K22 Outdoorsman, ser# in the 600,000 range mfg 1931-1940; Pre-War K22, ser# range 682,420-696,952; Post-War K22, ser# all started with the letter K , 1946-1957.
    Values range from: Outdoorsman: $200 to $2000; Pre-War:$350 to $4650.00; Post_war: $150 to $775. Totally dependent upon condition of gun.

Take care of it as it is a shooter and definately a classic.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I was hoping you would chime in CC, I know you have vast knowledge. Well at least compared to me. Anyways, yes it came with the golden box. Pretty sure it has the square butt, but will have to look when I get home. If I remember right, I believe the serial number was K 14****. Pretty sure anyways. I will post some pictures on Saturday. Today, I'm heading to my hunting unit after work to try and stick an arrow in a deer.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You got a good one!
    Colorado Cowboy
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Your gun is a K22 Target Masterpiece by Smith & Wesson. There were several options eg. wide hammer, wide trigger. They also made a K38 (which I shoot in a Bullseye Target league). They are very collectable. Did it come with the original factory box?

If it has a round butt, it is what I described, square butt is a Combat Masterpiece.

The round butt are divided into 3 configurations: K22 Outdoorsman, ser# in the 600,000 range mfg 1931-1940; Pre-War K22, ser# range 682,420-696,952; Post-War K22, ser# all started with the letter K , 1946-1957.
    Values range from: Outdoorsman: $200 to $2000; Pre-War:$350 to $4650.00; Post_war: $150 to $775. Totally dependent upon condition of gun.

Take care of it as it is a shooter and definately a classic.
    Thanks Cowboy! I'm going to check the serial # on mine!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    When I was real young, probably about 17 and working in my Dad's gun shop, a guy brought in a K22 and wanted to trade it for something else. We worked the trade and I told my Dad I wanted the K22. If I remember right, after all was said and done, we had maybe 25.00 in the gun. Because I wasn't old enough to buy it, Dad put it in his safe and when I turned 18, I bought it. I kept it for a few years and when Ruger brought out their Single Six convertible (.22 with extra .22 mag cyl), I sold the K22 and bought the Ruger, which I still have. It took me many years before i realized what I had traded off was a classic. Not the last time I did that kinda thing. I got into hot rods about that time too.......you get the picture!!!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Bought my first K22 when I was 15. Over the counter, got the money picking radishes. My driver training teacher was the football coach and found out I had it, said to bring it to class the next day.
    So while my driving partner and I drove around in circles in the high school parking lot he shot at gophers on the football field. Then he bitched me out later for only bringing 1 box of shells.
    My safe currently holds several model 17's, love every one of 'em.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Here are the pictures of the revolver and the box it came with. I was wrong on the serial #, it starts with K 15***. Shot it the first time at camp, pretty awesome. Should kill quite a few ground squirrels for me next spring.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20130816-00422.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	6282
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20130816-00424.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	6283