Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Vortex Razor HD 16-48x65

I'm looking to start hunting the west doing DIY hunts and am looking to get a good quality spotter. I want to buy once and be done with it. I'd like to hear from anyone that has experience with this scope that could tell me pros or cons with it. Also, in this price range, is there any spotters that might be better that I should look into? No one around where I live carries Vortex so any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    After a long time looking, this is the scope I got this year. I think the optics are outstanding and the weight is acceptable for hunting well off the road.

For me, this scope is a great compromise, one that I can take anywhere, with the best warranty and great optics for the price. It's in the sweet spot for what I want.

For people who don't like compromise, who want the brightest or the lightest, or optics that are just a tiny bit more clear and who have more money than I do for glass, they'll choose another size, or maybe another brand.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I purchased that scope about two months ago and have really enjoyed it, I can see bullet holes in my target pretty well out to 600 yrds , I can still see holes out farther than that but the conditions haft to be just rite ( no mirage , good light, solid rest, exc) since there hasn't been a hunting season since I bought it I cant tell you any thing bout a hard core field test , but seems to be a perfect fit for me, I got the angled eye piece and it works good. Also the twistable eye cup is a great feature, as well as the fast and slow fine tune knobs on the same shaft it really helps getting focused in quickly. I seriously considered getting the 85 but after comparing them both I couldn't see that much better of glass to pay the extra $500 it would also take up to much more pack space.. I guess if I had to mention a dis like it would be the hard to get on and off quickly end caps , and the bulky scope cover. I hope this is help full! good luck!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I bought the Vortex Razor 65mm spotter back earlier this year as I am gearing up for a WY mule deer hunt myself. I have the straight eye piece. This is my first spotting scope so I don't have a whole lot of experience with other spotters except at the rifle range. I can say that when the conditions are right, the image is very clear, sharp, and bright. Can't imagine finding better quality at a comparable price. The Vortex warranty is hard to beat also. Only negative is the cover that comes with the scope. It is not very impressive. I am waiting for Vortex to start offering the neoprene fitted cover for the 65mm.

As far as the 65mm vs the 85mm, just remember if you are gonna be carrying this in a pack on your back, the 85mm is pretty bulky and heavier than the 65mm. Those extra pounds can add up very quickly in a back pack!

One more thing, you will need a good quality tripod with a good quality head on it to get the most our of your spotting scope.

Check out cameraland on the web to buy the spotting scope.

Good Luck

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LaHunter View Post
    I bought the Vortex Razor 65mm spotter back earlier this year as I am gearing up for a WY mule deer hunt myself. I have the straight eye piece. This is my first spotting scope so I don't have a whole lot of experience with other spotters except at the rifle range. I can say that when the conditions are right, the image is very clear, sharp, and bright. Can't imagine finding better quality at a comparable price. The Vortex warranty is hard to beat also. Only negative is the cover that comes with the scope. It is not very impressive. I am waiting for Vortex to start offering the neoprene fitted cover for the 65mm.

As far as the 65mm vs the 85mm, just remember if you are gonna be carrying this in a pack on your back, the 85mm is pretty bulky and heavier than the 65mm. Those extra pounds can add up very quickly in a back pack!

One more thing, you will need a good quality tripod with a good quality head on it to get the most our of your spotting scope.

Check out cameraland on the web to buy the spotting scope.

Good Luck
    I thought you guys only hunted ducks down there in west monroe?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hey Buckbull,

Ducks are definately in danger when they get anywhere in Louisiana! That's for sure.
    I have to assume you are referring to Duck Dynasty / Duck Commander. That was a good one.
    Believe it or not, that is not a 100% accurate representation of all of the residents of West Monroe, some of us are primarily deer hunters.
    I used to duck hunt a lot, but time and $$$ always seems to be limited. Since deer hunting has always been my passion, I don't duck hunt much anymore.
    Now, I am doing my best at becoming a "western hunter". 1st mule deer hunt to WY this coming October.

Take Care

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LaHunter View Post
    Hey Buckbull,

Ducks are definately in danger when they get anywhere in Louisiana! That's for sure.
    I have to assume you are referring to Duck Dynasty / Duck Commander. That was a good one.
    Believe it or not, that is not a 100% accurate representation of all of the residents of West Monroe, some of us are primarily deer hunters.
    I used to duck hunt a lot, but time and $$$ always seems to be limited. Since deer hunting has always been my passion, I don't duck hunt much anymore.
    Now, I am doing my best at becoming a "western hunter". 1st mule deer hunt to WY this coming October.

Take Care
    Yeah, it was my attempt at humor. I love duck dynasty although I think alot of it is scripted like any other "reality show". Good luck on your mule deer hunt. I love hunting out west. I would move from Illinois and great whitetail hunting without hesitation.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for all the responses. I really do appreciate the input. I think I'll be purchasing one here in the next week or 2. It just seems like the best compromise between quality and price. Any ideas or recommendations for a good tripod? I don't know where to start. LaHunter, I saw a neoprene cover for these scopes on a site I was looking at...it might have been amazon. I think it was around 45 bucks. I'll be going this route once I get my scope. Good luck on your hunt this fall. I'm in need of a little myself. Worse case scenario, I'll be spending a week in some of the prettiest country in the US and developing my western hunting skill set. Y'all take care! Thanks again for the help

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hey tkeslar,

I have a Promaster 525 carbon fiber tripod and a Promaster pan head. This setup will compact down to under 17" for packing and weighs under 3.5# (not sure of exact weight). I like the twist lock legs on this tripod vs the clamp lock style legs on others.
    Just one option for you.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 1 Post
    +1 on that tripod and head. I really like mine for the same reason, 3lbs compact and quick.