Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nebraska Antelope

I've been in Nebraska for three years and for the three years I have been researching and scouting antelope. I have a spot I have picked out only because a group of guys and I are going there to go fishing for 5 days. I've mule deer hunted there late muzzleloader season and saw a few goats. So I am debating on getting an archery tag to see if I can sneak out for a few days to hunt.

I've talked to the game and parks who I feel sent me on a wild goose chase. My wife and I walked around 8 miles in the area he told us to scout and didn't see any goats and few tracks. I made it to the area I wanted to scout the next day and only had a couple hours to scout since we were going to go back home (5 hour drive). We went early Saturday and went home Sunday. Not a lot of time to scout but I did a lot of aerial photo scouting and found some places that interested me and also places I had already saw goats. About 15 minutes into our 3 mile drive back into a spot I located two goats a buck and doe. Already look to be starting the rut or pre rut. Didn't spend any time walking due to the fact we were going to going back soon and we were pretty sore from our first hike. In this area there are two valleys I am interested in and more natural water holes verses the cattle tanks. I have seen all the antelope on this park around natural verses the tanks. I would like to go back up and scout one more time however I don't think the wife will allow it due to tight gas money.

Being this is my first attempt at an antelope I am not going to be picky at what I take just as long as it is a buck. Just not sure I want to spend the money on a tag and hunt when I could be hanging out with the guys fishing. I really want to hunt just kinda a little disappointed in the information the game and parks gave me and only seeing two goats. Yet it was only about 15 to 30 minutes of scouting and I did see two goats in that time. This area probably won't have as much of a chance like farther west would. Just trying to figure out my options.

This is more me thinking outloud than asking any questions. Yet any incouragement is welcomed.

Nebraska Outlander

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ya might want to run it by the wife first.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Uh...resident antelope tag is $35. That's half a tank of gas. If you are doing it right you should burn about 3/4 a tank a day hunting goats out there so....if funds are really that tight, stick with the fishing.

We'll be archery hunting in South Dakota the third week in Sep and if we tag out we'll come to Nebraska and pick up a couple more tags. If you want to PM where u guys are fishing I might be able to help you out. There's plenty of goats if you look in the right places, sounds like you are not in the right spot.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    we do okay money wise but hard to justify to my wife $250 in gas money for an antelope. We can afford it just wish I would have scouted area where I planned to hunt. Again this is all new to me still learning!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Also I live300 miles from where I'm hunting so at least two full thanks of gas at $85. Wish it was my back yard but its not.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm sympathetic, I live over 1,000 miles from all three of my expensive non-resident tags.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Dont factor costs into hunting. Those two things dont mesh well. Your going for an enjoyable experience. Thats priceless. Antelope hunting is as much fun as you can have with your pants on!
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Im with Hardstalk!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yeah I live on the east side of state. So will be going out there in a couple weeks with no scouting but will be out there for a week. Just going with 4 buddys so that will help to keep the cost down somewhat.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4