Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    OP I have the same problem with the Thor's. I could get the first one in with a little pressure. Then the next I would have to pound on the ram rod in order to get it down the barrel. I am also concerned about a follow up shot with them. I would have to buy a new breech plug to use BH209 in my CVA Accura V2. I have been talking to a bunch of people and I am starting to think I may just go with the PB. They load great even after 20 shots and are really accurate in my ML. A few of my buddies I have talked to said they have been using PB since they came out and have never had a problem with them. Do you really need expansion on a bullet that is already a .50 cal? I know it prob helps, but most rifle bullets don't even open that much.

I will make another trip out with the Thor's and see if I can figure something out. Would like to use them, but not if it means that I can't get a follow up shot if need be.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jarheadhunter View Post
    OP I have the same problem with the Thor's. I could get the first one in with a little pressure. Then the next I would have to pound on the ram rod in order to get it down the barrel. I am also concerned about a follow up shot with them. I would have to buy a new breech plug to use BH209 in my CVA Accura V2. I have been talking to a bunch of people and I am starting to think I may just go with the PB. They load great even after 20 shots and are really accurate in my ML. A few of my buddies I have talked to said they have been using PB since they came out and have never had a problem with them. Do you really need expansion on a bullet that is already a .50 cal? I know it prob helps, but most rifle bullets don't even open that much.

I will make another trip out with the Thor's and see if I can figure something out. Would like to use them, but not if it means that I can't get a follow up shot if need be.
    Have you tried T7 or Kleene bore primers? I guess these primers may eliminate or at least decrease the "crud ring" left behind from using T7 powder. Maybe a second or third load would go down easier using these? I'm gonna give it a try since I have T7 powder left. I got the smaller .501 in the mail today. Hopefully the smaller diameter bullet will be enough to get in a second load without swabbing? Will see... I also wanna try the BH209 as well.

Banned
    Thanks
    Expansion is not the problem with Powerbelts. Over expansion is the problem. Just don't push them too fast, and they work fine if you match the bullet weight to the animal.

Thanks
    I am using the T7 primers with 100 GR Hodgdon T7 powder. I don't think it helped much.

Thanks
    I am using the T7 primers with 100 GR Hodgdon T7 powder. I don't think it helped much.
    Have you thought about using a smaller diameter Thor?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CoHiCntry View Post
    Have you thought about using a smaller diameter Thor?
    I thought about it. I am using the .501 because the .500 I could basically push it in lightly with my finger and it would drop by itself. The .501 I am using were not bad starting out with the first one and showed rifling marks on the side. The .500 showed no sings of rifling.

Thanks
    I thought about it. I am using the .501 because the .500 I could basically push it in lightly with my finger and it would drop by itself. The .501 I am using were not bad starting out with the first one and showed rifling marks on the side. The .500 showed no sings of rifling.
    In my experience the sample pack was pretty useless. If you've only tried the sample pack bullet and not the a actual bullets they sell you might be surprised to find the smaller one fits tight enough???

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CoHiCntry View Post
    In my experience the sample pack was pretty useless. If you've only tried the sample pack bullet and not the a actual bullets they sell you might be surprised to find the smaller one fits tight enough???
    Yeah only problem with that is then I would have to dump another $85 for more ML bullets. I don't know why they would give you a sample pack and have them be different sizes? Not saying that your wrong just doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks
    Yeah only problem with that is then I would have to dump another $85 for more ML bullets. I don't know why they would give you a sample pack and have them be different sizes? Not saying that your wrong just doesn't make sense to me.
    I'm not sure either? Maybe it was a fluke thing for me and doesn't happen to others? Another option, and one I'm considering if I can't get it figured out is to use the Thor as your first shot bullet then have some powerbelts in your speed loaders that will load easy with the fouled barrel for a follow up shot if needed. Of course the powerbelt would have to have a similar poi. Hopefully one shot will do...

Banned
    Thanks
    Sadly, the Thors don't always run true to size. Terry is very aware of this, and is trying to get tighter tolerances when he sizes them. If you buy some, and they don't fit. He'll exchange them for another size.

Here's another problem. Muzzleloaders don't have straight barrels. Out of the 7 CVA inlines I owned in the past, only one of them had a perfectly straight bore. I could start a Thor easily by hand at the muzzle, and it pushed down with perfect even pressure all the way down to the powder. Surprisingly it was the cheaper Wolf that had the good barrel. Three Accuras, two Optimas, and one other Wolf all had a loose spot as the bullet approached the powder. I also had a Knight that had a straight bore. I never had a TC that was straight. Even the sidelocks, but those got a PRB, so it didn't matter.

Guys aren't aware of this, because they use bullets like Powerbelts and sabots they take up the changing dimensions of the bore. When you use a bullet like the Thor that's copper and doesn't give much like lead does. You need a perfect fit with a perfect bore. Not easy to get.

It's a pet peeve on mine. When I push a bullet down the bore. I want to feel the same pressure all the way down. If I don't. At some point the gun will be sold.

I'm just into traditional sidelocks now shooting a PRB, so the problem has disappeared for me. The patch will take up any slack, but I still prefer to feel a steady pressure loading. Yes, i'm picky.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Hunter For This Useful Post:

CoHiCntry (08-28-2013)