Thread: Boot Help

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 25 Times in 3 Posts

Boot Help

Ok, so here is the deal. I have a really hard time finding boots that fit me well. I wear a size 13 (depending on the boot) and I have a very skinny foot with fairly long toes... thanks dad... Right now, I have two pairs of boots I hunt in. I have Under Armour Speed Freak boots that I love, but they don't have a great sole for going over rocky terrain and are starting to leak. I like them because they are super light and fit like a tennis shoe and are comfortable for miles in the right terrain, but again, they are starting to leak. My other boots are Danner Pronghorns which are also comfortable, but they don't fit that great. I have to wear a thick pair of socks with another pair of thin socks to suck up the difference even with the D width boots laced as tight as they can go. I tried a new insole, but it pushed my heel up too high and I got blisters. So, basically, I'm looking for a good pair of uninsulated boots that are light weight and will last a long time that will fit my foot. I haven't really ever tried any of the higher end boots because I can't bring myself to pay that much for a pair of boots, but at this point I'm giving up and will be looking for new boots for my hunt in November. Anyone else have skis for feet and have good options for boots?
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 37 Times in 2 Posts
    I have the same type of foot as you do, size 12 that is skinny with long toes. I hunted in a pair of Danner Pronghorns for 3 years and thought they were good boots and held up well hunting timberline. I was the same as you and couldn't bring myself to spend the money for the upper tier boots. I finally broke down and bought the Meindl Denali that Cabela's sells. They are uninsulated and a very heavy duty boot. They are stiff but that is what I needed for hunting timberline and the high country in Colorado from June to October. I hunted in them last year and loved them. They are comfortable and provide tremendous support. They hold up well on rocky terrain and I am sure they will last me a few more seasons ( I put 50+ miles on my boots between June and October). I still use my insulated Pronghorns during the November rifle season here in Colorado. I recommend trying boots on before you spend 250 + on boots though. The Denalis run 280.00
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Here are some makers of hunting boots that others have said run narrow:
    Lowa (can be ordered and shipped to REI)
    LaSportiva Glaciers
    Kayland

You might be able to find a custom boot maker - there is one in Spokane called Nicks 1-800-824-2685 http://www.nicksboots.com/. They specialize in firemen's boots but they do hunting boots too. They take custom orders for out-of-state customers using tracings of your feet. Then, get a custom insole made.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Also try Scarpa and Tecnica for narrow feet. You can also try Lathrop & Sons http://www.lathropandsons.com/

Good luck. It can take a long time to find the right boot but it sure is worth it. Nothing ruins a hunt like sore feet.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hoshour View Post
    Also try Scarpa and Tecnica for narrow feet. You can also try Lathrop & Sons http://www.lathropandsons.com/

Good luck. It can take a long time to find the right boot but it sure is worth it. Nothing ruins a hunt like sore feet.
    The blisters on my feet from this weekend approve of this statement... Another thing to make sure of is that your waterproof boots are really waterproof and not sponges...

A gallon of water in your boots that are sliding around on the blisters on the bottom of your feet makes for a really bad day.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 33 Times in 3 Posts
    I too have a narrow foot (11.5 B width). In addition to having long narrow feet, my feet are as flat as a pancake. Even with thick socks a medium D width is too wide. I have found that some Vasque, Redwing and Kennetrek boots come in narrow widths. I have also seen some narrow width boots in the LL Bean catalogue. Also try Zappos on the internet. Good luck and let us know what you find that works.