Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    200
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

    You Mite Be A Elk Nut If......

    Last nite 2:00 am we were hit with a straight down pour followed by brain rattling thunder and lightning. I woke up shortly after it moved in and found myself curled up in a ball with the covers pulled tight over my head when I finally came to myself. I realized I was in bed in my house instead of in a tent on the side of a mountain doing everything I could to keep the rain off of me!! I soon realized I AM an elk nut!! Are there others with this affliction? Are there other stories like this?? If so lets hear them..

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to dying to kill For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    659
    Thanks
    141
    Thanked 76 Times in 60 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I once went scouting with my nephew. We were on a bluff that overlooked Mount Rainer. Believe it or not rain came in...lol seriously though, massive storm. We had a fire going to heat up dinner before it hit us. We were young, and didnt understand how flat shale rock did NOT make a good fire pit. However that lack of education was soon remedied. The rocks started blowing up. A hole through my canteen sent me diving behind a log. Thought we were taking rounds from some yahoo. We both faceplanted then noticed the explosions came from our fire. We tossed sand all over it all from behind our safety log till it was out. Then we noticed the fire fallout had landed several coin size molten hot pieces on our tents rain fly. I had one of those really awesome two person tents that look like a missile when the fly is on. Bucket bottom, mesh top. It was awesome. We quickly dug into our gear and came up with a bottle of seam seal and bandaids! YES we had patches!!!! We put them on as the skies opened up, and into the tent we went.

    We should have had some better sense, but why not pitch a tent on an open bluff on the highest peak right?!!! That lightning hit so hard we screamed from deaf ears and nearly went blind with closed eyes. The air smelled of fried ozone and the rain tried to wash the nylon stain of a tent off mother natures face.

    I knew my bag was waterproof, but for safety measures, I slept with the zipper up. Then at first light I moved. Splash, swoosh. Hmmm
    my feet felt light and floaty! I looked up and noticed I was nearly floating in the water that bucket bottom tent had held so well.

    I quickly noticed my feet were dry!!! Wow! I told my nephew...my bag really held up, even though our patch didnt do so well!!!
    he replied VERY grumpily...."I dont ******** care!!!" I rolled over and noticed....he had not slept zipper up!
    our trip ended that morning as we drug our soggy gear back down the hill.

    I still love hunting, and never fear what mother nature throws our way!
    I hunt because......
    Check out my shops website!!! www.blackvelvetcustoms.com

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    388
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 31 Times in 29 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftalonID View Post
    I once went scouting with my nephew. We were on a bluff that overlooked Mount Rainer. Believe it or not rain came in...lol seriously though, massive storm. We had a fire going to heat up dinner before it hit us. We were young, and didnt understand how flat shale rock did NOT make a good fire pit. However that lack of education was soon remedied. The rocks started blowing up. A hole through my canteen sent me diving behind a log. Thought we were taking rounds from some yahoo. We both faceplanted then noticed the explosions came from our fire. We tossed sand all over it all from behind our safety log till it was out. Then we noticed the fire fallout had landed several coin size molten hot pieces on our tents rain fly. I had one of those really awesome two person tents that look like a missile when the fly is on. Bucket bottom, mesh top. It was awesome. We quickly dug into our gear and came up with a bottle of seam seal and bandaids! YES we had patches!!!! We put them on as the skies opened up, and into the tent we went.

    We should have had some better sense, but why not pitch a tent on an open bluff on the highest peak right?!!! That lightning hit so hard we screamed from deaf ears and nearly went blind with closed eyes. The air smelled of fried ozone and the rain tried to wash the nylon stain of a tent off mother natures face.

    I knew my bag was waterproof, but for safety measures, I slept with the zipper up. Then at first light I moved. Splash, swoosh. Hmmm
    my feet felt light and floaty! I looked up and noticed I was nearly floating in the water that bucket bottom tent had held so well.

    I quickly noticed my feet were dry!!! Wow! I told my nephew...my bag really held up, even though our patch didnt do so well!!!
    he replied VERY grumpily...."I dont ******** care!!!" I rolled over and noticed....he had not slept zipper up!
    our trip ended that morning as we drug our soggy gear back down the hill.

    I still love hunting, and never fear what mother nature throws our way!
    You cant make #%$^&*& up!! Thanks for sharing. Next time I think I am in some crumby conditions, I will think of you guys and suck it up.

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lewistown, MT
    Posts
    273
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 71 Times in 44 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If.....your cologne of choice becomes cow estrus urine, you rub your camo in elk shit every time you see a fresh pile, you don't brush your teeth because you don't want the elk to smell the minty freshness, and your diet consists of freeze dried meals and jerky. Yep sounds like heaven to me!
    JJenness
    G
    &T Crazy

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Tijeras, NM
    Posts
    143
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    my first encounter with an elk was a big 6x6 screaming in my face at 20 yards with no shot available. it shook me up a little but I was hooked. then I discovered ElkNut and ordered the PlayBook and immersed myself into the PlayBook. I've been an Elknut ever since.
    I Love the smell of Elk in the mornin
    The arrow is everything

  7. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Buena Vista, Co.
    Posts
    1,137
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 51 Times in 37 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Does scouting over 200 days a year just to be in elk country count?

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Umpqua River, Oregon
    Posts
    2,193
    Thanks
    328
    Thanked 446 Times in 277 Posts
    Congratulations
    10
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    What if you buy property and build a house and you and your family have killed 4 elk within site of the house (including a P&Y bull)
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

  9. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Buena Vista, Co.
    Posts
    1,137
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 51 Times in 37 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Too easy.........

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    659
    Thanks
    141
    Thanked 76 Times in 60 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tttoadman View Post
    You cant make #%$^&*& up!! Thanks for sharing. Next time I think I am in some crumby conditions, I will think of you guys and suck it up.
    Im not making anything up! Lol. I said scouting not hunting...it was before my hunting days began, he and I liked to photograph nature in the wild so we did a lot of scouting. That being said, it happened in Washington, as described, albeit it was 19 years ago, so some embellishments may have begun to grow in my mind....( side effects of high altitude hypoxia and excessive exposure to lightning). i read that on the internet! But by 70 this will have taken place in Tibet in a monsoon, atop mount Kilimanjaro, which isnt even close and may include deep sea diving apparatus just to breath in the downpour! Hahaha lets do this story in 30 years and see how it goes.
    I hunt because......
    Check out my shops website!!! www.blackvelvetcustoms.com

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    200
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ump- that mite be the prime example of heaven on earth
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    What if you buy property and build a house and you and your family have killed 4 elk within site of the house (including a P&Y bull)

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •