Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

What's an acceptable KE for Elk?

I'm trying to decide if I need to build heavier arrows for hunting Elk and Mule Deer. My current arrows are 370 grains with 100 grain broad heads. The bow is set around 65lbs and shoots those arrows at 312 fps. According to the Eastman calculator, that equates to 80 ft/lbs. is this plenty of KE for Elk or do I need to build new, heavier arrows? Thanks in adv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    i like using 300 grain shaft with 100 g heads, but your set up will do just fine.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Lol, I never cared. I shoot 100 grain tips and I only know that because its on the package. I get my arrows cut to length, put on a tip and shoot stuff. As long as you can hit your mark and do so while suffering from buck-fever shakes....its not going to matter much.
    Sharp broad-heads cut, they don't punch. Arrows are not bullets, so the whole KE argument is brought over from ballistics and does not truly apply to archery.
    That being said....here comes the peanut gallery to argue till the seasons over.
    I hunt because......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Didn't realize this was such a potentially heated topic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My wife just shot a small bull on sunday. The way the calculation works she has 41ft/lbs of KE. She hit the bull a little high right behind the shoulder at 34 yards. There was half of the arrow hanging out of the off side of the bull and he travelled less than 150yds and fell over dead. I would agree that KE is maybe a little overrated, her set up is a 360gr arrow at 230fps. Good 'ol muzzy 100gr broadhead CUT a perfect hole all the way through the bull.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 2 Posts
    This is my way of thinking. I practice long and hard with the best setup I can afford. I don't know how fast I'm shooting, all I know is that my arrow flies well. I am shooting a 406 grain arrow with a 100 grain tip. My thought is this, a heavier arrow will deliver a better punch on a larger animal if the shot is not perfect or if it is at a longer distance. For optimal penetration, I think weight is much more important than speed. For deer, I'm not too worried about either, but with elk, I want to be able to punch through as much of that animal as I can if I hit a rib or a shoulder or something like that. That is where I think weight comes into play. I personally don't think there is an exact number for any one setup. I think it matters how you and how your bow shoots your arrow. Shoot as heavy of an arrow as you wish, but make sure you are able to shoot your setup accurately. I think that is the bottom line. Everyone is more concerned about speed these days, which is always good, but you have to have weight behind it to help cut through everything. The way I think about it is this, if a pencil was traveling at a certain speed and a piece of metal the same size is going a little bit slower, which will penetrate further? The heavier slower one will. My 406 grain arrow is for deer and I will be bumping it up around 50 or so grains for elk if not more. I always like to say I'd rather hit something with a baseball bat than a rolled up newspaper. You can't swing as fast, but we all know which one will hurt more.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)