Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

2013 kuiu icon pack reviews???

I would like to hear from some users/owners of the new 2013 Icon packs. Looking at the KUIU web site, they seem to be excellent packs based on all the info and descriptions, but real world reviews carry more credibility.

It would be good to hear about 1) load carrying ability/comfort 2) frame/suspension functionality and durabilty
    3) pack fabric durability 3) accessabililty / organization (pockets/zippers) 4) waist belt functionality and comfort 5) how well does it compress down to day pack mode?

I know there are other outstanding packs available. With most of them there is already quite a bit of info and reviews on them. Not so with the new 2013 Icon Packs. Please keep replys limited to Icon packs.

Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have the 7200 and the 1850. I sold my older 6000 and 3000 with an older frame suspension because I liked the idea of the day pack large pack interchange. Here is what I have on it so far based on some training with the pack and a recent antelope hunt in Wyoming...

Initially, I thought the pack was less comfortable than the older system. After spending about 30 min or so getting things adjusted for me based on the instructions included with the pack, it seems to be fit just about the same as the older model. The older model was most likely the most comfortable pack with a moderate load I had ever worn. This seems to be the equal to that pack so far.

The organization of this pack/bag is awesome. There are pockets everywhere in this bag and I love it. It keeps things very well organized and seperated. I also love the ability to place a load between the frame and the bag, although I haven't used this feature yet.

The frame and suspension is not much different in this model compared to the older version so whatever you have read about probably still holds true.

Changing from the 7200 to the 1850 with the frame is easy, and thats the way I used it for my antelope hunt. The frame and suspension with the 1850 makes it feel less like a day pack, but that's is the only way to get the added capacity with the 1850. Haven't tried just the day pack mode with the 1850 yet.

I can post more after I hunt in BC later this month. Gonna get to see this pack in action and will share more results then.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to doc06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I was considering getting this setup until I read a few reviews on the Kuiu forum and people were saying that the fabric is weak and the ripped them the first time out. Not something I would expect from a $550 pack.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    They do use a weaker cordura (160 denier) compared to other high end packs.

My Kifaru is 500 denier cordura with a double layer at the bottom, not to mention the pack & frame still weigh less than the KUIU system with the same capacity. Where the Kifaru kills it though is the modularity and customization.

Apologies to the OP, I know you only want to hear about KUIU.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I too have be seriously considering getting the 5200 and have read the same two comments about the fabric and not sure its worth the risk or not. Hopefully we can hear a few more folks chime in here that might have more experience with it. Fortunately I only live about 30 mins from KUIU and was considering driving over there and checking a pack out first hand before buying.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I had an ICON 3000 since they came out and was very happy with it.
    I just got the 1850 and it is awesome. Haven't packed meat with it yet but it's very comfortable with a 100 oz bladder and all my gear including the Swaro scope and tripod.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 53 Times in 9 Posts
    The 1850 is a slick rig, and the fabric is pretty much good to go for durability. The few who have posted about the 160D tearing are FAR outweighed by the ones who have not had problems (and therefor you don't hear from them). I can't speak specific numbers but in getting feedback this year, it's less than 1% of buyers who have torn their bags and gotten back to us about it. Those of us in the office who hunt have put in well over 120 hard hunting days from California to the Arctic with our packs the past few months with no tears in the fabric.

Magnum12 I hope you come in and check them out!

Todd

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 3 Posts
    I've put my Icon 6000 through the ringer over the last two years. A few backpacking rips, a lot of in state daily trips, and just backpacking in general with it. Absolutely no complaints and definitely no "ripping" problems of the material. This pack fits my body perfectly where the Kifaru did not......and I'm not quite sure my Kifaru was actually lighter when weighed, either.

I would think the 1850 would be just as functional and reliable as my 6000. JMO.
    BOHNTR )))----------->

B&C / P&Y Official Measurer

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I really like the 2013 Frame improvements as well. My 2011 frame had issues with Carbon fiber tearing at the lower load stay. A quick call was all that was needed and I was sent a shipping label from the customer service dept; and my new pack was in my hands about a week later. New frame is noticeably more rigid, with vastly improved reinforcement at the frame stays. I have the original pack and the 6000 to swap on the frame, and neither have had rips to date- That being said, I had my original packs load-lifters double bar-tacked before I ever used it. The new pack all has extra stitching at critical points. I cannot say I have had more than 80-ish pounds in it, but the frame handles those loads well, with decreased sway from the previous frame.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 53 Times in 9 Posts
    A few photos of the Icon 7200 in action this season. What did you end up going with LaHunter?