Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day Pack

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Day Pack

I am looking to buy a day pack for an elk hunt next fall (2014). I will be hiring an outfitter and will use the pack mainly for extra clothes, water, food etc. I am thinking something in the 1800-2200 cubic inch range. This will be my first outfitted hunt. The Eberlestock x1 or x2 looks good. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    My advice would either be the Tenzing TZ 2220,either the Eberlestock x1 or x2. both seem like really well thought out packs, I personally use the TZ 2220 and i really love it, I like the stiff back because it functions as a really awesome gun rest on the feild.
    2010 Mathews Reezen 7.0 70# draw
    G5 optik sight
    Tru Fire Hardcore
    Carbon Express Maxima Hunters

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by MT dreaming View Post
    The Eberlestock x1 or x2 looks good. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    I have the X-1 and really like it, comfortable and can carry quite a load if required.

Bob

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm a fan of the x1 also. I was in the archery shop here yeterday and picked up an Easton pack. Think it was the full bore. Super light. Simple pack. Internal frame. Had batwing style compression with a meat sling. Seemed like a great day pack with meat possibilities. Might be worth a look or maybe someone here has some opinions on it

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Do you plan to use the scabbard? That would make a big difference on what I'd pick.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have deer hunted in the South for many years but this will be my first big game trip. Much of my deer hunting gear is not suitable for an elk hunt so I am in the process of "gearing up". It seems that most outfitters offer saddle scabbards but the option of a built in scabbard for hands free use is appealing. Thanks for the advice. I am sure that I will have many more questions.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The Eberlestock J34 is my favorite pack but if you are going with a guide and horses though you probably don't need a pack that heavy. My second favorite Eberlestock is the X3 because I like the upward compression straps better than the ones on the X1. I wish they made it with a narrow scabbard in the quieter camo instead of nylon material. The current version has the wide scabbard, great for my AR when calling coyotes but real roomy for a standard bolt gun.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Some great daypacks list already. These days, a guy can get a really good daypack for under 5lbs without sacrificing quality & durability. Here is a list of some others including specs.

Eberlestock X2 pack - 1800 cu in 4.5 lbs - one size fits all - super tough frame capable of hauling heavy loads, very modular
    Badlands Diablo pack - 1900 cu in 3.1 lbs - one size fits all - awesome breathable suspension, very lightweight but comfortable
    Badlands 2200 pack - 2250 cu in 5.25 lbs - one size fits all - great pack capable of hauling heavy loads, better for longer torsos
    Easton Pickup Pack - 3000 cu in 4.6 lbs - Adj harness, lightweight and great capacity but still feels like a day pack. has a great hauling capability but is brand new for this year so it hasnt been in the field long.
    Sitka Flash 20 pack - 2000 cu in 4.55 lbs - one size fits all - super technical pack, all the bells and whistles, very comfortable.
    Tenzing TZ 2220 pack - 2228 cu in 4lbs - one size fits all - good durable pack, simple design

Hope this helps!
    LINTON OUTDOORS
    Serious Gear for the Serious Sportsman
    www.lintonoutdoors.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I like the eberlestock dragonfly for a daypack/meat hauler and it seem to be pretty decent up to about 75lbs. Also x2 for the Easton pickup but it seems to get a little sloppy as you add more weight and it seems to be difficult to tighten the load down.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you plan on doing other western hunts another vote here for the Eberlestock J34 A little heavier but it has tons of room with the Scabbard built in. It compresses nicely and can be expanded at later date if you decide to go on a multiday hunt. I will be using my J34 this year for multiday hunts doubling as a day pack once camp is established.