Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wyoming moose planning advice

Hi, everyone, I'm the new guy. I usually hang out on another hunting forum (one with a name that suggests that Ifish), but this seems like a question better suited to ask here. My wife and I are talking about buying some preference points (probably for her), and trying a Wyoming moose hunt in a few years, maybe 2016. Since bull licenses are probably out of reach for decades, we're talking about trying a cow license. I'm not looking for specific areas at this point, just a general sense of whether it's worth pulling out the credit card and getting on the preference point treadmill this year.

1. How do you see the future of moose hunting for the next 3-4 years? I'm hearing some gloomy reports, and I would like some reassurance that there will be cow licenses (and actual cow moose) available when we would hunt.

2. How would you rate the physical difficulty of a cow moose hunt? My wife is not a road hunter, but she also doesn't do the steep and deep.

Thanks for any help.

QQ

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    A cow hunt in the BigHorn Mountains would be where you would want to go, as there are few, if any, wolves and no grizzly bears either, so the population is very good, especially up in the northwestern part around the Burgess Junction area.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 54 Times in 8 Posts
    Welcome to the forum Quinton.

Your wife would not have ANY problem on a cow moose hunt in several units in Wyoming. On my last Wyoming deer hunt (2011) we saw several moose from the truck. No wolves or grizzlies in the area either. If you want some unit suggestions, feel free to PM me. Topgun's suggestions are very good as well.

Nice to see another Oregonian on here.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    After looking at the draw odds and units on the wy website I bought a point last year and drew a cow moose tag this year. I guess there are not to many non residents willing to pay $1500 to get a cow moose tag.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuckyhunter View Post
    After looking at the draw odds and units on the wy website I bought a point last year and drew a cow moose tag this year. I guess there are not to many non residents willing to pay $1500 to get a cow moose tag.
    You drew with ONE point? I couldn't do that with 8.......What area did you draw?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    He could have drawn in one of three units. 024-4 had 1 applicant with 1PP for 1 available tag; 034-4 had 1 applicant with 0 PPs for 4 available tags; 038-4 had 3 applicants with 0 PPs for 2 available tags

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    He could have drawn in one of three units. 024-4 had 1 applicant with 1PP for 1 available tag; 034-4 had 1 applicant with 0 PPs for 4 available tags; 038-4 had 3 applicants with 0 PPs for 2 available tags
    Oh yeah, that's right. I'm a resident.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    OK, back with another question for everyone. Payday was a couple of days ago and money was easy, so I went ahead and picked up a moose point for my wife. I also bought a deer point for myself. Sort of thinking we might combine the cow moose hunt for my wife with a deer hunt for my daughter and me. The moose would be the priority, and the deer would be an opportunistic/non-trophy type of hunt along with the moose. Anyone have any thoughts on logistics or how realistic this type of combination hunt would be? Thanks.

QQ

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    Sounds realistic if you can draw the moose tag since you can draw region R or F deer with 1 or 0 points. I have never hunted the Bighorns but I know in many places in Idaho its easier to find moose then deer.