Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 59
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Andover, Minnesota
    Posts
    228
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 37 Times in 29 Posts
    Congratulations
    5
    Congratulated 4 Times in 1 Post
    If I was in your shoes, this is what I would do.

    1. Tikka T3 Stainless ($699 / 6lb 3oz) (Caliber is up to you, I like a 300 WSM)
    2. Bell & Carlson Medalist stock (w/aluminum bedding block) ($260 / +3oz approximately)
    3. Talley Lightweight 1 piece mounts ($45 / 2oz)
    4. Leupold Ultralight 3-9x33mm w/CDS dials ($500 maybe less if you can find a deal/ 9.8oz)

    Re: the stock change. The factory stock from Tikka is super cheap feeling and doesn't handle recoil well. The felt recoil dropped dramatically when I changed the stock out, and it handled significantly better.

    All together you will have a rifle that will shoot sub-moa / weather proof / great adjustable trigger / good glass / lightweight 7 lb 2oz w/optics / all for $1500 MSRP. Use the extra money in your budget for some top quality boots and pack, IMO these will get you farther back into the back country than a light rifle.

    BTW: I did do this, I just wish they had made CDS dials when I got mine.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tikka T3 (BC Stock 2)(U).jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	6275Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tikka T3 (BC Stock 3)(U).jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	6276Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tikka T3 (BC Stock)(U).jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	6277

    Links:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/110...a-t3-synthetic

    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/390...a-matte-medium
    Last edited by mnhunter; 08-15-2013 at 10:17 AM.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Kingwood, TX
    Posts
    1,740
    Thanks
    80
    Thanked 233 Times in 176 Posts
    Congratulations
    45
    Congratulated 30 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ltsheets View Post
    What kind of budget would I need for a semi-custom ultralight?
    Depends on desired weight..the lighter you go the more expensive it gets. You also don't shoot them from a leadsled.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    132
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Great advice mnhunter. That looks like an easy way to save 1500 or more on a gun.

    Quote Originally Posted by mnhunter View Post
    If I was in your shoes, this is what I would do.

    1. Tikka T3 Stainless ($699 / 6lb 3oz) (Caliber is up to you, I like a 300 WSM)
    2. Bell & Carlson Medalist stock (w/aluminum bedding block) ($260 / +3oz approximately)
    3. Talley Lightweight 1 piece mounts ($45 / 2oz)
    4. Leupold Ultralight 3-9x33mm w/CDS dials ($500 maybe less if you can find a deal/ 9.8oz)

    Re: the stock change. The factory stock from Tikka is super cheap feeling and doesn't handle recoil well. The felt recoil dropped dramatically when I changed the stock out, and it handled significantly better.

    All together you will have a rifle that will shoot sub-moa / weather proof / great adjustable trigger / good glass / lightweight 7 lb 2oz w/optics / all for $1500 MSRP. Use the extra money in your budget for some top quality boots and pack, IMO these will get you farther back into the back country than a light rifle.

    BTW: I did do this, I just wish they had made CDS dials when I got mine.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tikka T3 (BC Stock 2)(U).jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	6275Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tikka T3 (BC Stock 3)(U).jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	6276Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tikka T3 (BC Stock)(U).jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	6277

    Links:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/110...a-t3-synthetic

    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/390...a-matte-medium

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    132
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by packmule View Post
    Depends on desired weight..the lighter you go the more expensive it gets. You also don't shoot them from a leadsled.
    True that. I feel like I can handle recoil from a light rifle. Can't kick as bad as my Thompson turkey gun!

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    541
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 69 Times in 59 Posts
    Congratulations
    135
    Congratulated 9 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by packmule View Post
    Depends on desired weight..the lighter you go the more expensive it gets. You also don't shoot them from a leadsled.
    I agree but its much easier to add weight to a rifle (bi-pod, stock ammo holder, etc) than trying to take it off.

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    541
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 69 Times in 59 Posts
    Congratulations
    135
    Congratulated 9 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ltsheets View Post
    True that. I feel like I can handle recoil from a light rifle. Can't kick as bad as my Thompson turkey gun!
    Nothing worse than a magnum 12guage turkey load IMO. I can shoot my .338WM about 12 times in a session before I give up. I bought some supercharged 3" #4's to try one year. Still have the box, minus one shell.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    north idaho
    Posts
    327
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 40 Times in 28 Posts
    Congratulations
    18
    Congratulated 32 Times in 4 Posts
    ruger m77 allweather is a good mountain gun.

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    132
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buckbull View Post
    Nothing worse than a magnum 12guage turkey load IMO. I can shoot my .338WM about 12 times in a session before I give up. I bought some supercharged 3" #4's to try one year. Still have the box, minus one shell.
    Haha my turkey gun is the only gun where I "scoped" myself with my thumb that was holding the stock, and that wasn't the first shot so I knew the recoil was stout. Certainly makes most rifles not seem bad anymore haha.

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    132
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    ruger m77 allweather is a good mountain gun.
    How do these guns shoot? I've had 2 ruger m77 mark 2s and neither was sub MOA.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Dolores, Colorado
    Posts
    2,641
    Thanks
    187
    Thanked 448 Times in 335 Posts
    Congratulations
    23
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    I have a custom .300 Wby that weighs in at around 8# with a sling and full of ammo. I also have a muzzle break to cut the recoil down while I'm at the range. I can be screwed off if you want to while your in the field. I don't use it for deer, thats for my M77 Ruger 25-06. Muzzle breaks make a lot of sense for light guns in big calibers. You should consider using your M70 in 270....great for deer and with the right bullet will do just fine on elk too. great piece to start with. Comp stock will help immensely.

    My Ruger is a tang safety, 1975 vintage and shoots sub moa out to 500 yds.

    My turkey gun (a Browning BPS) is 10 ga and its does belt you around.!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Early rifle mule deer hunt
    By eye in sky in forum Colorado
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-25-2014, 06:37 PM
  2. Thinking about doing a OTC Colorado Rifle Elk Hunt.
    By Shawn032 in forum General Hunting
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-16-2014, 11:46 PM
  3. Late plains rifle hunt colorado
    By Muley bound in forum Mule Deer
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-03-2013, 04:09 PM
  4. Charles Russell Mulies, or Little Belts Combo hunt. MT
    By Multi-SpeciesHunter in forum Mule Deer
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-05-2012, 09:24 PM
  5. 2009 Rifle Hunt - California
    By twp1224 in forum Wildlife and Landscapes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-18-2011, 02:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •