Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

New to Western hunting

I been hunting for over 20 years now and have traveled all over Europe and most of the eastern US but haven't hunted the grate west. October of this year we will be heading to Saskatchewan CAN. for Elk, Mule deer and maybe a chance at a Moose . From what I been told and from my research area that we will be hunting consists of rolling hills and agriculture/farm land of CAN. I'm still somewhat young and I do work for myself so finding time to fish and hunt isn't that big of a deal. What I'm looking for is to experience western big game hunting DIY style. I've used outfitters and consulting companies in past and for most part been happy, I worked with great guy who got me some last minute hunting deals where I hunted solo and didn't mind it .. However the great west is still a dream that I'm looking to make reality. so if there is anyone out there that's willing to take a chance and show me the ropes I would greatly appreciated.. I'm located in southeast part of the country so a weekend trips would be tough.. thanks

Thanks
    First of all, welcome!

There are tons of great guys on here. It would help more though if you give a few more details of what you'd like to do. Elk, antelope, deer....

Thanks
    My suggestion would be to pick a state or 2 and study their regs and licensing structure and by all means start getting into the preferance point game. Most of the real good areas will require some points. Wyoming, Colorado and Montana are all great places to start. Most of us here on this forum hunt multiple states and if you pick one and ask about it, then someone will usually help you out.
    Hope this helps some.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Thank you ND Hunter.. I still have a lot of free wall space I wish to hunt all western critters big n small . I been trying to keep up with all the form and I'm shocked how much knowledge is here and how helpful most guys are.

Thanks
    Thanks colorado cowboy. I'm learning about different states and OTC tags/ units and points . 2014 season is something that I'm focusing on. I think by January I should have my ducks in line and I will be looking for some help on right choices for new comber .

Banned
    Thanks
    At first I thought you were asking about the Canada hunt. So, you're asking about a future hunt in the US? As was said. Pick a state, and it's easier to help.

Thanks
    Think about buying preference points right now for Wyoming. You can buy them through the end of September. You can buy antelope, deer and elk for $120. 1 point would get you into some decent antelope units in and 1 point for deer would get you into Region H for deer which is a good area. Also, MT is probably as good as it gets for what is basically now an OTC deer or elk tag. Hell if you really wanted to go this year, there are still tags left to purchase.

Banned
    Thanks
    That option is also available for Colorado. You can put in for a point, and take an OTC tag to hunt. You can also get an OTC this year for elk, but it's too late to get a point.

Some NR hunters never worry about points, and just come here, and buy an OTC tag. The tag is good for any OTC unit which is about 2/3 of the state. It will be crowded hunting, but if you don't mine some hiking you can get some solitude. You only need to look at the stats to see lots of elk are taken in OTC units.
    Last edited by Old Hunter; 08-29-2013 at 08:40 AM.

Thanks
    So much info thanks guys. I think I will buy points in Wy . Thanks ND its a good start for 2014 season

Thanks
    That's what I have started doing buying points in Wyoming and studying it