Thread: Yosemite Fire

Thanks

Yosemite Fire

I sure hope they can get a handle on this fire and get it out ....SOON! In 3 weeks I am returning to California for our annual wilderness deer hunt. We have had fires near us before and the smoke is miserable and makes hunting tough. My family has gone to the same camp since 1946 in the Ansel Adams Wilderness via a spot pack. This year I will be taking some of my Dad's ashes to place in his favorite hunting spot. Cousins, my son and friends will be going too, there will be 10 of us.

Get that damn thing out please....
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    my ashes will one day be spread out over the mountains i love, i think thats really neat colo cowboy. yeah that fire there is out of control, all of those trees that are the oldest trees on earth prob. i hope one of these days they will practice more fire prevention than actual fire extinguishing. has to be cheaper the other way. weve had our share f fires here in idaho this year, its been crazy, god bless those fighters and god please bring us some rain! storms are rolling in this week so thats good. good luck cowboy.

Thanks
    Little heads up, IT'S RAINING! I'm between Sacramento and Tahoe along I80, in Colfax. Watching the weather right now, and its expected to rain in the eastern high country the next couple days. It's been sprinkling for an hour now. Any rain right now is a good thing.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The smoke has been soooo bad for days here in Reno. News says that we have the worst air conditions in the country rite now. Lots of the kids outdoor sports are getting canceled, recess, and even talk about canceling the Rib Cookoff! I make a lot of money with all the outta town venders so I sure hope they get the fire under control this week.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    It is a pretty bad fire. I put off a horse pack trip this weekend into Hoover Wilderness not knowing how bad the smoke and all would fair. The smoke cloud goes through a big area. I'd be amazed if it jumps over the Sonora pass but it has spread farther than I thought it would so far.

Thanks
    That fire has been crazy. When I got up yesterday morning I couldn't see more than 150-200 yards into the field behind my house and we are a long way from the fire here in Jackson.

Thanks
    We've got smoke in our valley tonight and I could see the main plume earlier today drifting into the Owens Valley.

CC, you can track the progress here, it's a forum used by the firefighters: http://wlfhotlist.com/threads/36507-CA-STF-Rim/page4

Hope you get to make your trip.

They have units from as far away as Ventura and Lake counties headed to the fire.
    Last edited by JMSZ; 08-26-2013 at 01:30 AM.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Looked at the maps attached and I am more concerned with a fire south of the park called the Aspen fire. Could get lots of smoke from it too!
    Colorado Cowboy
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Hey Cowboy, The Aspen Fire is 95% contained with little smoke issues now. Mostly mop-up of smoldering trees, etc. By the time you head up it should not be a problem. You could get smoke from the Rim Fire if the wind changes. Heading back from Nevada on Friday we were in smoke from about 20 miles North of Winnemucca to Auburn Ca. Several of my former co-workers are working on the Rim Fire which exceeded 140,000 cares yesterday. A large area of the Stanislaus Forest is closed including areas where many friends hunt Deer (Unit D-6). I hunt in the Emigrant Wilderness and if they do not get a handle on this fire it may be an issue for me.

Thanks
    Yeah, I Googled it and saw that it's about done.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley