Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Probably the smallest tip known to mankind, but i'd take it with my sparkling smile.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks guys! I was thinking 10-15% but the input helps. It's my First elk hunt, figured DIY hunt would be a fools errand. Next year though...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Tip what you can afford based on the service you get.
    Last edited by Triple BB; 08-27-2013 at 08:17 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Dan, a standard tip in general is about 15% of your hunt cost. 10% to guide, 5% to packer/cook. Of course, all of your expectations should have been met and the outfit did what they said they were going to do. If you are guided by the outfitter it is reasonable to tip the staff and not him.
    Two Bear Outfitters
    www.elkoutfitters.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Do you tip the cook if you stay in a small hunting lodge or just tip the camp cook on a pack trip?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Tip as much as you can, ESP if you plan on hunting with him again, he will not forget a good tip. I'm taking my dad on a Kansas mulie hunt in two weeks and I'm prepared to split 20% up between the guide and cook, more to the guide than cook.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 26 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Man View Post
    Thanks guys! I was thinking 10-15% but the input helps. It's my First elk hunt, figured DIY hunt would be a fools errand. Next year though...
    how much are paying for your hunt my next elk hunt is $5000. a head i was thinking $200.for a tip
    Trying like hell to live the dream,Nomad

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Dustin, what I posted is just a general guideline. Our guides never expect a tip, that's how we operate. So when they get a tip, no matter the amount, it is a nice surprise. The hunter can tip any amount he/she chooses, or not at all if the service didn't warrant a tip.
    Two Bear Outfitters
    www.elkoutfitters.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by hoshour View Post
    Do you tip the cook if you stay in a small hunting lodge or just tip the camp cook on a pack trip?
    I would tip the cook but again, only if you feel they have done a good job.
    Two Bear Outfitters
    www.elkoutfitters.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 37 Times in 7 Posts
    Tipping takes discretion.

When you go out for a nice meal, you would normally tip 15% to 18% or so for an 1 to 1.5 hours of service. A waiter/waitress is going to wait several tables at a time and receive tips say in the $10 to $50 an hour range (depending on the restaurant).

On a hunt, a guide is going to start at 4 or 5 am and finish at 9 or 10 pm, working 16 to 18 hours a day. On a 1 on 1 hunt that guide is only serving you. On a seven day hunt tipping only $50 a day would be a $350 tip, and that works out to only $3 an hour.

You go on a 10 day hunt, and kill on the second day, so should you only tip $100? I wouldn't think so. The guide will not be guiding anyone else (no more tips during that hunt), and may have spent days or weeks scouting for that animal.

If you base it strictly on a percentage of the price of the hunt rather than the duration, some species are just going to cost far more due to supply and demand yet still require similar guiding effort. For example a stone sheep hunt is going to run $30K+, so should a person feel obligated to tip $4500 (15%) or $321 a day for a 14 day hunt? I think 14 days of elk hunting is every bit as strenuous yet the price of the hunt would be far less.

I've been on a few guided hunts. In one case the guide knew the area well. We got into multiple bull elk and killed on day four. I tipped him well.

On another hunt I went on, the outfitter had not secured the proper permits to hunt national forest land, and my guide drove me around in a pick-up truck and clearly had not scouted. Needless to say that hunt was a bomb and I didn't tip well. Later I was called by authorities that the outfitter was under investigation.

Again all that is to say to use your discretion and treat your guide as you would want to be treated. I've always carried enough cash to be generous, then see how the hunt actually plays out.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 09-03-2013 at 11:57 AM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)