Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanks guys. 6mm I was thinking about the video idea earlier. If I do that, I will definitely share the stories with you guys. I've heard them and they are pretty badass. It's neat to hear about what the costs of his trips were. Dirt cheap compared to now.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 6mm Remington View Post
    I would say just sit down with him and let him know how special you think those sheep mounts of his are and that you would hate to see something bad happen to them after he is gone. You want to make sure they are taken care of and shared with others who I believe would feel it a very special thing to get to see them. Thanks for sharing the photographs with us because they are really very special. I think you should sit down with him with a digital recorder going and have him tell you the stories of how he got each ram so that you could have that record also just to be a part of the memory of these animals and this special guy that was able to take them.
    David.
    Great idea 6mm
    NRA Life Member OHA Life Member
    Hunter for Life

Thanks
    I'd put the narrower sheep in the 190-200 range, that wider one should break 205. I wouldn't be suprised to see a 200+ score on the narrow ram either. great sheep!!
    People in SUV's and suburbs will kill more game animals than a man with a bow, ever could.

Thanks
    A guy can just sit and look at those sheep all day long! I think 6mm has some great ideas and i really like the idea of getting the stories with the pictures. heck, maybe he'll pass them on to you. thank you for sharing the pictures with the members of the forum.

Thanks
    That stone sheep is an absolute monster, and is BEGGING for an official measuring. Sounds like a neat old guy. Thanks for posting.

Thanks
    Bitterroot Bulls I was just going to add to my post today and suggest that BigSurArcher ask if he could contact an official measurer in the are where this gentlemen lives if he would be willing to have his trophies scored. It would be a neat way I believe to honor both the animal and the hunter if they were officially scored for Boone & Crockett. I don't doubt that the Stone would be way up there and the larger of the two Dalls looks like he would score high as well. They don't charge to score animals and it's a minimal fee to have them officially registered in the record book. I think that would be really special if this took place before the old guy wasn't with us any longer!
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    great idea 6mm! those sheep are fantastic and the stories behind them would probably be just a good !

Thanks
    I have looked at these pics and have talked to a boone and crocket scorer, would love to have more info about these rams

Thanks
    Keep us posted on what happens. It is a very tough conversation to have for sure. I really like 6mm's approach and think you should definitely give it a go. These are special sheep to all that can appreciate how amazingly tough sheep are to hunt.
    Support Hunt of a Lifetime, granting hunting and fishing dreams to kids with terminal or life-threatening illnesses. [www.huntofalifetime.org]

Hunt hard and live with no regrets!!!

Thanks
    Wow! This is indeed a huge ram, with tons of mass, it it amazing!

From the pics and due to the sheer mass of this ram, it is hard to get a sense of the length of the horns. The top three Stone rams of all time (190 to 196 class rams) have horn length in the 46" to 50" range. Often flaring horned rams like this one, have tight curls and look deceivingly long. Boy, I don't know though...with all that mass, this ram might have it all.

Some background...the largest Stone ram ever harvested is the Chadwick ram and scores 196 6/8. Many consider the Chadwick ram to be the finest North American trophy ever taken by a hunter. The Chadwick ram is a big piece of North American hunting heritage. The second largest Stone ram of all time scored 190, and I believe there have only been four Stones rams EVER harvested that are over 185.

If this ram actually is a 190+ ram, an organization like the Wild Sheep Foundation really needs be involved. I would highly recommend forwarding your pictures to the Wild Sheep Foundation in Cody Wyoming. They are the leading conservation organization for wild sheep in North America.