Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    He'll tell you the same thing I will. Thor, Barnes, or a 338 Powerbelt Platinum if you want to shoot PB's. I'm a mod on his forum, and sometimes we hunt together. We think alike.

Lots of options if you want to shoot heavy lead conicals, but if you can shoot sabots. Try the 290gr Barnes. A pretty proven bullet that will take an elk easily.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have the TC Pro Hunter and shoot 150 grains Pyrodex pellets pushing a 300 grain TC shockwave sabot. My normal group with open sights off a bench rest is around 2".

Killed this buck at 110 yards.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	09 muzzleloader 3 (557x480) (557x480).jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	6339

Killed this bull at 170 yards. He walked 10 feet and tipped over.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elk hunt 10 376 (800x600).jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	6340

I tried different loads with different sabots and was unable to get anything on paper let alone group up. I have not tried loose powder...............yet. I am going to try the Thor bullets just to see how they compare to what I got going on now. I just dont feel the need to mess with anything right now since the current load killed 2 in 2 shots. Was unimpressed on how the bullet mushroomed on the elk though.

Just my 2 cents!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    He'll tell you the same thing I will. Thor, Barnes, or a 338 Powerbelt Platinum if you want to shoot PB's. I'm a mod on his forum, and sometimes we hunt together. We think alike.

Lots of options if you want to shoot heavy lead conicals, but if you can shoot sabots. Try the 290gr Barnes. A pretty proven bullet that will take an elk easily.
    250gr thors or 300gr whats the best that you think old hunt

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    They'll both work ok, but the 300gr will give you a little extra hitting power if you hit a bone.

The only negative about Thor's is they can be a bit finicky getting the right fit. The Barnes sabot is the same bullet, and it's much easier to get a good tight fit.

I assume you know Barnes makes Thor's, and I doubt you can get any 300gr Thors this time of year. He was out the last time I heard.
    Last edited by Old Hunter; 08-27-2013 at 03:32 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    old hunter is correct on the conical info he has given for elk

I much prefer the thor as its solid copper and expands greatly and leaves huge holes in the game they hit. They can be bore size picky at times, old cva's Pre 2008 are often small in bore size and thors wont fit them, same with the traditions sidelock guns.

The best bet, let me know what gun you have, the ignition type " 209 - #11 ect" what caliber and the powder you plan on using. This is the easiest way for me to help get you started without confusing you with a try this or that list. If youre hunting colorado, I'll give you that info on what to use to stay legal and if you hunt other places where sabots are legal, i'll get you set up in that department as well.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    He said he can use sabots in his state. That's why I think the Barnes is a good choice. I doubt he can get Thors now. What do you think? Isn't Terry out of them?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    hes out of the 300s but has the 250s in stock for a little while.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think the 290gr Barnes is a better bet for him. He'll be sure of a nice tight fit. He'll have to swab with the crappy T7 though.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontierMuzzleloading View Post
    old hunter is correct on the conical info he has given for elk

I much prefer the thor as its solid copper and expands greatly and leaves huge holes in the game they hit. They can be bore size picky at times, old cva's Pre 2008 are often small in bore size and thors wont fit them, same with the traditions sidelock guns.

The best bet, let me know what gun you have, the ignition type " 209 - #11 ect" what caliber and the powder you plan on using. This is the easiest way for me to help get you started without confusing you with a try this or that list. If youre hunting colorado, I'll give you that info on what to use to stay legal and if you hunt other places where sabots are legal, i'll get you set up in that department as well.
    I have a t/c pro hunter xt Im shooting win 209 shotgun primers an thinking about changing over to bh209 after shooting up my t7 powder I have shot muzzleloaders for years just new to the open sights an full bore hunting in Colorado I will get some thors later this year an try them out next spring an work a load that shoots best Thanks for the info

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    He said he can use sabots in his state. That's why I think the Barnes is a good choice. I doubt he can get Thors now. What do you think? Isn't Terry out of them?
    Yes Old Hunter shoot t/c shock waves an barnes sabots here at home an used boned t/c shock waves in 08 on a NM elk hunt they held up well